Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Headphones recommendation
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meyvn View Post
    The KSC75 are all kinds of awesome, especially at their price. You won't regret it.

As for Dimitri, the reason I'm hard on Bose is not a matter of price, but quality. There are thousand dollar headphones that I think justify their prices, at least far more than Bose. Apple actually offers a demonstratively superior product for its premium. Bose offers an inferior one, and it bothers me because it prevents truly excellent companies from succeeding. It's just so damging to both the consumer AND manufacturers.
    Sounds like you know what your talking about, so I'll report back after i modify them to the Apple harness.

Your Mac's Specs
    Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I don't feel Bose is inferior, just overpriced. If their stuff was priced about 50-60% lower, I think it would fall in line with other offerings.
    By 'inferior,' I mean inferior compared to other things priced the same or lower. I do agree that if they were priced much lower, they would be more comparable, but I think it would take more reduction the farther you go up their line. I think a reasonable pricing scheme would be: $35 for the TriPorts and on-ears, $50 for the QC2 and QC3, and $45 for the in-ear. Sonically I don't think that their headphones improve as you go up, and I think a $150-200 comfort and "noise cancelling" premium is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
    Sounds like you know what your talking about, so I'll report back after i modify them to the Apple harness.
    By the way, if the ones you get have an inline volume control (I think that all of them do these days), you can "mold" the sound a bit by fiddling with that. From my experience, the lower you put the volume on the headphones themselves, the bassier they get, and the higher you put the volume, the clearer the mids and highs get. It's not a MASSIVE difference, but it's pretty noticeable, I think.
    'cause when it rains, you know it pours.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MBP
    I was going to take the Koss phones you were talking about and solder the phones to the Apple harness. That way I can answer calls and talk on the phone through the headphones. I saw a video showing how to do it (by taking the new phones apart and de-soldering the connections and soldering the Apple harness to them) I figure for $25 i have nothing to lose. The end result would be better phones (as compared to the stock iphone buds) and still retain full functionality of the Apple harness.

The Bose phones do not have a volume control, if thats what your talking about.

Your Mac's Specs
    Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
    I was going to take the Koss phones you were talking about and solder the phones to the Apple harness. That way I can answer calls and talk on the phone through the headphones. I saw a video showing how to do it (by taking the new phones apart and de-soldering the connections and soldering the Apple harness to them) I figure for $25 i have nothing to lose. The end result would be better phones (as compared to the stock iphone buds) and still retain full functionality of the Apple harness.

The Bose phones do not have a volume control, if thats what your talking about.
    Actually, that's exactly what I did with an extra, broken (cable ripped) pair of KSC75s I had lying around; the iPhone earbuds hurt my ears to have in for more than twenty minutes, so they were essentially useless and I figured what the heck? The results were spectacular: I retain full microphone and clicker function, and the soft pads don't hurt my ears at all, while giving me way, way better sound quality. Anyway, I was not saying that the Bose had volume control, but that most KSC75s do. Obviously though, if you take them off the KSC75 cable and put them on the iBuds one, that will go away; frankly it sounds best withOUT the inline volume control, though.
    'cause when it rains, you know it pours.

Shure i2c is what I would get. I had a pair of e2c and they were great, they are just like the i2c but they didn't have the mic.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meyvn View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what I did with an extra, broken (cable ripped) pair of KSC75s I had lying around; the iPhone earbuds hurt my ears to have in for more than twenty minutes, so they were essentially useless and I figured what the heck? The results were spectacular: I retain full microphone and clicker function, and the soft pads don't hurt my ears at all, while giving me way, way better sound quality. Anyway, I was not saying that the Bose had volume control, but that most KSC75s do. Obviously though, if you take them off the KSC75 cable and put them on the iBuds one, that will go away; frankly it sounds best withOUT the inline volume control, though.
    Ah...Gotcha, I'll report back later this week after I do the conversion. (I still like my Bose Triports though

Check these out:

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/pr...5&cat=3&page=1

$49 and they have a mic, and the headphones are 16hz-20khz, which is awesome for semi-cheap 'phones.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake101st View Post
    Check these out:

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/pr...5&cat=3&page=1

$49 and they have a mic, and the headphones are 16hz-20khz, which is awesome for semi-cheap 'phones.
    Yep, that's the same concept that I will do, except I'm going to spend $25 on the Koss phones and put them on my original harness.

http://actuation.blogspot.com/2007/1...at-to-get.html

Thread Information