Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
    iPad air 2 for satnav?
    As above we've just bought this iPad to use as a satnav with google maps when we go to England. We live in Australia. It has a built in GPS but it won't give us directions once we leave home. I bought a sim card for it, but this made no difference. Google maps is installed and I'm now racking my brains trying to get it sorted out. I can sit here indoors and ask for directions to any destination and it starts off by telling me to go to the end of our street and turn whichever way, but that's it. The holiday's getting closer so I'd appreciate some help.
    Pete.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Do you have a cellular data plan for the iPad? I believe it works at home, because it is connected to your home Wi-Fi. What happens if you turn the Wi-Fi off in Settings? Also, which iOS (iPadOS 13?) version is it running?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Bob is on the right track. The GPS will give you positioning information, but you need Internet connectivity to be able to connect to any of the services to get the map information to overlay that positioning information. GPS alone isn't enough since this is not a standalone system with built-in maps like your car navigation system or the Garmin systems.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    If it's not cellular you should be able to hotspot it to your phone to get an internet connection but running cost depends on what plan you are on with your service provider (or a SIM bought in UK). I've done this in hospital where the wifi and TV is extortionate. I use google maps on my phone abroad for getting around.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
    Thanks all. It's on the latest ios 13.3.1, wi-fi off, no sim card and of course, no mobile data. I tried again last night; set up a destination and off I went. It actually worked perfectly until I took a deliberate wrong turn. It just didn't do a correction. So as suggested, I'll wait until we get to the UK and buy a sim card with data and calls. If I do this (thanks Ashwin) do I have to subscribe to something like google maps? Sorry for being pretty dumb but we've never done anything like this before.

One more thing. We're thinking of buying a Nokia plus1 or is it 1plus to maybe use as a wi-fi hotspot (all other phones are too dear for us) Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Pete.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You don't have to subscribe to Google Maps. Also, Apple Maps is pretty good and even includes the London Metro system. As far as the SIM card goes, someone (perhaps Ian) can explain how to get one when you arrive in the UK.

iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, so if I put the data/call sim card in, I'll get the maps, directions and corrections if I take a wrong turn? I know I'm being a bit fussy because I'm from England, but things are changing so much nowadays with new motorways and numbers on roads changing as well, I'm bound to make mistakes when I get into places like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Berwick etc, not to mention around the outskirts of London. I've already looked at some sim cards over there and they're remarkably cheap compared to Oz.
    Pete.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Hoody

Prompted by our good friend and Admin (chscag), I'll take up the challenge re a SIM card in the UK.

In fact my task could not be easier because I can link you to a long discussion on this exact topic within these Forums. Jake is the master traveller and I suggest you read his experiences.

And yes, SIM cards here are cheap.

Link: Best Pre-paid phone for use in London, England

BTW Apple Maps is much better than in the early days, although Google still leads.

Ian
    Ian

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    And, Hoody, don't be put off by the titles of the Link - it really is about SIM cards.

Ian
    Ian

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Forgive me but I don't understand why you bought an iPad for navigation when you can do the same thing on a smartphone. Is it the screen size which made you do that because for car driving, and walking around, it's almost always best to use the voice instructions?

Open the app, put in your destination and the means of travel - car/public transport/on foot and app will show you the routes and timings from where you are. You can add one or more stop off points before the final destination. You can get a feel for the screens by doing the same on Google Maps on your computer.

For motorways etc, Google will show you the lanes and talk you through which one you should be in for exit or turnings. The screen will highlight the correct lane. The only thing is that sometimes it will say turn left/right when it's merely a bend. If you miss an instruction it will recalculate and usually find another route rather than asking you to turn around. For our many roundabouts, Google will say first exit, second exit, fouth exit, whatever (even if it's straight on), rather than the destination name.

At least you already drive on the right - er, left - side of the road!

That Nokia phone does not get very good reviews on performance. Some others. Best budget smartphone 2020: The best cheap phones you can buy in the UK | Expert Reviews

Make sure hotspotting is included in the SIM price.
    Sue

iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for all the info everyone.
    Sue: Primarily I'm trying to do it at minimal cost, but my ignorance of sims, data, maps online etc made me think that getting the iPad would be the best thing. Unlike me not to do my homework, but I dropped a clanger this time. I think I'll take Jakes (via Ian's link) and see the people at EE at Heathrow. If my wife's iPhone 4S was up to it I'd just get the appropriate sim card for that, But it doesn't seem to pick up the gps signal very well. I was thinking about that Nokia plus 1, but out of the frying pan... doesn't appeal. Numbers of exits at roundabouts is the way I like it.

Once again, thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful.
    Pete.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Is it too late to get a refund on the iPad? Think Apple give refunds within 14 days of purchase.

The problem with the 4s is unlikely to be the phone itself, but the service provider signal. Try it with a different provider sim if possible.

One thing I forgot - buy a USB car adapter for charging (plugs into lighter socket) in case hire car does not have a USB port. Using maps devours battery power so best to keep plugged into car while using. They are a couple of pounds for a single but a double would be better so that you keep the ipad charged as well. Examples Double USB Car Charger: Amazon.co.uk

If you are passing Whitley Bay on your way to Scotland, call me and we can have a coffee in the fabulous Spanish City Dome on the seafront! Dire Straits Tunnel of Love is all about the Spanish City in its heyday mid 19c. YouTube
    Last edited by badshoehabit; 02-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    Sue

iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    We didn't get it from apple. It was bought refurbished from Kogan, but we'll keep it as it's really for my wife. It's got 64GB of storage against 16GB for the old one, so she can play games on it without filling it up. Just for the sake of it, I tried google maps with the iPhone with a sim card with data and it worked as I hoped it would. I took the wrong turn again and this time it sorted itself out and tried to re route me. So it looks like we'll bring the iPhone after all, and buy a sim card with data.

The Whitley Bay meet is a kind offer and we hope to take you up on it. How would we contact you? I remember delivering a load of steel window frames to a building site in the bay back in the 60's, can't remember where though. If we manage to see you, I hope you'll have some nice shoes on. :-)
    Pete.

iPad air 2 for satnav?
    Your Mac's Specs
    I always have nice shoes on! Will PM my contact details. Away a few times this year but if I'm home it would be great to meet up with someone from the forum. Met people from facebook groups, and made good friends, but no-one from here.

IMG_3736.jpeg
    Sue

iPad air 2 for satnav?

Your Mac's Specs
    OK I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Pete.

Thread Information