Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    iPad Pro 11 and Smart Keyboard Issues - opinions wanted
    In January I purchased an iPad Pro 11, the smart keyboard and the apple pencil 2.

I love the iPad Pro. I have the cellular version and it saved my sanity when our internet went out at home. I used my unlimited data on my iPad Pro to keep connected. - yes, I am sad and pathetic...

Anyway, my question. Recently when using the smart keyboard it no longer capitalizes the first letter of a sentence. Also for no reason I can figure out, it will start typing in all caps and nothing I do changes that EXCEPT disconnecting the keyboard from the ipad resets it and the caps typing quits but it still does not capitalize the first letter of a sentence.

If I remove the smart keyboard and just use the on screen keyboard it types perfect - no all caps.

I have cleaned the contacts on the iPad and the keyboard. I have checked all the settings in keyboards and they look good. I have reset the iPad. Still it will at random start typing in all caps. This stops if I disconnect the keyboard and reconnect it or I use the on screen keyboard.

I guess my question is should I return the keyboard and get it replaced?

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I guess my question is should I return the keyboard and get it replaced?
    Yes.

I have had my smart keyboard now for 2 years along with my iPad Pro 10.5" model and it types just as well as the Magic Keyboard 2 that I use for my iMac. You probably got a lemon. And lemons are only good for lemonade and ice tea.

Your Mac's Specs
    I figured. And I just had to reset it to type this reply. It is annoying. I just wanted confirmation I guess.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well I sent the capitalizing everything smart keyboard back. Then I picked up a new one at the Apple store. That solved the issue. The old one would randomly start typing in capitals and the problem was getting worse. This new one is doing great - so far!

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Well I sent the capitalizing everything smart keyboard back. Then I picked up a new one at the Apple store. That solved the issue. The old one would randomly start typing in capitals and the problem was getting worse. This new one is doing great - so far!

Lisa
    Congrats Lisa. It certainly can be pretty frustrating trying to solve an issue like this. I know in my case when troubleshooting...I want to assume that the hardware is fine...and the issue is either me or software or the OS. But if it can be deduced that it is the hardware...it's a nice-quick satisying fix!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    It definitely was the keyboard. Very weird but I am glad it wasn’t the iPad. Hopefully if this happens to someone else they will benefit from my findings.

Lisa

Thread Information