Old iPad won't rotate screen anymore
    I have an older iPad (wife currently has it in a nursing home and I can't check mfgr. date) which works just fine except the screen will no longer rotate when you flip over the device. It's old enough that it can't be upgraded to the latest OS, but as I said it worked just fine until fairly recently. I've tried everything I can think of in General Setup and nothing makes it rotate again. Actually being able to rotate it would give her the few inches of charging cord length she needs to comfortably use the iPad in bed. Any ideas?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by mistertudball View Post
    I have an older iPad (wife currently has it in a nursing home and I can't check mfgr. date) which works just fine except the screen will no longer rotate when you flip over the device. It's old enough that it can't be upgraded to the latest OS, but as I said it worked just fine until fairly recently. I've tried everything I can think of in General Setup and nothing makes it rotate again. Actually being able to rotate it would give her the few inches of charging cord length she needs to comfortably use the iPad in bed. Any ideas?
    Hello - first make sure that the 'Screen Orientation' lock has not been activated (I leave mine OFF, wife likes hers ON - ) - if that is not the issue, has a 'hard reset' been done? Methods vary depending on the iPad's age and model number. As to the 'cord length', charging cables come in different lengths and can be purchased cheaply and/or a battery backup can be used in the bed. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thanks for the reply, RadDave. My sister, who has an iPad even older than mine, said there's a little switch on the exterior edge that makes the screen rotate or not, but it must be REALLY tiny because I thought I looked all over that thing. Gonna look again next time I'm over there. Don't know how to do a hard reset but can Google that, I'm guessing.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for the reply, RadDave. My sister, who has an iPad even older than mine, said there's a little switch on the exterior edge that makes the screen rotate or not, but it must be REALLY tiny because I thought I looked all over that thing. Gonna look again next time I'm over there. Don't know how to do a hard reset but can Google that, I'm guessing.
    Well, you'll need to determine which iPad models are being used because hardware & iOS/iPadOS changes, so that the features/functions may be different. Since 2011, I'm on my third iPad (iPad 2 > iPad Air 2 > iPad Pro) - the 'Side Switch' is on the older models (was on my first one) - see pic below for location (above the volume controls) - the switch has a dual function depending on the feature's setting, i.e. could mute the device or fixate screen orientation (changeable in Settings). In newer iPad models, this feature is now controlled 'on screen'.

As to a 'hard reset', first determine your exact iPad model, i.e. Settings > General > About - Model or Serial number can be entered at EveryMac (see second pic below) and will bring up the exact model owned and ALL of its specs. Let us know if any of this is useful - so please post back - may help others. Dave
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 5.19.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 5.21.31 PM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I also vote for the hard or soft reset of the iPad. Just like rebooting a computer...it can clear a bunch of "digital confusion" out of the device.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I hang my head in shame after being an Apple user/owner for well over 30 years. Today I visited my wife and looked for a switch near the volume control ... and there it was. Switched off by accident I assume. I flipped it on and all is right with the world. Thank you for humoring me and for being there the next time I have a REAL problem!

Actually being able to rotate it would give her the few inches of charging cord length she needs to comfortably use the iPad in bed. Any ideas?

I'm coming in a bit late here, but after spending 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital and using my iPad 3 as best as I could, but to help out your wife with her previous problem, why not just use a longer extension or longer charging cord???

Then she would have lots of length to rotate or move her iPad.

Just a thought... ;-)

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    macbook air 2010 11" HSierra
    do not feel bad, everyone had minor problem they think are major.
    that is why we are here!
    i sold a Imac G4 last week thinking i need a logic board, reinstall or osx what ever osxcat and luck.
    the person who purchased that just replaced the pram battery, reset pram reformatted HD and everything works! i could have done that if i did not listen to negative advice.
    MacBook Air 2010 4gb Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    i fixed everything on the macbook my self and repaired many in the past.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I hang my head in shame after being an Apple user/owner for well over 30 years. Today I visited my wife and looked for a switch near the volume control ... and there it was. Switched off by accident I assume. I flipped it on and all is right with the world. Thank you for humoring me and for being there the next time I have a REAL problem!
    It was a REAL problem. Wishing you both well.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Congrats mistertudball. The important thing is problem solved & all is well.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I'm coming in a bit late here, but after spending 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital and using my iPad 3 as best as I could, but to help out your wife with her previous problem, why not just use a longer extension or longer charging cord???
    Hi Patrick - hoping that you're recovered or well on to your way! Good luck - Dave
    tenor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi Patrick - hoping that you're recovered or well on to your way! Good luck - Dave

Thanks Dave, I always appreciated Garfield. And a nice cheerful welcome.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information