Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

iPad pairing problem
    Hello.

Trying to pair iPads to a Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker. Speaker works fine on Bluetooth (got it paired to a nearby amp).

But when I try and get either a 2019 or a 2018 iPad to pair, neither machine recognises the Bluetooth device.

Anything obvious that I'm (probably) doing wrong? Or, any hints and tips to get the machines talking to each other?

Thanks.

Allen.

iPad pairing problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    When you tried to pie the Sony speaker with the iPad was it still paired with the amp? Apparently, some devices cannot pair with to things at the same time even fi they are not connected to two devices at the same time. I have two pair of cheap earbuds. One pair works fine with my iPhone and Mac while the other pair refuses to do so. Frustrating since, with the exception of a small difference in the case they look identical.

Making sure that bluetooth says "not connected" my not be enough. Try breaking the pairing with the speaker before pairing with one of the iPads.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thanks sly.

I did manage to get the iPad to 'see' the bluetooth speaker, but only temporarily. I had a bluetooth transmitter hanging out of the headphone socket on my amp, and if I took that away (several rooms) then I could pair, but not when they were both in the same vicinity!

Anyway, I got fed up and switched to the Sony Music Center app. It links into your own wifi network, putting the Sony speaker there, plus your iPad(s), plus your iTunes library, and then the speaker only needs switching from 'Network' to 'Bluetooth' to go from iPad connections to amp (radio) connection.

Dead simple, and it'll do the job.

Sometimes I long for the days of WIRES!

Allen.

iPad pairing problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Nice bit of detective work there. Thanks for posting back with that solution.

I had a similar problem recently with an Apple TV 3. When our internet went down all day I tried to play a video from the iMac to an Apple TV a few feet away. It did not work at all for longer clips. After a bit of reading it appears that if the internet is down and the Apple TV and Mac are on the same network the two devices won't see each other and he process seems to default to Bluetooth.
    Kevin Durant

Don't know if you're an old 'un like me, Sly, but I've watched these things now for nigh on 75 years, and I'm sure I recall being told that everything was going to get simpler...

A.

iPad pairing problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    If I'm not an old 'un yet (probably am) I certainly am heading in that direction rapidly. LOL I've certainly beeen around long enough to be wary any time a manufacturer uses the phrase "new and improved".
    Kevin Durant

One of our favourites is "The paperless office" from the 1990s. Oh yeah?

iPad pairing problem
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Even with electronic signatures and PDF documents these days I still find myself printing a document, signing it, scanning it and attaching it to an email in order to comply with legal regulations for many legal documents.
    Apparently a handwritten signature is still the be all and end all for identity confirmation and authorisation.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information