Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherited Mini

Inherited Mini
    I inherited my brother's iPad Mini and like a fool I turned it off. When I turned it back on it is asking to go through a Set-up. It wants his Apple ID and password which I don't know. Is there any hope? Could the Apple store help me?
    Thanks for any information.

Inherited Mini
    Turning off and on doesn't require you to go through the setup nor does it ask for Apple ID if the Mini was already setup. It should only be asking for a passcode (or touch ID if it is supported) to get into the device. The only way to get into the scenario you are potentially in is if you do a factory reset. If that's the case, then you don't need his Apple ID, assuming the iPad Mini is yours, you will need to use your Apple ID or create a new one.

The Apple Store will ONLY help with lock out or account issues if you can prove ownership which means a receipt or something which you most likely do not have.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Turning off and on doesn't require you to go through the setup nor does it ask for Apple ID if the Mini was already setup. It should only be asking for a passcode (or touch ID if it is supported) to get into the device. The only way to get into the scenario you are potentially in is if you do a factory reset. If that's the case, then you don't need his Apple ID, assuming the iPad Mini is yours, you will need to use your Apple ID or create a new one.

The Apple Store will ONLY help with lock out or account issues if you can prove ownership which means a receipt or something which you most likely do not have.

I truly did just turn it off and it is going through the set-up when I turn it back on. It is in Activation Lock mode right now. It says "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad" I tried my account name and password but it would not accept it.
    Thanks

Inherited Mini
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad" I tried my account name and password but it would not accept it.
    No; it won't accept it because the previous owner did not disassociate that Mac from his Apple ID.

As the previous owner is your brother, all he has to do is sign into his Apple ID account on the web, go into his account and find the devices attached to him. Then uncheck that particular Mac as belonging to him.

There is a well publicised method of making your Mac suitable for sale/gift to someone else and these steps have to be followed. This includes iTunes, Messages etc.

See here:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Ian
    Ian

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Contact your brother and have him assist you.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Inherited Mini
    Also, if you just turned it off and back on, it doesn't go through the process. If the iPad was reported lost or stolen in Find My iPhone, it goes into this mode. If you did inherit from your brother, ensure that isn't the case and he does the rest of what others have said to do to help you with the iPad.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    See if you and/or your brother can follow this, Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I thought the word inherited would let everyone know that my brother has passed away. That is why I don't know his user name or password. If I take the death certificate to the Apple store do you think they can help?

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry for your loss. Yes, I certainly misunderstood. But a lot of people say things like this (inherited), looking for a way to bypass this security feature.

It is a possibility, make sure you also ave the original purchase receipt, when you go to the Genius Bar.
    -- Bob --

Inherited Mini
    Sorry for your loss and we meant no offense. As Bob stated, the word inherited is commonly used term when it comes to used devices going from one person to another and thus we were going on that premise.

I, for one, honestly don't know what it would take to convince the Apple Store that the iPad is yours. I imagine that death certificate should be enough for them to not assume fraud and get you into the device. I'm not sure if they have a way of looking at devices associated with the Apple ID and grab the serial number of this mini to confirm that it was indeed linked to that account. There's no harm in you making a trip to your local Genius Bar and explaining the situation to them and see what they can do for you.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I doubt taking the death certificate to an Apple Store will convince Apple to remove the password lock. Unless you have the original receipt or can somehow prove it was purchased by your brother, Apple will likely refuse to unlock it. We have seen this situation before in these forums and Apple would not remove the password lock.

But as Ashwin stated above, give it a try at your local Apple Store. They might refuse but it's certainly worth trying.

Inherited Mini

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac (late 2013) El Capitan. iPad Mini.
    I am experiencing the exact same problem with my mini. I have not used it in over a year, but I recharged it and when I turned it on, it accepted my passkey but then went into activation lock. It asked me to enter my apple id and password. This I did, but it tells me that my apple id is incorrect. It is the only one I have ever used and when I log into iCloud, it's accepted. I went into iCloud and cancelled the 'find my iPad" facility, but on restarting the iPad, it came up with the same result. The only change that I have made since last using my iPad, was to change my WIFI internet connection from a ADSL router to a Fibre router. I don't know if that has any bearing on my problem. I bought the iPad new several years ago and no longer have the receipts, so if what I have read from the various replies above, it looks as though I may have to throw the thing away. I hope not as I really like it.

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    That sure is strange. Generally, the passkey will fail and then it will ask for your Apple ID and Password. Do you by chance have another Apple ID that you have used in the past?

Inherited Mini

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac (late 2013) El Capitan. iPad Mini.
    When I put the passcode in, it is accepted and then goes into activation lock. I have only ever used my email address as my Apple ID, but it comes up with Incorrect ID. As I said, my iCloud login accepts my ID without a problem. It's a pity as I have a lot of photos on my iPad that I would hate to lose.

Inherited Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    Somehow, your iPad has forgotten your Apple ID. One of the hazards of letting a device sit unused for long periods of time.

You could try DFU Restore to see if that will remove the lock, however, that will destroy all data on the iPad. Are your photos also stored in the cloud, or do you have a backup of what's on the iPad?

How to use DFU Restore

Thread Information