Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad Weather

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPhone XR, iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 8gb, macOS 10.14.5, iPad 9.7 IOS 12.3.1
    iPad Weather
    iPad IOS 12.1.1 . When I go to the weather widget it read Unable to load weather. I have location services on, weather on always too. I know I can load a weather app but just wanted to use the simple one installed. Anyone have this issue they resolved?
    Kenny

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Is your iPad connected to Wi-Fi, or is it a cellular iPad? I don't have a weather widget, that's why I asked? Maybe it's an Ap you installed?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Unless the iPad is cellular, the Apple supplied weather app is not loaded. I use a third party weather app on my WiFi only iPad Pro and it works fine as long as I have an internet connection.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    Bob thanks mine is wifi only. When I swipe to the right I get to the very first screen that has all these widgets (news, maps, stocks, etc) to look at and you can remove or add others. Was just trying to use what was there before adding an app.

chscag thanks so that explains way it doesn't work. I added a weather app on wives iPad that works great under wifi.

Problem solved thanks guys.
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
    Bob thanks mine is wifi only. When I swipe to the right I get to the very first screen that has all these widgets (news, maps, stocks, etc) to look at and you can remove or add others. Was just trying to use what was there before adding an app.

chscag thanks so that explains way it doesn't work. I added a weather app on wives iPad that works great under wifi.

Problem solved thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Unless the iPad is cellular, the Apple supplied weather app is not loaded. I use a third party weather app on my WiFi only iPad Pro and it works fine as long as I have an internet connection.
    I'm glad Kenny C found a solution, but if his iPad was not cellular, then why did he have the weather app and widget on his iPad and why wasn't it working? Strange...
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    I'm glad Kenny C found a solution, but if his iPad was not cellular, then why did he have the weather app and widget on his iPad and why wasn't it working? Strange...
    Maybe it is a cellular iPad, but no service contract with it?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    I find that strange also. One of the things I looked for when I turned on my 10.5" iPad Pro for the first time was the usual weather icon that Apple provides. I could not find it nor could I download it from the iTunes App Store even though I had the same app on my iPhone. The reason is because my iPad Pro is WiFi only.

Bob might be correct in that Kenny's iPad is cellular but with no data plan. Either that, or Apple is providing the weather app icon on the desktop screen even though it doesn't function. That doesn't make sense.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    Ok, I see it now. It's with the Notifications. I don't look at them that often, so I forgot about it being there. Mine works, so if yours isn't, something else is causing the issue.
    -- Bob --

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    Funny thing my wives air 2 does the same exact thing. Both of our iPads are wifi only and not cellular. On the bottom of the notification page it reads Weather information provided by The Weather Channel, LLC if you click on the link it open and it finds my location but the weather widget still reads Unable to Load Weather.
    Kenny

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    -- Bob --

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    @Kenny:

Like I said above, the Weather Channel app is not going to work without a cellular connection for some reason. It works great on my iPhone and it worked okay on my older iPad which had cellular capability and a data plan with T-Mobile. When I purchased my newer iPad (10.5" iPad Pro, WiFi only) the Weather Channel app was missing. And when I went to the iTunes Store, it was not available for download. But it is available from my iPhone. So what does that tell you? It tells me that it isn't going to work without a cellular connection.

However, there are numerous other Weather apps available for free. Some work with ads, but if you use an ad blocker on your iPad, those can be suppressed. That's what I do.

The discussion thread that Bob referred you to says that WiFi only devices do not use GPS for location services but instead use WiFi towers.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @Kenny:

Like I said above, the Weather Channel app is not going to work without a cellular connection for some reason. It works great on my iPhone and it worked okay on my older iPad which had cellular capability and a data plan with T-Mobile. When I purchased my newer iPad (10.5" iPad Pro, WiFi only) the Weather Channel app was missing. And when I went to the iTunes Store, it was not available for download. But it is available from my iPhone. So what does that tell you? It tells me that it isn't going to work without a cellular connection.

However, there are numerous other Weather apps available for free. Some work with ads, but if you use an ad blocker on your iPad, those can be suppressed. That's what I do.

The discussion thread that Bob referred you to says that WiFi only devices do not use GPS for location services but instead use WiFi towers.
    On my iPad Pro, I have the Apple included Weather widget. I don't have the Apple Weather App. My iPad Pro is Wi-Fi only.

Kenny, maybe now that you have another Weather App, the Weather widget will work for you? Mine works, but I have a few different weather apps.
    -- Bob --

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    On my iPad Pro, I have the Apple included Weather widget.
    I have zero widgets on my iPad Pro and was not aware that widgets were included with iOS? Unless you're using an old version of iTunes that still has the ability to download iOS apps and control them or move them around, I see no way to copy the Weather app from my iPhone to my iPad Pro. However, the Weather Channel app is a free download and works great. But unless you use an iOS ad blocker you will get ads across the bottom of the screen. I guess that's okay since viewing weather conditions is usually a quick look.

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    The widgets, are when you swipe to the right from the Home/Lock screen. Reminder, Up Next, Calendar, Find Friends, etc. That’s what Kenny called them, and it suited what they did, as far as I’m concerned. Like I said in Post # 8, they’re with the Notifications.
    -- Bob --

iPad Weather
    Your Mac's Specs
    Those are really not widgets. When you say widgets, I get a picture of what widgets look like on a Mac. I'm sure you remember those? Anyway, like I said above, the Weather Channel app is free, works great, and will do everything Kenny needs for weather watching.

Thread Information