Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid passcode for updating iPad4
    When I tried to update my iPad4 to 11.4 it asked for my passcode. Unfortunately I can't remember it. The iPad is backed up in iCloud but not in iTunes. I believe I have to erase the iPad to clear the passcode but I'm not sure if I can restore from iCloud. Most of the information I've seen about this problem refers mainly to iPhones and iTunes. Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    The procedure for iPhones and iPads are essentially the same IIRC. It has been a while since I had to do this.

One thing that may be a problem is with restoring from the iCloud backup. If the backup was done after the passcode was put onto the iPad, completeing a restoration from there may not help. I believe the iPad will continue to ask for the pascode once you restore from thge backup.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I believe Slydude is correct. You may have to erase the iPad and then set it up as a new device. However, any app that you downloaded from the App Store can be downloaded again if the app is still available. You will lose all your notes, messages, contacts, etc.

I would try restoring from backup first. If it asks for the passcode, then you can try setting it up as a new device.

Thank you for the responses. I was able to backup the iPad to iCloud and then used the procedure to restore/update from iTunes. It wiped the thing clean and I went through the “new device” setup. Once I finished that I did a restore from iCloud and after a while, VOILA!, everything was back and all my apps were updated. I have a new passcode and am going to sync with iTunes. Hopefully I won’t forget it if I have to go through this again.

I have a new passcode and am going to sync with iTunes. Hopefully I won’t forget it if I have to go through this again.

I think I'd be a bit more determined with a method to not forget any Mac or iDevice password and it may not be as easy to recover as it was this time, especially with all the various OS security stuff increasing all the time.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I think I'd be a bit more determined with a method to not forget any Mac or iDevice password and it may not be as easy to recover as it was this time, especially with all the various OS security stuff increasing all the time.

- Patrick
    ======
    I use my fingerprint to open my iPad, not a password. When trying to update to 11.4 Iwasnít given The option to use my fingerprint. The only time I use a password is when logging in to apps. I tried to use my Apple ID password for iTunes but it didnít accept it, and it asked for a passcode, not a password.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    When installing an update or after shutting down and restarting, you must enter your passcode. I usually keep my iPad Pro in standby or shutdown when I'm not going to use it for awhile and always have to enter my passcode instead of my finger print when I boot it up.

I use my fingerprint to open my iPad, not a password. When trying to update to 11.4 Iwasn’t given The option to use my fingerprint.

As I said, I'd make changes to preserve and keep your OS password available even if the installer goofed up, at least in my opinion. Apple changes things as you know and is sometimes sloppy so you have to protect yourself and your Apple equipment, and data.

And as you said in your #1 post regarding your OS password:
    Unfortunately I can't remember it.
    Sort of like our homebuilder would say with some goofups:
    Stuff happens
    But that can be expensive stuff when the owners (us) are paying the bills!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by chscag; 06-22-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: We are still a "G" rated forum Patrick. ;)

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I don’t use my fingerprint to open my devices, and even when I did, it would ask, every two weeks for the passcode.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    When installing an update or after shutting down and restarting, you must enter your passcode. And always have to enter my passcode instead of my finger print when I boot it up.
    Just for general info and interest, these remarks by our Admin also apply to the iPhone X which has face recognition - you still asked for the passcode in the circumstances mentioned in the quote above.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don’t use my fingerprint to open my devices, and even when I did, it would ask, every two weeks for the passcode.

And in the OP's case and their iPad 4, I can't believe one could go so long without using their OS password in order to forget it.

And they don't even have or use fingerprint recognition.

- Patrick
    ======

And in the OP's case and their iPad 4, I can't believe one could go so long without using their OS password in order to forget it.

And they don't even have or use fingerprint recognition.

- Patrick
    ======
    I can see it happening if it is one that you just put away and don't use for a long time and then either find a use for it or decide to sell it. The iPad 4 came out in 2012 so there's been plenty of time for it to sit in a drawer or closet unused while the password is forgotten. If it was actually in use that whole time then I agree I have no idea how it could be forgotten.

The iPad 4 came out in 2012 so there's been plenty of time for it to sit in a drawer or closet unused while the password is forgotten.

Gee... right on, and I never thought of that situation... and it never should if there were any wanting grandkids in the waiting wings...

- Patrick
    ======

Gee... right on, and I never thought of that situation... and it never should if there were any wanting grandkids in the waiting wings...

- Patrick
    ======
    Iím sorry. I have an iPad 4 mini with a touch sensor that I use every day. And due to memory problems itís set up with TouchId to unlock so I donít use the passcode very often. Things change when you get old😉.

Quote Originally Posted by mac2665 View Post
    I’m sorry. I have an iPad 4 mini with a touch sensor that I use every day. And due to memory problems it’s set up with TouchId to unlock so I don’t use the passcode very often. Things change when you get old��.

My apologies, and I didn't realize that the iPad 4 could use the TouchId feature.

It seems ...it has been on all iPads since the iPad Air 2. according to:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_ID

I guess my old 77 year old brain forgot that fact as time flies by so fast these days...!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information