Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: iPad cellular

iPad cellular

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
    iPad cellular
    I've had a WIFI iPad for many years and have never considered a WIFI + Cellular iPad. Please tell me what I can do with a Cellular that I can't do with a WIFI iPad. I understand that I can send and receive emails away from home. What else could I do away from home?

iPad cellular
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've owned a couple of iPads that had both wi-fi and cellular. The only real advantage of those versus wi-fi only is the possibility that you have a cell when you do not have a wi-fi access. In that case you still have access to the web, email, etc. Of course having both means there's the additional purchase cost and cost of the cell plan.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iPad cellular
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    And, these days, even away from home, you can usually find WiFi in hotels, cafes, bars, buses and the like - caveat - in those situations I'd use a VPN to protect myself (but applies to any WiFi device).

Moreover, if you have an iPhone, you can use it as a Hotspot for your WiFi-only iPad - and use the iPhones cellular capability.

This link tells you how: https://www.imore.com/how-to-tether-...rsonal-hotspot

Ian
    Ian

iPad cellular
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Both good points Ian. Particularly about the use of the VPN.

I am thinking about making the next iPad wi-fi only and running it through a personal hotspot when needed. I can think of two things to think about for folks who are considering doing that:

1. What is your carrier's policy regarding personal hotspots. Until recently some carriers did not support this and there may still be some that don't. I haven't looked into that yet because my current carrier supports it. As I'm typing this I am wondering if some carriers require a second data plan if you use more than a certain amount of data through the hotspot feature.
    2. Make sure that you have a large enough data plan for the phone to cover the times when both devices will be using the data.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iPad cellular
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy14 View Post
    I've had a WIFI iPad for many years and have never considered a WIFI + Cellular iPad. Please tell me what I can do with a Cellular that I can't do with a WIFI iPad.
    You can almost think of an iPad with WiFi+ Cellular as being like a smartphone with a really large display. If you have an iPad with cellular...you can practically do anything with your iPad that you can with a smartphone.

Having cellular ability is all about connectivity. Cellular capability on an iPad will still not allow you leap tall buildings, run faster than a bullet, or be as strong as a locomotive!

- Nick

p.s. If you have a smartphone with a data plan...in my opinion needing an iPad with cellular ability is very much a convenience than a necessity.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

iPad cellular

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
    Thank you all for your responses. Whenever we stay in hotels on our holidays we always get free WiFi access. You have all convinced me that I don't need the cellular access. My iPad Air 2 WiFi bought in 2014 is perfectly adequate for me. Ian, your link is interesting and I will pass it on to friends with iPhones. I don't use iPhones as I find my eyesight at the age of 80 can't handle small screens.

iPad cellular
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I fully agree with Ian. My latest iPad purchase (2017 10.5" iPad Pro) is WiFi only. Very rarely do I go somewhere that has no WiFi access and if I should find myself in that situation I use my iPhone as a hot spot.

Thread Information