Update iPad 2 iOS Failure
    I have an iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.1 and I tried to update to 7.1.2 using the firmware file and instructions on the iPhoneHacks site via iTunes, but I got an error from Apple saying that the iPad wasn't eligible for updating (I didn't write down the error). I gather from other posts that there is some sort if signature that is required from Apple that is no longer available for of older iOS versions. Is that the problem and is there any work around? Is this when people "jail break" their device? The iPad updater says that iOS 9.2.1 is available to install, but as old as the iPad 2 is, I'm afraid that I'll effectively turn it into a brick. I've resisted updating for fear of poor performance, but now I'm being forced to either update to 7.0 or better, or buy a new iPad to play the current version of Clash of Clans.

Update iPad 2 iOS Failure
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

An iPad 2 can be updated to iOS 9.2.1 as you were told. Older versions of iOS are no longer available for the iPad 2 so if you are currently using 5.1.1 you will either have to remain with that or update to 9.2.1. iOS 7.1.2 is no longer signed and certified by Apple and can not be download to your iPad.

I have an iPad 3 running 9.3.5 (latest for it) and it runs just fine. It's up to you whether or not to update. iOS 9.2.1 is not going to turn your iPad 2 into a brick but again, it's your choice.

Thread Information