Location Services randomly coming on

Your Mac's Specs
    13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
    I have a new iPhone 11 Pro (13.3.1 installed) and Location Services randomly comes up, then goes away and drains my battery when no opened app is using it. How can I fix it?

Iíve gone through the Location Services tab and none of the apps that would be using them are opened when this happens. It just randomly comes up for like 10 seconds and goes away before I can see whatís using it. Itís really odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You could go to Settings/Privacy/Location services and turn it off until you need it. There are a lot of System Services that turn on location services. Those are listed on a separate page at the bottom of the list of apps where you can tap on System Services to see them all. I don't see a lot of battery drain from those uses, so if you are seeing a lot of battery drain, you might want to check that in Settings as well. It will tell you what is using battery.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I think Jake may have been implying this in his helpful post above, and I not intend to tread on his toes, as it were:

Go into Settings > Privacy >Location Services (assuming you have them turned on) then scroll done and you will see every app on your iPhone. Click on each one.

You now have four choices under "Allow Location Access" - Never - Ask Next Time - While Using the App - Always. All of these are self explanatory.

Some you hardly ever use or care for location "Never" will suffice. But there are many apps where the app needs your current location - Maps for example - then choose "While Using the App"; but remember to Quit the app after use!

Although it is cumbersome going to each app in turn, this will dramatically cut down Location Notifications.

When you have done, reboot your iPhone ie Power Down, then Power On again - I have found this helps in many situations. It shouldn't really be required, but it works.

Apologies Jake if I've duplicated some of your excellent advice.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    It is "normal" behavior really, my iPhone does the same thing. Apps that update in the background also use location services for things like weather, traffic conditions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rod, in post #1 he said:
    Iíve gone through the Location Services tab and none of the apps that would be using them are opened when this happens. It just randomly comes up for like 10 seconds and goes away before I can see whatís using it. Itís really odd.
    I took from that statement that he knew about how to set the Location services and had already done what you suggested. What I was talking about is that at the bottom of that long list of apps using location services there is an entry for System Services that opens another page of things using location services. But it is a good thing for you to have posted the details as anybody else coming to this thread in the future may not know the details of how to control location services.
    Jake

Thread Information