restoring backup from icloud
    I recently purchased an iPad pro. I set up the device as new and began using it because I was uncertain about transfering backup data from my iphone to my ipad, having never done that before.

But I realize now I probably should have used the restore from icloud using my iphone data, because I'm guessing that would have set up my mail accounts and a bunch of other stuff on my ipad?

So question is, is there any way for me to restore the icloud backup onto my iPad now that its up and running and I've been using it, without formatting it and starting from new? or would I need to completely start over to do that?

and is there any way to selectively pull data for a certain app from icloud onto a newly set up device?

thanks.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Firstly, an iPad is not an iPhone, even if it has cellular capability (a SIM card). There are now different operating systems for the two, iPad OS and iOS. You cannot restore an iPhone backup to an iPad.

Having said that assuming you are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple Account (user name and password) on both devices and depending on what data you have chosen to backup to iCloud on your iPhone much of that data will be available on your iPad already.

Things like Contacts, Notes, Calendars, Reminders, Messages etc should all be the same as your iPhone and Mac computer if you have one. Thats what iCloud is for. Apps will all be available to download including paid for ones from your account at the App Store. Which ones sync across devices can be selected under Settings > Your Name > iCloud.

Photos can be synced using My Photo Stream (without using iCloud Photos Library).

However third party email accounts may need to be setup manually. If you signed into your iCloud (Apple) account at setup using the add email account window may have initiated a "Restore from iCloud" option but not always and sometimes it is not successful anyway.

Just open Settings, pull down on the window to reveal the search panel and search for Add Email this will bring up a window with all of the popular email providers, tap the one you want, enter your email address and password and with luck it will do the rest.

PS. I should add that these days you can just pull down on any Home screen on iPad or iPhone and do a search. Just place your finger about a third of the way down the screen and pull down. This will open a search screen. Here you will see Siri suggestions, App Store suggestions etc and if you do a search for say, "Backups", you will get many helpful suggested resources as well as direct access to Backup Settings in System Setting.
    Last edited by Rod; 02-28-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: addit
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thanks Rod for such a thorough and informative reply! Really appreciate it.

Maybe you can help me understand one other thing, while we're on this topic.

I am wondering if icloud backup and itunes backup can work in conjunction when restoring a device or setting up a new one?

What I mean is, if you only have limited icloud space and just backup data for certain apps, will that most recent icould backup data repopulate to your phone, after doing a restore from backup through itunes? So you can use both to make sure you don't lose anything?

I recently found out the hard way when the iOS 13 update crashed my phone and I needed to restore from an old backup, that the itunes backup does not include everything on your phone. I lost almost my entire music library, because a lot of it was made up of imported music. Also for some reason I don't understand, I lost the app data for SOME apps. most apps actually retained their data, but a number of them it just disappeared - and I don't know how I'm supposed to know which apps data itunes backs up and which it doesn't since there is no notice about this during the back up process.

I really wish itunes backup when it finished provided us users with some information about what was backed up by it and what was not, so we had some idea what was going on.

Is there a third party software for windows that lets you back up and restore your ENTIRE iphone?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Silvermountain, I like many of the members here would not trust one backup of anything. For my iPhone and iPad I have three.
    iCloud backups are encrypted by design so are really handy if you are say overseas and loose your iPhone or fatally damage it. Because they are encrypted they contain the maximum quantity of information, health info, paired devices, WiFi passwords, Word docs, DropBox, email accounts and app data that you have chosen in settings > iCloud to sync. With this you can restore your iPhone anywhere. Likewise a local encrypted backup to iTunes will do the same. So I do both.
    Then there are third party apps like iMazing (my third method). I perform an encrypted backup to this app as well. It offers more file management tools than iCloud or iTunes did.
    Here is a site listing PC/Mac alternatives; 2019 Top 10 iPhone Backup Software for Windows/Mac
    Lastly music is not backed up at least not personal additions like ripped CD's. You need to select and load music from your library just as you do with photos not taken on the device or saved to iCloud Photo Library during a sync process. See this article for a general idea of what's synced. What Does iTunes Backup from iPhone 7/8/8 Plus/X
    As for the paid for PC/ Mac apps listed on the other link I posted I cannot say. Some appear to give you a lot of control over what is backed up but I have not used any of them so I can't vouch for them personally.
    As always I advise that you check them out on their individual developers website ( not some third party) and do a bit of online research before you buy or try. One of the first things I check is how easy is it to uninstal.

PS I just realised iMazing is compatible with PC, this is what I use;

Download, Install & Back up your iOS Apps to Mac and PC | iMazing

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 03-01-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Here is everything you need to know about iOS/iPadOS backups, About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    iMazing does give you a lot of options to manage your data, including your music library. Moving around your data between the iPhone and the computer is easily done.

On the other hand, the restore may fail and will require to erase the device:

iMazing questions...

Thread Information