Disable iCloud syncing...
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    Is there are way to disable iCloud for Contacts and Notes, while keeping the data locally? Every other apps offers to keep the data locally, but these two.

Would this below be a workable solution?

1. Backup Contacts and Notes with iMazing
    2. Disable iCloud for the two apps
    3. Restore the two apps with iMazing

If the settings changed and backup/restore work, I don't see why it would not. Unfortunately, even iOS started to behave like most programs; what it shows and how it actually works may not be the same.

Alternatively, how do I break syncing with iCloud?

TIA...

PS: Yes, there's a similar post on this subject, just didn't want to hijack it...

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    What version of iOS? I'm on iOS 12.4.5 and I get the option to keep the data on the device when I turn off those options in Settings > iCloud.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    Thanks Bob... a bit long response, bear with me please...

The version is 13.3.1 and when I shut off iCloud, it didn't even ask, if I'd want to keep and data.

Here's how it was done, just to show what went wrong and what I've learned from this experience...

Step 1: Disable iCloud Drive, despite the fact that no apps were utilizing it:

icloud drive.jpg

Step 2: Login to iCloud with browser and delete Contacts and Notes

That was easy... Well, until the iPhone and iCloud synced and the Contacts Notes were deleted on the iPhone.

Lesson one, disabling iCloud has no impact on synchronizing Contacts and Notes. These apps below are tied to iCloud account logged in to the iPhone:

apps using icloud.jpg

This is where both the Contacts and Notes syncing can be disabled. The Contacts can actually be kept on the iPhone, if disabled, but Notes cannot be. Well, too late by now, both of them are pretty much gone since they had been deleted in step 2.

Lesson 2: Signing out from the iCloud on the iPhone is not advisable; it would remove the Apple Card from the iPhone, if you have one:

sign out.jpg

I am not certain, if signing in with the iCloud account later would restore Apple Card on the iPhone and not about to try it by now.

I guess iMazing backup restore is in order for the Notes and the Contacts. Oh well, I've never tested iMazing restore before anyway. The latest backup was yesterday, prior to the iOS update.

It's been an interesting experience, the first time I've jumped in the deep side instead of keep searching and/or asking questions about the subject. I like this, sort of reminds me how I took apart other OSs and put them together to my liking. The best way to learn how something works...

Note 1: All of the issues had been self-inflicted and has no relation to the advise provided.

Note 2: Yes, I am aware that the deleted data can be restored for 30 - 40 days, at least that what it has stated...

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I didn't turn off all of iCloud, just the individual option for Contacts on my iPhone. I also just tried it on my iPad running iOS 13.3.1, for Notes, and they both offer the option to leave the data on my devices.

Edit: I can't answer for Apple Card, but I do know Apple Pay credit card info does need to be reentered.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 02-01-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added info
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information