Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apple releases iOS and iPadOS 13.2.3
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    I can guarantee that it definitely doesn't detect motion in my 20 years old pickup truck, that does not have car play; neither does my 24' Robalo fishing boat. My better half's 6s has no issues detecting the motion in either of them, so, it's not a question of vehicle. Rather, it is the iPhone in question and/or its operator...

I started a thread back in September about this:

Do not disturb while driving...

I've tried a number of different settings to no avail; the do not disturb only works, if I enable it manually. Updating to iOS 13.x.x didn't fix this either.

The issue could be with accelerometer and/or the software reading the results. First thing first, I need to find a way for testing the accelerometer. Anybody has an idea for that?

TIA...

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Look for SensorKinetics. It shows the actual readings from the accelerometers in all three axes. It's in the store on the iPhone.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Nice one, Jake.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Excellent info Jake.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm a geek, what can I say?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I don't know who is more geeky, Jake or Randy? LOL.

Both have a wealth of knowledge and it's a pleasure to have them as members of this forum.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hear, hear!

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Great app Jake, thanks!

All sensors are seemingly working, the accelerometer readout change as the iPhone moved:

accelerator sensor.jpg

The linear accelerometer display is fun to play with, trying to get the green ball in to every corner:

linear accelerator.jpg

All readouts change rapidly with the movement of the iPhone, including the gravity sensor.

Seemingly, the sensors are not the reason for the "Do not disturb while driving" not working. This was somewhat predictable, since the map app works just fine. Setting a destination displays the estimated time of arrival, that changes as the speed changes and/or getting closer to the destination.

Since there are no issues with the sensor, the issue with the "Do not disturb while driving" not working is probably software related. Maybe I should just install iOS 13.2.3 from Apple, after backing up my iPhone.

Would iMazing make this process easier? They have a 50% off Black Friday sale, that looks very tempting...

Your Mac's Specs
    I would recommend iMazing, particularly at a discount, as it is a better backup system than iTunes used to be. I'd to that even if it wasn't good at upgrading the OS, which it is.

That said, back to the original issue. DND isn't associated with the accelerometers, I think, but the GPS. When GPS senses you moving faster than 3 mph (I think) it triggers DND. The speed may be higher, but I seem to recall reading 3 mph somewhere. That seems slow, as that would mean DND would kick in if you were running faster than a 20 minute mile pace. Sly did report that DND kicks in when he gets his chair rolling fast, so maybe that 3 mph is correct. Anyway, when the GPS senses the speed limit is passed, DND is supposed to kick in. So you might want to check to see if you have somehow limited the GPS (location services) function.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Jake...

As I learn more and more about backing up iOS and/or MacOS, it isn't what I've got used to in the Windows world; even with iMazing, some of the data isn't backed up.

That's probably just me, I prefer to control every aspects of the backups, like type of backup, where to backup, etc., that doesn't quite work on the same way with the Apple world. These type of backups remind me of the Apple's motto, "It just works..." You could say that I am incompatible with Apple world...

The location services are limited and enabled on the "While using" basis, just like on the 6s that works just fine with DND. There's no "app" for DND on its own and the chances are that it is relying on one of the "System Services" for accessing the location. I did disable the location based Alerts, Ads, etc., in system services, but don't believe that is the service it relying on. Worth for a try, thanks...

Your Mac's Specs
    You can define where the backups go in iMazing. Open iMazing/Preferences/Backup and set the default to where you want the backups to go.

Not sure what you mean that data isn't backed up. The few times I had to restore, I got everything back, so I didn't have anything missing. What isn't being backup for you?

I have all of the system services in Settings/Privacy/location services turned on except for "Update Maps." I haven't used DND in a long time, but I'll give it a try next time I go out. I have trained myself to ignore my phone while driving, except for the GPS Map services. No texting, no emails. I do answer phone calls, but use hands-free in my car to do so. But as I said, I'll give it a test next time I'm out and about.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, you can define backup location with iMazing, but... Once defined, it cannot be changed without removing the device and start from fresh. Just a minor annoyance...

Based on my initial backup of devices, it seems that iMazing does not backup emails and their settings. I have not used restore as of yet with iMazing, or iTunes for that matter, but take your word that it does work.

I don't use my iPhone either, while driving. It just came up couple of moth ego and curious, why the DND does not work. Comparing my settings with the 6s, there are actually four differences; on mine, these "System Services" are disabled:

1. Location Based Apple Ads
    2. Wi-Fi Networking
    3. iPhone Analytics
    4. Popular Near Me

Maybe the DND is relying one, or more of these services to access GPS. I'll enable them one by one to see, if the DND behavior changes...

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, you can define backup location with iMazing, but... Once defined, it cannot be changed without removing the device and start from fresh. Just a minor annoyance...
    I seem to remember changing the destination without having to have iMazing forget the device. It did then make a full backup at the new location, but that is to be expected. Are you sure of that statement? I didn't try to move the older backups over to the new location, they aren't that important to me. I just deleted the old ones and let iMazing do what it does.

Based on my initial backup of devices, it seems that iMazing does not backup emails and their settings. I have not used restore as of yet with iMazing, or iTunes for that matter, but take your word that it does work.
    I don't know about emails and backup. What happens is that as soon as you reconnect to the email provider, the emails are loaded onto your iPhone, if you are on IMAP anyway. I think POP does not do that, but then I have moved off that old tech and onto IMAP for all my emails, so all I can say is that when the iPhone restores were done, and I opened email, the messages were there.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    I made the mistake of not changing the default backup location, C\Users\UID\Appdata\iMazing\Backups on Windows, at the first time backing up my iPhone. iMazing didn't allow changes for the backup location, had to forget the location, remove the backup, define the backup location and add my iPhone again.

In another word, the backup location had to be defined prior to adding the device.

About emails...

iMazing allows viewing what is in the backup, but no emails show up in the browsing list. I am not certain, if the email providers' configuration are backed up. One of the reason why I haven't tested the iMazing restore as of yet. I'll probably do it, when there's no other choice...

Yes, once you recreate the provider's configuration, it'll download whatever emails are on the server. The thing is, if you have 4 - 6 email accounts on the iPhone, that'll take some time to add the email accounts. Not to mention that collecting all of the email account configurations will take some time. I guess they should be collected now, instead of looking for them later. Just in case...

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, I don't use Windows at all, so I was speaking of iMazing on macOS. The backup location is set with the device connected and seems to allow different locations for each device. There is a "default" location, which is also able to be changed. In the Windows version, have you tried connect the device, then clicking on "Options" and "Backup Location?" That is where it is set in macOS.
    Jake

Thread Information