Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 16GB+1TB & two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/High Sierra, 2nd Mac Mini in game room/Mojave
    Canít use NEST app because NEST/Google thinks cookies are blocked...
    ... but that is definitely not true.

Installed a new NEST thermostat, which works fine.

On my home Mac I opened a new account with Nest/Google, signed in via Google account, all OK. Can program the thermostat on line, get status, all works fine. Cookies enabled in both Safari and Chrome.

Also want to use the iPhone app so I can override the program and control the home heat pump remotely.

Downloaded the Nest app -- no joy. As soon as I open the app I get: ď... we have detected that cookies are disabled in your browser...Ē and it will not proceed.

I do not know which browser they are referring to: Safari or Chrome on my Mac, or Safari or Chrome on my iPhone, but in any case, ALL four of them have cookies enabled.

I called Nest tech support and they were unable to help, so Iím appealing to the Forum: How to convince Nest/Google that cookies are not blocked?

Thanks.

Since you are playing with the iOS app, it's going to be the browser in iOS, not your Mac. So go to Settings->Safari and scroll down to Block All Cookies and see if it is turned on. If it is, turn it off and try the app again.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Since it's the iPhone app that you downloaded, it must be referring to Safari on your iPhone (the iOS version), not the version on your Mac. Are you sure that cookies are not blocked and that you are using the latest version of iOS and Safari on your iPhone?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 16GB+1TB & two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/High Sierra, 2nd Mac Mini in game room/Mojave
    Naturally, I assumed they were referring to the browser on the smartphone, so I went to Settings and found cookies to be enabled. I also checked the Chrome browser, which I never use, and found cookies ON. Mentioned the others just in case.

And of course when I called Nest that was the first thing they suggested. Also cleared all history and website date, deleted the app and downloaded it again.

I restate then: for Safari on my iPhone: Settings/Safari/Privacy & Security/Block all Cookies is OFF. Nest still thinks cookies are blocked and I can’t install the app.

I think that takes care of the obvious. Any other ideas?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Then the problem is likely with the "Nest" program if everything else is as you say. Assuming that everything else is working okay, their iOS version of the program may require updating. You didn't mention which version of iOS you're running on your phone or what phone you have? We are assuming here that everything is up to date?

I have the Nest app in my iPhone and have the cookies setting off for Safari. I never saw that particular message when I installed the app.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Are you using any other security features on your iPhone? VPN? What about Content Blockers? What version of iOS?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Problem persists despite clearing history, re-downloading -- always says cookies are blocked.

iPhone 6s, Software Version 13.1.3

Must be Nest problem. Google must really hate us.

Your Mac's Specs
    After I upgraded iOS from 13.1.3 to 13.2.3 the app installed. Problem solved. Thanks to all.

Thread Information