Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will I delete all my photos if I switch iCloud back on after deleting all photos from my iPhone?
    I ran out of storage on my iPhone so I followed the instructions of most of the articles I could find online and turned off iCloud Photos on my phone. But one of the articles said Beware! If you delete all your photos from your phone and then at any time reconnect iCloud Photos, it will delete all the photos from iCloud as well as your phone (and every other device that's connected to iCloud). Is this true? Or will it just download the 48 gigs of photos to my phone again? I just wish there were a way to keep all the photos on iCloud but not in my phone's memory, so that I could take one out to show it when I want to, but would not have my entire phone memory taken up with all my iCloud photos. Any suggestions?:

Will I delete all my photos if I switch iCloud back on after deleting all photos from my iPhone?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You could download the photos on iCloud to your computer? This way you will have them backed up.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

They're all on my computer anyway. But I'd like to be able to access them from my phone (to show friends, etc.) without having to store them all there as well. I thought iCloud would let me do that, but apparently it doesn't.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Set your Photos settings like this on all your devices. Photos taken on your iPhone will appear in the My Photo Stream folder on all devices with the same Apple account. Just remember if you want to save them on eg your computer you must manually save them into your photo library or camera roll on the phone. Then you can happily delete the ones you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-ForumsIMG_1732.JPG
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can also add photos, to the Photostream album on your computer, and they will sync to all devices logged in to the Apple ID as well.

My Photo Stream - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Great! Thank you. I think what I'll do is just turn on the Photo Stream on my phone, so that it keeps the last 30 days' worth. Then if I take a really good one I want to keep, I can Airdrop it onto my computer, where Photos will automatically save it to my Library and to iCloud. I also use Time Machine backups, so I think I'm pretty safe as far as losing anything is concerned. I won't be able to access the thousands of photos in my Library from my phone, but at least I will have access to the last month of photos. Does this sound good?

Your Mac's Specs
    There is no point in having Photo Stream on just on your phone. It needs to be on on your computer too. If you are going to transfer photos from your phone via Airdrop or USB cable Sync there is no point in having it switched on anywhere.
    Maybe I have misunderstood but are you saying you have iCloud Photos Library switched on on your computer? "where Photos will automatically save it to my Library and to iCloud".

Your Mac's Specs
    I don’t use iCloud Photos, but I do sync my Photos library from my Mac to my iPhone.
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    If you use a cable connection from iPhone to Mac to sync your photos that is absolutely fine, that's how we all used to do it before the introduction of the myriad of iCloud services we have today. If you do it that way you might as well turn off My Photo Stream on all your devices. I cannot test this myself but if you have My Photo Stream turned on on your iPhone the photos you take will be uploaded to iCloud anyway, they just won't get downloaded to anything, thus costing you data costs for nothing. You can check this by going to iCloud login with your Apple ID and check the Photos icon. Remember that photos previously uploaded will be there for 30 days before deletion.

I use Photo Stream especially when on holidays to ensure that even if I lost or damaged my phone recent photos would be downloaded to my computer. This eliminates the need to use Airdrop or even syncing to get the photos I take onto my Mac.

Your Mac's Specs
    You can do both, sync with the cable, of sync with Photostream.
    -- Bob --

Ok, now I'm confused. What I want to do is be able to dip into my Photos Library from my phone to look at/show photos in the Library WITHOUT having all 14,000 photos in storage on my phone, which take up almost all the storage I have on my phone. Is this possible? Yes, I have iCloud Photos Library switched on on my computer. And now I have My Photo Stream turned on on my phone, and iCloud Photos turned off there. Any suggestions?

Your Mac's Specs
    Do you have all your photos stored on your computer? If so like me, you can connect your phone via USB, load all new photos then delete them from the phone. With My Photo Stream on all new photos will be put into your Photo Stream folder on your computer.

Your Mac's Specs
    I truly think that my system is the best mixture of iCloud and local storage but it varies dependant on how many photos you have and how much storage you have on your computer.
    After I get back from the meeting I'm about to attend I will describe it step by step.

Your Mac's Specs
    So turn off iCloud Photo Library on all devices. You will save quite a lot of storage on iCloud, maybe enough to downgrade your plan and save some money.
    Turn on My Photo Stream on all devices.
    Remember the 30 day rule. There is always a 30 day delay with all iCloud Services.
    For example f you delete photos from iCloud Photo Library on you iPhone there will be 30 days before they are gone.
    The same applies to My Photo Stream. All photos taken on you iPhone will sync wirelessly to your computer and be placed in the My Photo Stream folder and in All Photos. After 30 days they will disappear from the My Photo Stream folder but remain in the All Photos library on your computer.
    So My Photo Stream ensures that any photo you take on your iPhone will be saved on your computer (and any other device signed into the same Apple account with My Photo Stream switched on).
    Now when you connect your iPhone via USB to your computer you can choose to upload any photos that are not already on the device but personally I don't do this because it can lead to duplication. This is the old pre My Photo Stream method, just like using a camera. You can also delete photos from the phone.
    At this point you can also decide what you want to keep on your iPhone. Under the Photos preferences in the Sync menu you can choose Folders you created in the Photos app on your computer or other preferences like The Last 30 Days, or Favourites etc. in the tick boxes provided and they will appear on your phone.
    Now you can edit, delete or do anything you like to the photos on your phone knowing that the originals will be sent to your computer, even if it's switched off in another country.
    There are some variations to the names of things in iOS 13 but the principals are the same.

Thanks, Rod. It's clear that I can't use iCloud as a storage device in the sky and dip into it when I want. I have to plan ahead and decide what I want to keep on my phone. I think I'll continue to pay for iCloud storage for my photos as I don't trust Time Machine; I've had too many problems with it. I just won't be able to show any photos on my phone that I didn't take with it. Not sure why Apple insists you keep everything on your phone to be able to show it there: it would seem to be a pretty easy fix to allow people to access things in the cloud and then put them back there - just the way the cloud works for everybody else, in fact! Oh well.

Thread Information