Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Help/advice whatsapp messages do not arrive. Maybe wrong iphone settings?

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
    Hello friends,
    I just wanted to ask why, on an iphone 5, whatsapp messages do not arrive, unless you unlock the iphone and open the app (even if it's already open). Is there anything wrong in the iphone settings?
    (Even if wifi or network are working fine).
    Thanks a lot

When you say "arrive", do you mean getting a notification that would wake up the phone? If so, have you specifically enabled notifications for Whatsapp? If not, do you mean you start the Whatsapp application, and there are no new messages, but some time later, new messages arrive when you are in the app?

I have Whatsapp installed but notifications disabled since I don't deem it important enough to interrupt me. I routinely check the app a few times a day and there are messages waiting for me in the various group chats.

If you are talking about the former situation, then you can change the settings to do what you want. If it's the latter, that seems to be a Whatsapp/server issue. Now you do say you are running iPhone 5 which is stuck on a pretty old version of iOS and thus pretty old version of Whatsapp and you might be hitting an issue where they don't want to support that app for whatever reason.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    you are running iPhone 5 which is stuck on a pretty old version of iOS
    Yes, Ashwin.

Maximun iOS for iPhone 5 is 10.2.0

Ian
    Ian

Thanks Ian, I was too lazy to Google that.

According to this Whatsapp FAQ it seems they support iOS 9 onward and iOS 8 support will end on Feb 2020. So technically, iOS 10 (assuming OP has updated to the latest version) should technically work.

Let's wait for more clarification on the exact scenario before going forward.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by britpoprule View Post
    Hello friends,
    I just wanted to ask why, on an iphone 5, whatsapp messages do not arrive, unless you unlock the iphone and open the app (even if it's already open). Is there anything wrong in the iphone settings?
    (Even if wifi or network are working fine).
    Thanks a lot
    Check to see if your iPhone is updated. Also check that your WhatsApp notifications are enabled on your settings. If none of this works maybe try deleting then redownloading the App to see if that helps?

Your Mac's Specs
    13" MBP, 27" iMac, Mac Mini Server, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7, 2-Apple TV Gen 4
    I have been noticing a similar issue. I have a fully updated iPhone 7 and the latest Whatsapp. I also run the Whatsapp desktop on a Windows box at my office. Since the update to 13.1, the Whatsapp desktop app will not maintain a connection to the iPhone unless the iPhone is unlocked and has Whatsapp running and open.

My MBP Messaging is also a mess since the update. On my iPhone, I can send and receive messages from my brother and sister, both of whom are running iPhones with 13.1 at least, but only messages from my sister's iPhone show up in the Messaging app on my personal MBP. My brother's messages were working fine a few days ago before I updated to macOS 10.15. Too many updates between devices has wreaked some havoc on messaging in general, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by BethJones View Post
    Check to see if your iPhone is updated. Also, check that your WhatsApp notifications are enabled on your settings. If none of this works maybe try deleting then redownloading the App to see if that helps?
    Yeah, this might work I think. Carry on!

Your Mac's Specs
    I ran across this Apple web page and tried turning iMessage off and then back on. It failed to activate the first time. I tried again and now I've been waiting 5 minutes for it to activate.

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

Waiting for activation...

EDIT: After 5 minutes or so I got a message that it was unable to contact the iMessage server. Try Again.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Activating iMessage after turning it off can take up to 24 hrs. I found this out after similar problems during beta testing of iOS 13. So just let it run and check the next morning. This worked for me on every occasion.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Activating iMessage after turning it off can take up to 24 hrs. I found this out after similar problems during beta testing of iOS 13. So just let it run and check the next morning. This worked for me on every occasion.
    Not a lot of choices, I guess, so I'll try that. Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    For my issues re-activating iMessage and running the 13.1.3 update appears to have fixed everything. Whatsapp and iMessage are both working normally again. Thanks for the help, folks.

Thread Information