Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    iOS 13.1 surprises
    I just thought that i would perform a sync and backup between my iPhone and my MBP via USB today. Some thing I only do occasionally preferring to use iMazing most of the time.

My iPhone downloaded the iOS 13.1 update two days ago over the beta 4 of iOS 13.1 There were a few additions over the beta such as a Wallet update and Payment Details for my Apple account.

When I connected it I got a message I had not seen before; "A software update is required to connect to your iOS device. Would you like to download and install this update now?"

It seems that the recent iOS update pushed the iPhone software beyond compatibility with the Mojave 10.14.6 version of iTunes. Not to worry though because it also offers to download the necessary software, which I did and all was well.

See here; If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Just FYI guys, cheers, Rod
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks Rod. I haven't seen that message yet because, like you, I [refer to backup with iMazing. I'm due for an iTunes-based backup though so I'll be prepared.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Rod.

I got that message too. In my usual trusting way, I ticked Install. It did. Ant the subsequent updates went perfectly.

But I'm glad you posted the link as I now understand what it meant.

Ian
    Ian

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    No worries, no sooner did I complete that step I backed up the iPhone on iMazing and low and behold, there was another iOS update shown in iMazing. So now I’m on iOS 13.1.1

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Does anyone know what exactly gets installed to your Mac after that message appears and you click install? I had already updated my iPhone to 13.1.1 yesterday but today when backing up via iTunes that message appeared. And by the way, that KB message from Apple is dated back in June 2018 so the problem has been around for awhile.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    Well it wasn't an issue with the beta 4 version of iOS 13.1 but occurred after the production version overwrote it.
    I see from the article that it can go both ways; it can be the device saying it needs an update to connect to your computer or vice versa as it was in my case, the notification appeared on the computer.
    So this may be applicable to more than one compatibility issue and contain different data in each case.
    There have been iOS iTunes compatibility issues in the past between versions of iOS and macOS.
    In any case I'm theorizing and I'm sure it will all be resolved when my MBP is upgraded to macOS Catalina. Its just an interesting by product of this massive transition to a major new operating system for every device at pretty much the same time.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    I'm going to guess here and say that it was likely to update iTunes so that it would recognize the latest version of iOS.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I didn’t get that notification, but I did do the Supplemental Update #2 that was posted in another thread, before I backed up my iPhone with the new iOS.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I didn’t get that notification, but I did do the Supplemental Update #2 that was posted in another thread, before I backed up my iPhone with the new iOS.
    So did I, but still received the notification. I believe it was the last update to iOS that caused it. (13.1.1)

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    So did I, but still received the notification. I believe it was the last update to iOS that caused it. (13.1.1)
    But, I still haven't got that message, and I have iOS 13.1.1. iTunes 12.9.5.5. I can't find out when iTunes was last updated as there is nothing in the App Store about it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    It's definitely a mystery then. My version of iTunes is the same as yours. The only other thing I can think of is that I was beta testing iOS 13 but it was only the iPad version. I never did download the beta version for my iPhone as I didn't want to take a chance with it on the phone.

iOS 13.1 surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    I too was beta testing both the iOS and the iPad OS and it only happened with the iPhone but it probably only needed to be done once. I suppose so long as it works there is no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Thread Information