Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

iOS 13.1.1 and iPadOS 13.1.1 have been released
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    This is what Apple says about the releases:

iOS and iPadOS 13.1.1 are minor update that focuses on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. It addresses a third-party keyboard vulnerability, for example, which Apple outlined earlier this week. According to Apple's release notes, the iOS 13.1.1 update addresses the following bugs:

- Fixes issues that could prevent iPhone restoring from backup
    - Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly
    - Fixes an issue that could impact recognition of Siri requests on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
    - Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off
    - Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly
    - Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps

As usual, please backup your device prior to updating.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Thanks for all the notices regarding these updates.

I just had to restore from a backup today, as I went to do something and noticed my storage was full. Last week I had almost 40gb of space available. Then after I restored from the backup I have 42gb available again. I think I did the upgrade to iOS 13 over the air, but I don't remember. All is well again.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Bob

It may or may not be relevant, but I always update via iTunes because - and I believe this to be correct - the download is temporarily stored on the Mac, verified, then installed on the iDevice.

If you update OTA, then the download is stored on the iDevice, verified, then installed. After installation is complete and tested, the downloaded update is expunged.

The difference between the two methods, inter alia, is that you do need plenty of free space on the iDevice if you do it OTA; whereas that is not the case if done via iTunes (or iMazing, I guess).

Maybe in your case, after the OTA installation, the original download was not expunged???

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Maybe in your case, after the OTA installation, the original download was not expunged???

Ian
    Thanks Ian, thatís what I believe happened.

And yes, I usually do upgrades to new iOS versions (not all updates) through iTunes, but this one surprised me.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It may or may not be relevant, but I always update via iTunes because - and I believe this to be correct - the download is temporarily stored on the Mac, verified, then installed on the iDevice.
    That is correct. However, I usually do not recommend doing it that way since every update to your iPhones, and iPads will remain stored on your Mac. After several years of updates, the amount of storage they take up can be quite large. I suppose doing it that way is okay as long as you realize that you need to purge those files once in awhile. Unless the procedure has changed, those update files are not just temporarily stored and then automatically purged after the update is completed.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Thank you, Charlie.

Your advice and council is much appreciated.

I think that the procedure may have altered in that after every update or upgrade, I notice that the previous versions' files automatically appear in Trash. I used to purge them, but seeking those files recently has drawn a blank. Neither my searching nor the aid of Easy Find nor Find Any File has located them.

Nevertheless, I shall keep a sharp lookout and I greatly appreciate your helpful guidance.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information