Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Time zones on iPhone
    It's important that I correctly identify the time of incoming and outgoing phone calls when I was in Italy two weeks ago. Italy is GMT+1. Now that I'm back, I think the times are being shown in GMT rather than local time. Is this how it always happens when you travel? (The tour company abandoned me, a lone female, in Milan airport when my plane was four hours late!)

Screenshot shows photo of baggage delivery screen at 02.31 - but the time of the photo is 01.31 which can't be right as the flight arrival time is shown as 01.47.

IMG_5774.jpg
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Time zones on iPhone
    Sue, under Settings->General->Date & Time, there is an option to set time zone automatically. If that option is selected, based on your current location, the right timezone is chosen for you. So while the pictures have the right time set on them, they are being translated to your local time zone when being displayed it looks like.

I just checked on my phone and found a few pictures when I was in India, Paris and Switzerland in 2016 and all the dates were correct, but the time was completely off. One of the pictures was taken around around 12:30 PM or so and it is being reported as 3:03 AM.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I do have it set to auto. So does that apply to the phone calls as well? Were these calls were made an hour later than now displayed?

IMG_5749.jpg

Attachment 30313
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sue

Time zones on iPhone
    I unfortunately don't have any other things on my phone from different time zones, so I can't say for sure.

I would expect that things made at a particular point in time always stay at that point in time regardless of what the current timezone is. But they might be giving you the relative time and not the exact time.

That is, the phone call made a month ago when it was GMT+5 when you are not GMT+6, will be adjusted accordingly to show you what the call would've looked like if you had made it from GMT+6. Very confusing I know.

I wish they would put a timezone marker or something to indicate what is going on.

I'm just guessing as to what is happening at this point, perhaps others who have more data from different TZ's can chime in and help clear things up.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Time zones on iPhone
    The time zone thing has always been confusing to me. In the attached screenshot the calendar graphic shows departure from Bangkok at 1305 and arrival in Hong Kong at 1600. But the text for that graphic shows the same departure time but arrival an hour later. The graphic is all ICT (Indochina Time) But the text shows the time of the event in the time zone where it happens.

59E9A7FA-2CCC-4B55-8C73-EA89C443FABD.jpeg

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What I have seen is that any event, at least in Calendar, that you have set for a time in a different time zone shows in the current time zone as the time in the current zone. Then, when you are in the time zone of the event, it shows at the time in the event timezone. So, for example, if I schedule a flight from the Eastern Time Zone overnight to London, taking off at 6:00 PM and landing at 6:30 AM in London the following day, it shows on my Calendar as an event from 6:00 PM to 1:30 AM while I am in the Eastern Time zone, and as 11:00 PM to 6:30 AM when I am in the UK time zone. That makes sense if you are holding a meeting by teleconference, so whatever time zone you are in, it shows when in that time zone you need to be in the conference. In my flight booking, for example, the booking itself clearly shows a 6:00 PM departure and a 6:30 AM arrival in the details of the flight event on my iPhone. When I arrive in London and the iPhone reconnects and sets the correct time, the event will shift to a takeoff at 11M and arrival at 6:30 AM.

So the iPhone knows the time and timezone and will adjust times accordingly. I suspect it will do that with phone records as well. And if any kind of Daylight or Summer time is involved, the iPhone knows about them, too, and adjusts, so that might be adding to the confusion.
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Jake - think I follow. Reads like a description of cricket for foreigners!

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game
    Sue

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    That's perfectly clear to me, Sue. But then, I've actually played cricket, admittedly only once, but nevertheless I scored two runs, not out for a duck. Not bad for a colonist!
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    ...a duck. You've got the lingo!
    Sue

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Sue, I lived in England, near Bury St. Edmunds, for 2 1/2 years. Learnt cricket because I didn't understand the scoring. How is Australia 386 all out, England 253 for 4 a draw? None of the numbers matched! Played once, just an afternoon lark. I do like it, even if it's a bit, shall we say, sedate?
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    sedate
    Soporific, more like!

Ian
    Ian

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, but there's naught better than waking up from a nap to the applause for a well-struck six, have a sip of shandy and back to the nap!
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Ah, but there's naught better than waking up from a nap to the applause for a well-struck six, have a sip of shandy and back to the nap!
    I'd like to remind the participants of these forums that the language we use is English. Translation please.

Time zones on iPhone
    For me the conceptual problem arises when trying to schedule an event that will occur in the arrival time zone while I'm still in the departure time zone. In my example above, Calendar shows arrival in Hong Kong at 4:00 PM. I need to schedule an onward flight and leave enough time to get from the arrival gate to the departure gate. But, I need to remember that the real arrival time is 5:00 PM in Hong Kong, not the 4:00 PM shown in the Calendar graphic.

This gets much worse when your travel involves crossing the International Date Line.

I once ended up with an entire extra day in California because I wasn't smart enough to realize that Calendar was showing me my arrival time in LA as if it were in the Indochina Time zone. As a result I scheduled an Amtrak trip from LA to Portland a day later than necessary.

Turning Time Zone Support on and off simply makes it more confusing.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you turn “Set Automatically” off, then it will always display your default time zone, and may be easier to comprehend?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information