Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Time zones on iPhone
    You still have the problem where you can't tell Calendar to display an event's time in the time zone where it actually happens.

You need to be able to have an event (like a flight) that has different time zones for the departure and arrival. Tripit does this and it exports the correct time zones, but Calendar doesn't know how to deal with it.

From Tripit:

Tue, Nov 26
    13:05 +07
    [Flight] BKK to HKG
    Confirmation # RKZ5M7
    Cathay Pacific 614
    17:00 HKT
    Arrive Hong Kong (HKG)
    Terminal 1

It shows the departure as 13:05 +07 (GMT plus 7 hours) and the arrival at 17:00 HKT (Hong Kong Time)

Time zones on iPhone
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I agree 100% with Jake. It took me a while to get it myself. In actual fact Set Automatically does not do what I thought. It only sets the time automatically (to the correct time) once you set the correct time zone.
    I am in Bali Indonesesia GMT+8 But Java is GMT+7 to get the right time on my devices correct I have to set them to Makassar time.
    Here a handy online reference with search. World Time Zones
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    but Calendar doesn't know how to deal with it.
    I wouldn’t expect Calendar to work that way. It can only work one time zone at a time. It does not know what your “schedule” means.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Calendar can handle it. When you enter an event, in the date/time setting dialog there is a box for the time zone. If you click on the time zone it shows, a drop down menu appears with a few options and then "Other" which further opens a dialog where you can enter any city in any timezone anywhere. The event then shows on your calendar for the local time where you are that is converted from the time of the meeting where you will be. So, for example look at this:
    2019-09-20 08.13.18 am.png
    I entered this test event, set the time for 9:00 GMT and it now shows on my calendar at 5 AM because I am in the US Eastern Time Zone and right now it is -4.

2019-09-20 08.17.47 am.png

So Calendar does handle appointments in other time zones.

One of the items in the dropdown is "floating" but I'm not sure how that works.

You can also change the time zone of the calendar to make the appointment, then change it back and the time will adjust. Here is Apple's article on that: Use different time zones in Calendar on Mac - Apple Support
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Jake, but not an airplane trip to a different time zone. That was what "I thought" was being discussed anyway.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, I'm not sure what you mean. I have a planned trip to London as I have described, departs Dulles at 6:00PM arrives London 6:30 AM the next day. When I entered the trip data automatically from the confirmation email, Calendar properly entered the departure time in my time zone, and the arrival time is also correct for my time zone. When I shift the calendar to London time, the arrival time then shows the local time I will arrive in London. The departure time also shifts to London time. In fact, everything on my calendar shifts to London time. So I'm not sure what "not an airplane trip to a different time zone" means, sorry.
    Jake

Time zones on iPhone
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Great find, Jake. Research and determination have demonstrated something I certainly didn’t know about and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Ian

PS To keep the event from moving when you view a different time zone, choose Floating.
    Last edited by IWT; 09-20-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Found additional information
    Ian

I don’t know about Milan but when I was in western Sicily the auto setting was not correct. Time stamps on photos were 1 hour off; I think it was set to the Tunisian time zone. Also in Banff Canada they were not always correct. I don’t trust the auto setting in a new place, especially when it is near a time zone border.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    @JackInOlyWa, could it be that a Daylight Savings, or Summer time shift was in play? Not everybody in a timezone uses Summer time, or if they do, not at the same date range. Being one hour off makes me think it is more of that kind of thing. You can check on your iPhone under Settings/General/Data & Time and make sure that "Set Automatically" is on. That way the GPS/Cellular location of where you are will set the time and make adjustments for the local Summer time settings.
    Jake

This event-reporting in current time zone situation extends across apps, I've found. For example, I was in Japan and wrote in my journaling app what I did that day. When I got home, the date (and time) for the entry had changed to the date and time it was back here on the east coast (a day later!). I contacted the developer and asked for a switch that would allow the time/date for an entry to stay what it was locally, but they -- and, it would seem, all apps that use date/time tagging -- have decided that we always want the time to float to whatever time zone we travel to in the future. Very frustrating. We are not all using all of our apps for international phone call scheduling!

Time zones on iPhone
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Time zones on iPhone
    I can see arguments for both sides of the coin here, especially with Calendars or reminders. I'm pretty sure that feature can be changed to reflect local or "home" time at least on the apps I use that require time stamps.
    For example Fantastical allows Time Zone Override at the click of a single button.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 09-27-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Time zones on iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    When I got home, the date (and time) for the entry had changed to the date and time it was back here on the east coast (a day later!). I contacted the developer and asked for a switch that would allow the time/date for an entry to stay what it was locally, but they -- and, it would seem, all apps that use date/time tagging -- have decided that we always want the time to float to whatever time zone we travel to in the future.
    You need to look for a different application. I use DayOne, and it shows the time of the entry, plus the timezone of the post. So, for example, a post I made while in London indicates it was made at 11:41 AM, GMT+1. Plus, all my images (in Photos) taken with my iPhone show the local time of taking the picture, not the time of where I am a the current time. The only "shifting" time is in Calendar, as it should be.
    Jake

Thread Information