Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 8; iPad Air2, 64GB
    iMessages a mess
    iMessage is not threading properly on 12.4.1. I send a text, and the reply comes back without my original text. iMessage also only recognizes some iPhones, even though I have checked "iPhone" in Contacts. Now on iPhone 8 - brand new, and still the same issue. Thoughts please?

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    There must be something out of whack in the settings as opposed to a general issue with 12.4.1. I haven't experienced either problem so far. Even on the IOS 13 beta.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 8; iPad Air2, 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    There must be something out of whack in the settings as opposed to a general issue with 12.4.1. I haven't experienced either problem so far. Even on the IOS 13 beta.
    I can't figure out what is wrong in settings, as we have this problem on my husband's SE, my former 6 (which I just traded in today) and now on my 8. Need to get this back in whack! It started with iOS 12

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
    I can't figure out what is wrong in settings, as we have this problem on my husband's SE, my former 6 (which I just traded in today) and now on my 8. Need to get this back in whack! It started with iOS 12
    I've seen this problem before. Try signing out of iCloud on both your 8 and your husband's SE. Then sign back in on both.

Also check System Preferences, iCloud on your Mac to make sure you're syncing properly.

If all that doesn't work, sign into iCloud on your Mac with your Apple ID and Password and then check your iMessages to see how they look and if they're threading properly.

Another question for you.... Do you and your husband use the same Apple ID and Password? Or do you have separate accounts?

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks chscag. It didn't work on either phone, even after signing in and out of iCloud.

iMessages on my Air do thread properly.

Spouse and I have different Apple IDs and passwords.
    Last edited by rainbowcat; 09-14-2019 at 09:36 PM.

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Ok - I've got this down to one problem; my iPhone refuses to recognize my huband's iPhone - treats it like an Android and only uses SMS. I've deleted him as a contact and reset all parameters, signed in and out of iCloud on both phones, signed in and out of iMessages on both phones. His iPhone recognizes my phone as an iPhone, but my iPhone 8 won't recognize his. I've backed up and reset my iPhone, and it didn't change. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Nearest Apple Store is 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm trying to avoid that, if possible. Appreciate any help

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Are you both running the latest version of iOS? (13.1.1) Don't know if that will help but you might try upgrading if you're on an older version of iOS.

iMessages a mess
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    When you swapped phones and traded in your old phone did you follow the "What to do when selling or giving away an iPhone" instructions link attached below.
    What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
    I also suggest you dissociate those old devices from your iTunes Account by going to iTunes > View My Account > iTunes In The Cloud > Manage Devices and here delete any devices you no longer own.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Are you both running the latest version of iOS? (13.1.1) Don't know if that will help but you might try upgrading if you're on an older version of iOS.
    Both phones on 13.1.1

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I wiped the old iPhone 6 at the Apple store when I got the new iPhone. Thank you for info regarding managing devices - just deleted old iPhone.

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Go into Contacts, find your husband's entry. Edit it and change his phone number from whatever it is now to "iPhone." Believe it or not, that is what I had to do to solve exactly the same issue with my new iPhone and her new iPhone. I have no idea if that was a change, or what, but despite restoring to the two new phones and following the steps from Apple precisely, her number got entered into my contacts as "Mobile" and not "iPhone" and that forced SMS instead of Messages. Very strange.

EDIT: You might also need to change your setting in his phone.

EDIT EDIT: You might also look at Settings/Messages/Send&Receive and check that the address includes telephone numbers for your account. That got mucked up, too.
    Jake

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Can you go to your carriers store? They should have a fix for that, or even call them? More than likely, they’ve dealt with this issue before.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Go into Contacts, find your husband's entry. Edit it and change his phone number from whatever it is now to "iPhone." Believe it or not, that is what I had to do to solve exactly the same issue with my new iPhone and her new iPhone. I have no idea if that was a change, or what, but despite restoring to the two new phones and following the steps from Apple precisely, her number got entered into my contacts as "Mobile" and not "iPhone" and that forced SMS instead of Messages. Very strange.

EDIT: You might also need to change your setting in his phone.

EDIT EDIT: You might also look at Settings/Messages/Send&Receive and check that the address includes telephone numbers for your account. That got mucked up, too.
    That's the weird thing; his phone is listed as iPhone, and I've even changed it to "mobile" "home" "work" etc and back to iPhone, and my phone is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge his phone as iPhone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Can you go to your carriers store? They should have a fix for that, or even call them? More than likely, they’ve dealt with this issue before.
    That's a great idea - thanks! Will let you know if they can fix it. Since everyone has been so helpful here, and I've tried all the suggestions, it must be a problem on their end. I hope. Will let you know!

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just want to thank everyone here for trying to help me out. Took problem to Genius Bar, and they couldn't fix it either. They did replace the iPhone 8, which had multiple problems, and I have a call coming up from Apple to try and solve this. They did explain that iMessage issues can not be a carrier issue, as iMessage bypasses your carrier; I didn't realize that.

iMessages a mess
    Your Mac's Specs
    SOLUTION!!!! You must have an area code in front of every iPhone number in your contacts! I didn't put an area code in contacts for those in my area code, and that was the problem. At least it's a very simple solution!
    Again, thank you all for your help!

Thread Information