Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

ICloud files/documents confusion

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    Iím not sure if I am in the right forum. The more I read about iCloud, the more confused I get.

I put 5 big PDF documents in the file folder in iCloud using my Mac. They show up fine on my iPad and iPhone, with cloud icons on each. All well and good. If I actually down a file to my iPhone by clicking on the little cloud icon and later decide I donít want it taking up space anymore on my iPhone and delete it, itís deleted everywhere in the iCloud folder on my iPad and Mac. So how can I keep it some places, but not others?

Hope this is clear

Thanks for suggestions or good link for me to read up. No problems with photos. I understand that, itís just files I canít figure out.

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's the way the cloud works Diane. Putting those PDF documents in the cloud allows them to by synced across your devices. Deleting them from the cloud also deletes them from your devices - as you found out. In order to prevent those documents from being deleted from your Mac or iPad requires that you store an additional copy elsewhere other than the iCloud folder.

We have seen folks lose documents the same way. Thinking they were saving space and storing them in the cloud, but later finding out that deleting them from the cloud also deletes them from the iCloud folder on their device. We recommend always having a backup other than the cloud.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's the way the cloud works Diane. Putting those PDF documents in the cloud allows them to by synced across your devices. Deleting them from the cloud also deletes them from your devices - as you found out. In order to prevent those documents from being deleted from your Mac or iPad requires that you store an additional copy elsewhere other than the iCloud folder.

We have seen folks lose documents the same way. Thinking they were saving space and storing them in the cloud, but later finding out that deleting them from the cloud also deletes them from the iCloud folder on their device. We recommend always having a backup other than the cloud.
    Thanks. Thatís what I do for my photos ( have back ups), but I thought I was missing something with files.

Can you confirm for me that when the files are showing the little blue cloud icon on my phone they are not taking up the full, 10 meg for example, space on the phone? I could work with that.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

On the Mac, when you go to your iCloud drive and then click on a file, on top you will see the Cloud icon and you have the option to remove the file locally while still keeping it on iCloud. This functionality, however, does not exist on iOS. So if the cloud icon is next to any file that you are viewing on iCloud, it doesn't exist locally just on iCloud. Any downloaded file cannot be removed locally, deleting it there will actually delete it from iCloud (without warning!).

iOS tends to view these iCloud files as purgeable when space starts running low on your phone. So you likely don't need to worry about it, if you start filling up your phone, the iCloud downloaded files will be removed locally automatically for you.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Can you confirm for me that when the files are showing the little blue cloud icon on my phone they are not taking up the full, 10 meg for example, space on the phone? I could work with that.
    That's correct. Only after the file is downloaded to your phone or iPad will it take up the full 10 MB.

Thread Information