Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Iphone 6 backup on itunes - has multiple backups in same backup folder.   HELP!?!
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    is there any way to peel back the layers of a mutli-backed up, backup?
    No, it's not possible from iTunes. However, as I stated above, if you have Time Machine backups saved it's possible to restore a Time Machine backup and overwrite the current backups with one that you made before which contained all your text messages. I know that method works as I have done that myself when I accidentally overwrote an iTunes backup with a newer one.

Yes, the Aug.12.19 backup was the one i did when my text messages were still on my phone.

When my phone's text messages vanished about a week or so later, i STUPIDLY backed up my phone, thinking that the text messages were still in the phone somewhere, but just not being displayed, either due to a virus or a gliche.

The Aug.22.19 backup, is the backup that went over top of the Aug.12.19 backup. There is alot of files in that folder from Aug.12, as well as Aug.22, and well before Aug.12 back to 2015.

That is what my screen caps where illustrating, from my initial post. That there was multiple year backups, within the same back up folder.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It appears you have iTunes saving all your backups. That's okay as long as you know which one you want to restore from. From the screenshot above, you have some very old backups that probably will not restore because of subsequent updates to iOS. Do you know which one of those contain the messages you're missing?

I never got into doing Time Machine backups regularly.

yes, shoulda coulda woulda..may apply here...but had i actually known about the archiving and what it does, i would have archived after each and every iphone backup.

I'm still pissed. There must be a way for me to still get my text messages back.

The one backup has all of them up until 2015. But that gap of 4 years worth of texts....i absolutely need.

I still don't understand why they just vanished off my iphone. That actually pisses me off the most, as this phone and IOS has been solidly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    No, it's not possible from iTunes. However, as I stated above, if you have Time Machine backups saved it's possible to restore a Time Machine backup and overwrite the current backups with one that you made before which contained all your text messages. I know that method works as I have done that myself when I accidentally overwrote an iTunes backup with a newer one.

Iphone 6 backup on itunes - has multiple backups in same backup folder.   HELP!?!
    If these backups are stacked upon themselves (because they were not archived) is there no way to "un stack" them, and retreive the individual information that each back up contained?

I really don't know, nor do I know if Apple uses anything like Time Machine and its use of various linked files, but I somehow doubt it being a completely different operating system.

But while checking for such info, I did come across this I thought you might be interested in:
    How to view and access iPhone backup files
    iBackup Extractor allows you to access and view iPhone backup files. You can view files within backups on your Windows PC or Mac computer.
    How to view and access iPhone backup files

EDIT:
    Just some more additional info:
    iTunes backups
    From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup. An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:
    See list:
    About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 09-15-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Hey there, i just recently discovered something interesting.

When i do a search on my phone for a certain word or contact….it will show you results in your files, music, video, online searches, as well as text messages.

Well i've been finding results for words that came up in the search from my text messages, that have vanished in this mysterious text message disappearance.

So, how can my phone show the text messages that show up in the search, yet not be on the phone in the text messages?

I tried clicking on these text message search results, and it opens up messages, but nothing shows. Just the list of current text message recipients i've texted with since the "vanishing" act.

Any explanation for this?

Many thanks,

Richard

Hey there, i just recently discovered something interesting.
    ... ... ...
    Any explanation for this?

I sounds like you've discovered one of the poorly, half implemented "features" of the iOS.

You might wat to hear over to here with your browser and give the article a read and maybe try the "fix":
    Spotlight Search Not Working On iPhone / iPad? Fix
    Spotlight Search Not Working On iPhone / iPad? Fix - macReports

I hope that helps and works for you, and maybe post back with your results, positive or negative, so that it may help others with the same problem.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information