Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

reversing an update

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    reversing an update
    Is there any way to go back to an earlier version of an installed app? That is, if an app is updated, can the update be reversed and the old version put back?

I know this can be done by restoring a backup (and I have a recent backup that I can restore), and I know backups should be done before apps are updated so as to have the latest, but is there any other way to restore an app other than restoring a backup? I don't really want to restore the entire phone, just one app.

Does the App Store keep track of this information and allow an update to be "undone"?
    Last edited by MikeFromMesa; 08-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.

reversing an update
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    No, is the short answer; because when you update an app, the original is deleted or over written. The App Store doesn't keep a record. That applies to all apps, Apple or Third Party.

But, as you rightly say, you could use Time Machine and go back a few days, locate the app in Applications, Restore and Replace the new with the old.

Ian
    Ian

reversing an update

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    No, is the short answer; because when you update an app, the original is deleted or over written. The App Store doesn't keep a record. That applies to all apps, Apple or Third Party.

But, as you rightly say, you could use Time Machine and go back a few days, locate the app in Applications, Restore and Replace the new with the old.

Ian
    It is an app on an iPhone so TimeMachine is of no help.

I do have an iMazing backup of the iPhone from 4 days before and I could just restore the whole phone but I only wanted to return one app to its pre-update condition and did not want to go through the whole business of restoring the entire phone and then updating those apps that need it. Perhaps that is my only choice.

Apple keeps its stuff pretty much under wraps and I don't know if it is even possible to do what I would do on a Mac - copy an app from a second phone (which has the earlier version) and use it to replace the new one. Might try that with the assumption that I could always restore from the backup, but I don't really know where the apps are kept on an iPhone. Apple seems to want to keep the tinkering to a minimum.

reversing an update
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    My sincere apologies. I did not appreciate it was on an iPhone - you didn't say; but it was my error in not looking at the Forum Heading under which you made your post.

You actually might be able to restore a single app from your iMazing BU. This article suggests a possible way of doing this: How to Store, Backup and Restore Apps and App Data – iMazing Support

Ian
    Ian

reversing an update
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

reversing an update
    I do have an iMazing backup of the iPhone from 4 days before and I could just restore the whole phone but I only wanted to return one app to its pre-update condition and did not want to go through the whole business of restoring the entire phone and then updating those apps that need it. Perhaps that is my only choice.

I thought that was one of the advantages of using iMazing.app, that one could just work on/restore ONE item rather than a complete Restore.

As long as the old version existed when the backup was made.

Maybe the recently joined iMazing member could add some comment if they see this.

- Patrick
    ======

reversing an update

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I thought that was one of the advantages of using iMazing.app, that one could just work on/restore ONE item rather than a complete Restore.

As long as the old version existed when the backup was made.

Maybe the recently joined iMazing member could add some comment if they see this.
    I checked my iMazing backup and it does appear that I can restore a single app. I don't use iMazing very much so I am not familiar with all of its features and mostly had been using it to copy files to and from the iPhone, but I did make a backup of the phone and that should solve my problem. I am going to do some additional testing of the new version to make sure I need to restore the old but now it appears that I can if I need to.

Good to know. Thanks to IWT and ferrarr.

reversing an update
    Your Mac's Specs
    Good for you, Mike. You are very welcome.

Ian
    Ian

reversing an update
    I am going to do some additional testing of the new version to make sure I need to restore the old but now it appears that I can if I need to.

Just be aware that such a procedure may not always work 100% as iMazing mentions on their FAQ/Info page.

Just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information