Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iCloud Woes After No Internet For a Few Days
    I was on a dive boat for the past few days. For the first couple of days we had no cell service so no Internet.

When we finally did get cell service and 4G data I discovered that many iCloud services on both my iPhone (6s) and iPad were messed up. Messages did not work on either device and still doesn't work on my iPad, four days later. My iPhone lost all of my Music playlists, but the iPad did not. Both devices stopped adding to My Photo Stream. I'm still discovering things that were mysteriously turned off, like iCloud Music Library on my iPhone.

At one point, all of the Blue background bubbles in Messages on my iPhone turned Dark Green, but only on iMessages sent to my wife:

dark_green.jpg

The next day they were Blue again.

I still can't activate iMessage on my iPad. When I try I get this:

imessage.jpg
    Note that I am in Messages, not FaceTime when I get this message.

I have tried turning iMessage and FaceTime off, rebooting the device and turning them back on, but that doesn't work.

I'm stuck.

I should note that my wife with her iPhone X experienced none of these difficulties while on the dive trip.

I did manage to get one decent photo while diving:

batfish.jpg
    Batfish

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Very strange symptoms indeed. I've never seen anything like that happen even when services were down and back up. The only suggestion I can think of and perhaps you've already tried it, is to sign out of iCloud and then back in again.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Very strange symptoms indeed. I've never seen anything like that happen even when services were down and back up. The only suggestion I can think of and perhaps you've already tried it, is to sign out of iCloud and then back in again.
    I had avoided trying that at first because setting everything up is such a PITA. Anyway it didn't work. Still can't activate iMessage.

Plus, I got email from my banks telling me that my cards had been removed from Apple Pay. Why does signing out of iCloud on one device cause all your cards to be removed from Apple Pay? That makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BankOfAmerica
    Your credit card has been deleted from Apple PayŽ
    I've spent hours on this now and I'm at the end of my patience.

Ah, finally, here's what worked: Installing the 12.3.1 update.

There's still a lot of stuff messed up, but at least I finally have iMessage working.

Oddly, the update turned iCloud Photos ON and My Photo Stream OFF. Exactly the opposite of what I want and what I've had set for a year.

And, I had to re-add all my cards to the Wallet and re-verify with the banks. This I really don't understand.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Ratsima

Mike, I have searched high and low for proof of this; but I believe that signing out of iCloud (then signing back in) does indeed remove the Cards from Wallet. And I think the reason is that the Wallet and its Card(s) are intimately linked to that specific iPhone and its specific iCloud account and, as such, is a safety feature.

But, as I say, I can't prove this with a citation. I can say that this happened to me once in the past, but that is not proof that it always will. And you will, perhaps, excuse me if I don't try it out as an experiment

Your other settings should not be affected.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Mike, I have searched high and low for proof of this; but I believe that signing out of iCloud (then signing back in) does indeed remove the Cards from Wallet. And I think the reason is that the Wallet and its Card(s) are intimately linked to that specific iPhone and its specific iCloud account and, as such, is a safety feature.
    I understand. And, it does make some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Your other settings should not be affected.
    If only this were true. As I mentioned, logging out of iCloud changed my Photos settings. It also turned iCloud Music Library OFF which removed all my playlists.

And, even though I elected to save iCloud data locally, some of it was not saved. For example, I had to re-download all my Notes.

Anyway, it was a long and tedious process that, in the end, failed to fix my problem with Messages.

I guess I'm lucky that there was a pending iOS update because that seems to have been the only way to fix the iMessage problem.

Thread Information