Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why is logging into the MacForums iOS app so difficult?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Well here it is, the next day. I attempted to login numerous times last night with different browsers on different devices and eventually tried to change my password using the "forgot my password" option. I received the temporary password via email, I copied the password to the clipboard and attempted to login only to receive the same message and this is my real complaint, I got the "Your User Name or Password is incorrect and you have used up your quota of unsuccessful login attempts."
    What quota? I got this repeatedly after the first unsuccessful attempt. Was I supposed to wait 15min after I received the emailed password? Perhaps thats where i went wrong. If so this is a glitch. If you have forgotten a login password and you enter the forgot password once and get locked out then press the Forgot Password button and receive a new one you should be able to use it straight away, if not then the email should inform you of this.

I'm all for security but this is ridiculous. What is a quota of one about? Then i have to wait 15 min before trying again. I could understand three attempts but one?
    This morning on Chrome I managed to log in first try with the emailed password so now I'm going to try creating a new password from my settings page, back to square one.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the OP's that never reply to our answers have gotten stuck in the same loop and gave up. I did last night.
    A few months ago I was having an issue logging in as well. I must have used "forgot my password" 10 or more times. I realized when doing it, Safari was automatically filling in my login name in the "New Email" box, or it was filling in my email address in the "Login Name" box, I forget which. So, make sure you double check each box, before you submit the page.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Safari will fill in whatever information it currently has stored in your Keychain. Like Bob stated above, it sometimes will fill in old data you have there like your email address instead of your user name, or subsequently an older password.

Everyone who uses Safari or another browser that accesses Keychain data to store passwords and the like, should go through what's stored in the Keychain and remove anything that is no longer applicable. It's easy to do with Safari but may be a bit more involved with other browsers.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Now I can’t login using the MF app. Time to delete it, it’s not worth the aggravation.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    This was this morning's offering from the MF app on my iPhone. On opening it told me I did not have permission to post. Suggested I login. Settings menu seemed to indicate I was already logged in as only sign out option was available. On closing that menu login window appears with user name and password already filled, clicking login produces the below response.

9D325A97-7D60-415F-8545-A31BFB03E813.png
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    PS had the same issue on my iPad last night. As it stands the app is useless. It is a pain for me because I often find myself away from home in airports and waiting rooms of various sorts and the mobile app provides me with a constructive pastime that works on the small screen of an iPhone.

Your Mac's Specs
    Same problem on Firefox on MBP now as well although working on Firefox on iPhone, (source of the previous two posts). I'm giving up for now.

Your Mac's Specs
    Just one last word on the topic. Since it may be difficult to gauge how many people are effected by the login issue I would suggest, for those who can read threads, if not post to the topics, that they contact MF's by posting to our Facebook page. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I don't know what to tell you guys. I tried again logging out and then logging back in to the mobile Mac-Forums app, and no problem whatsoever. I did it several times to make sure. I even logged into the Admin Control Panel without any difficulty.

I wish I knew what was going on with the mobile app. Maybe if Nick reads this thread, he can get our programmer to look at things to see if he can find anything that's not working right.

About the only thing I don't like about the mobile app, is the amount of ads that I have to wade through at the opening of the app. However, after that, the ads disappear.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have been very careful to prevent browsers from auto filling the password from previous logins by cutting and pasting the password into the box rather than allowing the stored password to fill. I have also deleted all the stored old passwords from Keychain as well as Safari and Firefox. The stored passwords now match my Enpass password for this site but at the moment only Safari on MBP and Firefox on iOS are working.
    Where are you Nick?
    Anyhow I still have Safari on MBP so I guess that's better than nothing.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Well, I don't know what to tell you guys. I tried again logging out and then logging back in to the mobile Mac-Forums app, and no problem whatsoever. I did it several times to make sure. I even logged into the Admin Control Panel without any difficulty.

I wish I knew what was going on with the mobile app. Maybe if Nick reads this thread, he can get our programmer to look at things to see if he can find anything that's not working right.

About the only thing I don't like about the mobile app, is the amount of ads that I have to wade through at the opening of the app. However, after that, the ads disappear.
    I didn’t log out, I only opened the app, and it gave me the same warning Rod posted in post #19.

I can use Safari on my iPad, so it’s no bigg deal for me. I would never try to use this site/app on my phone.
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    I can use Safari on my iPad, so it’s no big deal for me. I would never try to use this site/app on my phone.
    I have to agree about using the app on an iPhone as it's just too difficult to move around the smaller screen. But I suppose if you own an iPhone XsMax it would be better. If you have a large enough screen on your iPad, then it really becomes a matter of choice whether to use the iOS app or Safari.

My iPad Pro is WiFi only so if I'm out and about, then I have no other choice but to use the app on my iPhone. Trying to do the forums using Safari on an iPhone is even worse.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I think that's where the app really shines. You can see the whole page at a decent size.

Your Mac's Specs
    As usual there is an upside to all this frustration. I lost a whole post I had written on this thread because I thought my little clip board manager would have retained it because I'd copied it just in case I got logged out or something. Then discovered the app had not launched at startup. So I'd accidentally overwritten it with the password I was using to attempt login.
    Anyhow I went to the Mac App Store and got a really good, free clip board manager called CopyClip.
    It can retain 80 plus clipboard notes and display as many of those as you like from a menu bar icon. It's economical on resources, allows you to blacklist specific apps and launches at startup.
    I'm not sure how many people use on of these things but I couldn't live without one. I used to get so tired of accidentally overwriting something I later wanted on the clipboard.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I'm not sure how many people use on of these things
    I do, Rod. Wouldn't be without one. For years now, I have used Jumpcut (free). You can purchase high-end clipboard managers for Advanced/Heavy users. They have far more functions than I need or could cope with.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs

Thread Information