Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bulk Deletion of Folders in Photos App
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I'm sorry, Ratsima,

I can't help you further. What I suggested in my rather long (sorry) post #10 worked for me and has done so in the past as well. I have run out of ideas.

You may have to follow Admin chscag's suggestion - that would mean resetting your iPad and iPhone and losing all the remaining photos on there which I can see would be a huge loss to you.

Or live with the situation as it is?

BTW: one last question. You said in post #9, that you could delete the empty folders manually. May I ask how you went about this, please? Might just point to some bulk method which I've overlooked???

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    What I suggested in my rather long (sorry) post #10 worked for me and has done so in the past as well. I have run out of ideas.
    I still don't understand how you get Image Capture to display folders. Can you post a screenshot or video showing how you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    BTW: one last question. You said in post #9, that you could delete the empty folders manually. May I ask how you went about this, please? Might just point to some bulk method which I've overlooked???
    Here's how I do it:

1. In the Photos app choose "Albums" at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Click "Edit" at the top right.
    3. Each folder will have a minus sign at the upper left.
    4. Click on the minus sign and a confirmation dialog will appear. (You can only click on one folder at a time.)
    5. Click on "Delete".
    6. Move on to the next folder.

Here's a video showing how it happens:

http://www.mgnewman.com/blogger/ipad_delete.mp4

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    The only thing that's ON is My Photo Stream. If I turn it OFF then it will delete the Photo Stream from the iPad. I don't really want to do that.

It's hard for me to see how turning Photo Stream OFF would somehow also delete a thousand empty folders on the iPad.
    No, I mean turn Photos off completely. Then after an hour, turn it back on. As long as Photo Stream is on on your PC, and you turn it back on on your device, it will all sync back.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina late 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I don't have a solution to your problem but Photo Stream is just a temporary holding point for images - they stay there for 30 days (up to 1000) then drop off consecutively but are retained in your master library wherever that is. My master library is on my MBP and as soon as anything syncs to Photo Stream, they are stored in the Photos Album. Deleting from Photo Stream does not oermanently delete.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    No, I mean turn Photos off completely. Then after an hour, turn it back on. As long as Photo Stream is on on your PC, and you turn it back on on your device, it will all sync back.
    OK. I turned Photos OFF completely in iCloud on the iPad. I waited 90 minutes and turned My Photo Stream back ON.

As suggested, the Photo Stream album was populated as described. But, as feared, the hundreds of empty folders are all still there.

The reason I was, at first, unwilling to turn My Photo Stream OFF is because of a bad experience I had last year. I turned My Photo Stream OFF on my iPad. When I turned it back ON it was populated not with the most recent 1000 photos, but with 1000 seemingly random photos from iCloud Photos which spanned years from 2002 to 2017 and in no particular order. Yet another reason why I abandoned iCloud Photos.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Well, it turned out that didn't happen. Before I turned My Photo Stream OFF on the iPad it had 1000 photos dating back to December 18th. After turning it back ON, it now has only 288 photos dating back to February 18th. So, this little exercise caused me to lose 712 photos from my iPad. (My iPhone still has 1000 photos dating back to December 18th.)

I am not a happy camper….

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Here's the sad tale:

iPad_stream.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina late 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    This photos shows how Photo Steam is supposed to work. Images are not supposed be kept over 30 days so I don't know what was happening before. But I repeat, Photo Stream is a temporary holding facilty for syncing and you have find an alternative way of storing images if you want a substantial amount on more than one device.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Sue is absolutely correct.

This very up-to-date article from Apple explains in detail how My Photo Stream works and the FAQs towards the bottom are also enlightening.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201317

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    I guess I was fooled by @ferrarr's statement that:

As long as Photo Stream is on on your PC, and you turn it back on on your device, it will all sync back.
    My Photo Stream on my iMac has about 290 photos that go back 30 days. My Photo Stream on my iPhone has 1000 photos that go back four months.

Why is it that the Mac limits My Photo Stream to only the most recent 30 days while My Photo Stream on my iPhone is only limited to the most recent 1000 photos? This behavior seems inconsistent. Which should it be? Thirty days or a thousand photos? (Before I turned My Photo Stream OFF and then ON on my iPad, it too had 1000 photos going back several months.)

And, how is it that when I turned on My Photo Stream on my iPad about a year ago it immediately loaded up 1000 photos spanning a period of fifteen years?

iPhone_stream.jpg
    Last edited by Ratsima; 03-21-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    @Ratsima, Sorry about that. I was under the impression you understood how Photo Stream worked. Everything that is no longer there, is able to sync back from your Mac. Or, you can make a shared folder on your Mac and that will sync to your devices.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    This photos shows how Photo Steam is supposed to work. Images are not supposed be kept over 30 days....
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Photos are stored in My Photo Stream for 30 days.
    I waited some time to respond to this to observe what I could. In spite of what @badshoehabit and Apple say, both my iPhone and iPad have photos that are much older than 30 days. My iPad has photos going back to February 18th of this year and my iPhone has photos going back to May 11, 2018. What happened to the 30 day limit?

Can someone explain exactly how this is supposed to work?

1970-01-01_06.59.59.jpg

2019-04-20_10.07.24.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    @Ratsima,

Both Sue and Apple are correct - BUT - the 30 day limit is frequently extended. I too, have pictures going back months in My Photo Stream on my iPhone X.

It doesn't matter that much to me because (a) I have a lot of available storage on the phone and (b) these same photos are permanently stored on my iMac in the Photos app and synced/stored in iCloud.

Every now and again, when the mood grabs me, I delete a bunch of pictures from My Photo Stream.

This said - don't count on pictures remaining in My Photo Stream for more than 30 days. Yes, they frequently do; but if they are important to you, store them in Photos app on the Mac, or in any other place you want on the Mac, or on an External Hard Drive (EHD).

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    I've never seen My Photo Stream limited to 30 days on either my iPhone or iPad. I have seen it on my iMac. As I mentioned, when I first started My Photo Stream on my iPad a little over a year ago it immediately loaded up 1000 photos that spanned fifteen years. From my point of view it seems entirely unpredictable.

Your Mac's Specs
    it seems entirely unpredictable.
    Agreed!

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information