Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

iTunes Library Transfer
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, so please excuse what you might consider to be dumb questions.
    I have an old iPhone 3 with 1500 songs. I wanted to transfer these to a MacBook Pro mid 2015. It is only possible to back up manually. I have selected "Manually manage music and videos" and then synced but my library has still not appeared on the MacBook and has also disappeared from the iPhone.
    a. How can I restore the library on the iPhone? - I use it as a iPod when travelling.
    b. How do I transfer to the MacBook?
    c. How do I then get it onto a new iPad 6th. generation?

Thank you in advance for any help.

kmbaroyale19

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I'm sorry, but you probably lost the music on the iPhone. Music (usually) is only transferred onto the iPhone, not from it. The iPhone will only sync with one computer at a time, so you can still get the music from your previous computer. When you chose to sync with your new computer, the device did what you told it to do.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I'm sorry, but you probably lost the music on the iPhone. Music (usually) is only transferred onto the iPhone, not from it. The iPhone will only sync with one computer at a time, so you can still get the music from your previous computer. When you chose to sync with your new computer, the device did what you told it to do.
    Thank you Bob. You are absolutely correct, I was able to recover the library from an old MacBook and now I have even more titles.
    The questions remain:
    How do I now transfer the music from the iPhone to MacBook Pro and iPad.
    Because of the fear of losing the library (permanently) I am wary of using iCloud.
    I had problems transferring data from the old MacBook to the Pro because they are formatted differently.

Regards
    Neville

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I had problems transferring data from the old MacBook to the Pro because they are formatted differently.
    What does that mean? I have transferred files to and from many Macs and not run into any issued because of formatting. If you explain what went wrong, what you tried, what happened, maybe we can sort ti out and move the music over directly. Please include the model of both Macs as well as the version of OSX/macOS on each.
    Jake

Jake,
    my old MacBook is a 2007 MacBook3.1, Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.6.8. The hard disk is formatted as OS Extended(Journaled).
    The MacBook Pro is mid 2015 Retina, 15 inch, 2.2GHz, Intel Core i7, running Mojave 10.14.2. The hard disk is formatted as OS Extended, case sensitive (Journaled) - this is what I remember. Disk Utility shows the type as APFS volume.
    I bought the Pro in May 2018 and, because of the different ports I didn't have a suitable connecting cable, I tried transferring data using Migration. However, a message appeared on the Pro showing that a connection was not possible due to the different formats of the hard disks.
    I hope this all means something to you. Please understand that I am an idiot and in 27 years of using Macs (starting with a a Mac SE, two of which I still have) have never had to do more than switch them on and off.
    Regards
    Neville

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    Try to connect over Wi-Fi.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iTunes Library Transfer
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    The MacBook Pro is mid 2015 Retina, 15 inch, 2.2GHz, Intel Core i7, running Mojave 10.14.2. The hard disk is formatted as OS Extended, case sensitive (Journaled) - this is what I remember. Disk Utility shows the type as APFS volume.
    That's correct. That is how it should be. As you are running macOS Mojave, it automatically converts your Mac's Internal Hard Drive to Apple File System (APFS). In fact, this started with macOS High Sierra.

Ian
    Ian

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    Neville, while all that you said is correct, none of that would prevent you from moving the files from one to the other, as long as we can connect them. You can do that using File Sharing, as Bob suggested in Post #6, or you can look for a cable to connect the two. This article from Apple discusses your options using Migration Assistant to accomplish what you want: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
    Jake

iTunes Library Transfer
    How do I now transfer the music from the iPhone to MacBook Pro and iPad.
    Because of the fear of losing the library (permanently) I am wary of using iCloud.

I think what you need now is a third-party application called iMazing.app (or maybe iExplorer) that can do all that and more, and if you Google around you will find it's available on sale for under $20± with some current Mac software bundles.

IE: iMazing 2: Universal License for Mac & Windows
    $19.99 $89.98 77% off
    by DigiDNA
    https://www.macheist.com/sales/imazi...-mac-windows-3

You can't beat that deal and it's worth a lot more IMHOl!!!

- Patrick
    ======

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbaroyale19 View Post
    Jake,
    my old MacBook is a 2007 MacBook3.1, Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.6.8. The hard disk is formatted as OS Extended(Journaled).
    I bought the Pro in May 2018 and, because of the different ports I didn't have a suitable connecting cable, I tried transferring data using Migration. However, a message appeared on the Pro showing that a connection was not possible due to the different formats of the hard disks.

Neville
    I'm going to have to do some research to be sure I'm 100% correct but assuming that the computers are connected properly I think the problem is that one drive allows case sensitive filenames and the other doesn't.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    That could be it. Except that the drive we want to move the files TO is the case sensitive one, so it should just accept the non-case sensitive files as if they were case sensitive. I'm wondering if it is an HFS+/APFS issue more than the case sensitivity.

For the OP, have you tried Sharing to enable the new machine to copy over the files from the old system? https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...-mchlp1125/mac
    Jake

iTunes Library Transfer
    Your Mac's Specs
    Why not copy your iTunes, or just all the media files associated with it, to an external drive, then use that with your new iMac to add those files to your new iTunes library?
    -- Bob --

iTunes Library Transfer
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Just copying the iTunes library inside the Music folder to an external drive should do it. Plenty of my friends have done this to save space. You can open it on the iTunes app from an external drive as a second library or consolidate into one library on the new device.

Sent from my iPhone
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I have tried File Sharing. The Pro connects immediately however, the old MacBook shows "connection failed". In the 10 years of using the MacBook I have never been able to connect to File Sharing.

Thread Information