Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Calendar email alerts
    On my Mac (OS 10.13.6), when I create a new Calendar (10.0) entry, I can create an alert, click on Custom, and specify an alert to be sent by email. However, when that email tries to send, it gets the message:

“Cannot send message using the server [deleted]. The sender address [email address] was rejected by the server [server name]."

The problem is that the email address being used is an old address. Where is Mail getting this old address from, and how can I change it?

While I'm on the subject, why is the "Custom" option not available when I create a Calendar entry on my iPhone?

Calendar email alerts
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I believe, the email is the email on your "Card" in Contacts? Do you have multiple email addresses?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I thought that you might be on to something, ferrar. My card in Contacts shows my current email address, but Siri, trying to be helpful I suppose, added 2 of my old addresses. So, I deleted them, and tested the Calendar alert again. This tine, I got a pop-up alert on my Mac but no email message and no email error! Now I'm even more confused!

Calendar email alerts
    Your Mac's Specs
    Was the old email address, the original email address you used to create your Apple ID? If so, that may indicate a deeper
    issue?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Calendar email alerts
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Are you using Apple's Mail program? I'd have to do a bit more diging on this to be sure but the Calendar program may be pulling the old email address from Mail's database. You can search that database and see if the email address is there. Here is how to find the database in Mojave and it may be in the same place in High Sierra and earlier:

1. Launch Mail on the Mac.
    2. Go to the Window menu and choose Previous Recipient
    3. In the window that appears you can search for the address to be deleted.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

1st, an update: Turns out that an email alert was attempted after I changed my Contact card. I just didn't see it. But that alert was still being sent from the old email address, and it still got the same error.

I don't know if the old email address was the one used to create my Apple ID, but my current Apple ID is the same as my current email address. When I look at my Apple ID on iCloud.com, it shows:

REACHABLE AT
    [current email]
    [current mobile #]
    [old email]

I cannot seem to delete the [old email] from that.

And, no, Slydude, the old email address is not listed in the Previous Recipients list.

Calendar email alerts
    When I look at my Apple ID on iCloud.com, it shows:
    REACHABLE AT
    [current email]
    [current mobile #]
    [old email]

Try logging in to your Apple ID at, https://appleid.apple.com and in the CONTACTABLE AT: area, click the faint Edit button and make your changes there, if your old email address is actually there.

That might fix your problem.

If not, open your Calendar.app -> Preferences -> Accounts tab -> Edit/delete any old email address.

Or maybe try doing this one first!!! That should fix any link that Calendar uses.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 11-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks, pm-r, but when I go thru iCloud.com > [my name] > iCloud Settings > Apple ID Manage I end up at https://appleid.apple.com. It's just more roundabout my way! Any other ideas?

Calendar email alerts
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @tobinda

I'd be inclined to follow Moderator Slydude's advice in post #5.

To repeat what he said:

Go into Mail. On the very top menu bar you will see "Window". Click on that and then choose "Previous Recipients".

This will open a small window. Scroll through these and see if any of your "dead" email addresses are there. If so, click to highlight and then "Remove".

Ian
    Ian

Calendar email alerts
    Your Mac's Specs
    Is it trying to send from that email, or is it not receiving the email?
    -- Bob --

Calendar email alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindia View Post
    Thanks, pm-r, but when I go thru iCloud.com > [my name] > iCloud Settings > Apple ID Manage I end up at https://appleid.apple.com. It's just more roundabout my way! Any other ideas?

Did you manage to check your Calendar -> Preferences -> Accounts tab E-mail address or addresses as I would think that's probably where any Calendar E-mail alert would originate from.

As a nonconstructive rather pathetic Apple help, they have an online Calendar User Guide for HS and Mojave and not a single mention of any E-mail alert Notification.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...ar/welcome/mac

PS: I thought Mail's "Previous Recipients" was mainly to help with spam and a few other things, not alert notifications, but I could be wrong.

Correction: Apple does mention an alert via email if you look and navigate through the back door:
    Set event alerts and receive notifications in Calendar on Mac
    Be notified of an upcoming Calendar event by setting one or more alerts. An alert can place a notification on your screen, send an email, or open a file.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...ns-icl1012/mac

Not exactly full of details when it doesn't work.

PPS: also check your Mail.app -> Preferences -> Accounts and disable or delete any old nonworking E-mail account from there.

For the Calendar alert E-mail Address you want to use, use Mail, select the E-mail address you want to use, and send yourself a test e-mail to check and see if it works.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 11-13-2018 at 01:56 PM.

And the winner is... pm-r!!! Your suggestion to disable unused email accounts from Mail.app -> Preferences -> Accounts did the trick. I am now getting alerts via email!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and patience!

Calendar email alerts
    And the winner is... pm-r!!!

TA-DA!!!! Still with some usability left it seems and thanks for posting back with the good news and I'm glad to hear it's working properly.

- Patrick
    ======

Calendar email alerts
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Still got it in you Patrick. Bravo.

Ian
    Ian

Calendar email alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Still got it in you Patrick. Bravo.

Ian

Thanks Ian,
    It keeps the old brain active, but I think the hardest part is trying to figure out the logic, if any, of what or why Apple does some things or where they hide some things these days.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information