Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Compatiblity

Compatiblity

Your Mac's Specs
    Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage
    Compatiblity
    Im pretty new to ios and even mac, i live in south africa and the trend is really only picking up now so ive had to start bothering with designs and compatibility on these browsers and platforms too.

I know android and windows are easy going and go very compatible in terms of languages , apple has made a point of not having compatibility , for the reason of a safer more stable device. Especially on ios. Does this however run both ways?

Compatiblity
    For application programming, Android uses Java (moving to Kotlin) and Windows (pretty much dead now) used C#. iOS uses Objective-C and Swift as do macOS/OS X.

There are a handful of cross-platform frameworks (Xamarian for one) that allows you to write applications in one language (C# I believe) and deploy on a bunch of different devices. These apps tend to be native as well.

Another trend that is gaining a lot of traction is the use of hybrid apps (apps that run within a browser window which no controls) which is programmed using HTML/JavaScript like a regular web app. Frameworks like Meteor, Ionic, Firebase and so on give you the ability of creating these apps that have a native look and feel by using a variety of CSS/JS tricks.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with compatibility, since technically Android isn't compatible with anything outside of itself, as is Windows and iOS.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Compatiblity

Your Mac's Specs
    Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    For application programming, Android uses Java (moving to Kotlin) and Windows (pretty much dead now) used C#. iOS uses Objective-C and Swift as do macOS/OS X.

There are a handful of cross-platform frameworks (Xamarian for one) that allows you to write applications in one language (C# I believe) and deploy on a bunch of different devices. These apps tend to be native as well.

Another trend that is gaining a lot of traction is the use of hybrid apps (apps that run within a browser window which no controls) which is programmed using HTML/JavaScript like a regular web app. Frameworks like Meteor, Ionic, Firebase and so on give you the ability of creating these apps that have a native look and feel by using a variety of CSS/JS tricks.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with compatibility, since technically Android isn't compatible with anything outside of itself, as is Windows and iOS.
    Oh i wasnt trying to make a point , i just remember when i used to program websites , my main concern for compatibility was always ios. I guess if i had started progrmming on a mac it would be the other way around.

Are there any disadvantages to the cross-platform frameworks you mentioned? ( i know nothing of this ) mostly Java and a bit of swift.

Last;y thanks for the response yes i read a while back the only thing keeping Microsoft alive , is office 360 and xbox . It seems things are only going to get harder for them now with apples huge success on the iphone x . I never would have though in my lifetime i would see Microsoft play second fiddle to anyone else lol

Compatiblity
    Well we are mixing and matching a few things here..

From a website perspective, you have to deal with the major browsers Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer/Edge. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine and thus requires compatibility hooks to ensure that the rendered content looks the same.

On iOS, Safari uses the same Webkit-powered system as the desktop Safari, same with Chrome on iOS as opposed to Desktop and so on.

So once you make things compatible on the desktop, it should just work on the mobile (iOS, Android, etc) as long as you are accommodating for the screen size changes.

The cross-platform frameworks biggest disadvantage is that you are a couple of layers removed from the native system and can only do things that they give you access to. The whole idea of going native is that you have complete control. Additionally, some cross-platform frameworks are best suited for non-gaming applications. If gaming is an interest then there are specific cross-platform gaming frameworks for 2D only. A lot of people for 3D gaming use the Unity engine which is cross-platform.

Microsoft is and will always be strong in the corporate world. They make a TON of money from Exchange, SQL server and their suite of programs like Office and Visual Studio. While the Xbox line is also profitable, the next big that will make MS a lot of money is their Azure cloud platform. AWS is the clear leader here, and GCP is playing catch up, but Azure is slowly winning over a lot of people who are already entrenched in MS technologies.

And now I think I've gone sufficiently and wholly off-topic..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Compatiblity

Your Mac's Specs
    I dont mind any information that i didnt know is a plus to me. The rise of mobile use has really complicated things in terms of what do you as a Framework or even platform to invest your time and learning in. For websites it was and is still pretty simple , Html css javascript and php and with those you can pretty much do what you want. Because everything else like node or angular or laravel ect ect is based of those cores. I guess i am looking for the mobile equivalent of that.

Thanks for your response and effort razor.

Oh geez i didnt mention c++ if this was a developer forum i would get hung for that

Thread Information