Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

2 iPhones - Why can't I use each's number solely?
    I use 2 iPhones with 2 different phone numbers - But I obviously have 1 iCloud/Apple account - every time I enable Face Time/Messages on either device, it populates on both phones. Isn't there a way to simply use one phone with its number and the other device with its unique number? Or will both numbers always appear on each phone? How can I make sure I am sending texts, calls, etc. from the "right" number from the corresponding phone? Also, if I get a voicemail on one number, does it have to appear on the other phone?

Maybe this is actually advantageous? Just just not used to it coming from android.

Thanks

Mike

MacInWin
    You can create a second Apple ID and associate it with one number, then disassociate that number from your original AppleID account. That way each iPhone will be separate. The downside to this approach is that you then have to buy (and pay for) each app you want on each iPhone. But, if you have two email addresses, you can use a separate email address for each Apple ID and then use Family Sharing to share apps between the two. Then when you text and call, only the phone on which you actually make that text/call will appear. I can't speak for voicemail, I think that's up to your phone company and I do believe that they are separately assigned to each iPhone through the number.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Jake is correct. I know because I have the same problem since both our iPhones are listed under my Apple ID with the same iCloud account. However, I have looked at doing it the other way as Jake described above, and decided I can live with some inconvenience rather than creating another Apple ID for my wife. And with Apple now requiring 2FA for all new accounts, doing it that way is out of the question.

You have to decide though.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Mike and Jake.

I think there might be another way of solving this without a second Apple ID

On each phone, Go into Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.

Look at the "CONTACTABLE AT" list. You can Edit this on each phone so that only that phone's number is shown (instead of both numbers).

Then each phone should behave as separate devices.

See if that works.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Actually in iOS 11.1 it is not "contactable at" but "reachable at".

While this is a good suggestion, it does not work. I already have my email address, number, name, and so forth listed but still have the same problem as outlined by the OP above. The reason it doesn't work is that Apple assumes because you have the same Apple ID on both devices, you also wish to receive the same information on both.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Oh well. Worth a thought. Not having a good night tonight with answers

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    This 'should' work: Settings - Messages - Send & Receive - untick everything except the phone numbers

If not consider this setup:

iPhone1
    App Store - Apple ID A
    iCloud etc - Apple ID A

iPhone2
    App Store - Apple ID A
    iCloud etc - Apple ID B

Where Apple ID B is a new apple ID. This way you can share the purchasing etc.

Another alternative is:
    iPhone1
    App Store - Apple ID A
    iCloud etc - Apple ID A

iPhone2
    App Store - Apple ID B
    iCloud etc - Apple ID B

And use family sharing

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

MacInWin
    mrplow, that first option probably won't work as I don't think you can use two AppleIDs on one phone. The second option is what I suggested earlier. But to use Family Sharing, the emails associated with the two accounts must be different. Trust me, I know from experience on that one.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    I run 5 iPhones using one ID as the store ID and a separate one on each for iCloud. Itís the way Iíve managed the family phones for years.
    You can now use iCloud.com emails for account creation so the emails would be different.

However the first option of the three should work without messing with IDs

Your Mac's Specs
    Certainly a good solution for a savvy user. However, it still requires the creation of another Apple ID. And like I reminded everyone above, Apple will implement 2FA on a new Apple ID. Not a good solution for me and I suspect some others.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thatís why my first suggestion was this:

This 'should' work: Settings - Messages - Send & Receive - untick everything except the phone numbers

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm a bit slow today.... OK, I see what you mean now. I just checked my settings in messages and will give what you suggested above a try. I'll also have to do the same on my wife's phone which is also listed under my Apple ID. Thanks.

Thread Information