Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

App not Prompting To Choose Local or iCloud Data
    There is a game that my child plays on my iPad, Freeblade by Pixel Toys. The data is saved locally and on iCloud. When I decided to installl it on my iPhone it wouldn't prompt me to select which data to use. The app on my iPhone behaves as if the game is being played for the first time. I cleared the app and data and reinstalled, still the same results. However, when my child plays the game on the iPad it does prompt us whether to use the local or iCloud data. The local data is correct, the iCloud data was apparently overwritten and saved from my iPhone.

How can I force the iPhone/app to prompt me to select the source data instead of overwriting the "correct" iCloud data that was saved from my iPad? The developer's FAQ on their website says the app is designed to work on both devices and sync across platform but have not been helpful in responding after a few inquiries.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    If the app is designed to sync via iCloud, then both your iPhone and the iPad must be signed into iCloud and use the same Apple ID and password. If that's not occurring, then it could possibly be a problem with the app itself.

As far as the app asking to select source data rather than overwriting the iCloud data, that would be something that has to be programmed. The developer would be your best source of information for that. However, considering how inexpensive most iOS games are, developers are not going to spend a lot of time with support.

I am signed into iCloud on both devices with the same account.

When I try to run the app on the iPhone, it overwrites the "preferred" iCloud data saved from the iPad. And when I run the app from the iPad, it will prompt me to select either local or iCloud. I have to select local to keep the correct data. After that and as long as I don't run the app from the iPhone, I will not get the prompt on the iPad.

What happens if I delete the app from iTunes via my iMac but only for the iPhone? And when I download it on the iPhone from the Apps Store will it see it has a new download (and not show it as an iCloud download)? Would that cause the app on the iPhone to prompt me to the select the source data or would it overwrite the iCloud data like before?
    Last edited by PixelMage; 02-22-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelMage View Post
    I am signed into iCloud on both devices with the same account.

What happens if I delete the app from iTunes via my iMac but only for the iPhone? And when I download it on the iPhone from the Apps Store will it see it has a new download (and not show it as an iCloud download)? Would that cause the app on the iPhone to prompt me to the select the source data or would it overwrite the iCloud data like before?
    I suspect the same thing will happen. And it will show up as an iCloud download because it's already in your purchased list. I have several apps that I have on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and our iPad. However, they run independently of each other even though they are listed under my Apple ID and password. In other words, data from one does not overwrite the data from another.

It seems to me you're up against an app that was written that way. Something else... some apps act and display differently when run from an iPad than from an iPhone because of screen size and resolution. That shoudn't impact the data, but who knows?

That's why I don't like to trust iCloud for my game's history. It's better to keep a back-up in your computer. I'm still not quite sure when do the iCloud back-up of a game works.

Thread Information