Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: iPhone clean-up

iPhone clean-up

Your Mac's Specs
    27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
    iPhone clean-up
    Hi All,

Is there an OnyX application for the iPhone iOS?

Thanks,

iPhone clean-up
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by ryeh20 View Post
    Hi All,

Is there an OnyX application for the iPhone iOS? Thanks,
    No, but what is it that you're having difficulty with?

iPhone clean-up
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    There are some apps that claim to be able to "clean up" an iPhone or iPad but I have no idea whether they are useful or not. Although a web search for iPhone cleanup aps will yield results you can do a cleanup of your own rather easily and without the risk of downloading a bad app. I think Charlie has asked the right question: What is the difficulty that you are having?

BTW if you are just trying to free up some space on your phone/iPad start by deleting apps that you no longer need/use. You won't be able to delete apps that came with the phone but most of us have things on our devices that we rarely/never use. If that doesn't work try the following tip:

1. On your IOS device go to Settings>General>About and check your Available space.Leave this open in the background you’ll need to return to it shortly.
    2. Launch iTunes Store and find a movie to rent that is larger than the space you have available. Check the size by going to the information page and tapping the Details button. File size is just below Cast and Crew info.
    3. Tap twice like you are going to rent the movie.
    4. You should quickly see a warning about not being able to complete the download but to lack of space.
    5. Go back to Settings>General>About and check your Available space. If the number has gone up repeat the attempt to rent the movie and see if the available space goes up. Do this until the number stops going up.

I tried this on my iPhone 6s and recovered about 400 MB of space and got similar results on my Pad. Some users report having recovered several gigs of space.Some users report having recovered several gigs of space.

I ran this tip as part of the Sunday chat last week. You can find the rest of the tips/information here.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iPhone clean-up

Your Mac's Specs
    27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
    There are no specific issues. I find when I use OnyX on my iMac it runs faster, the background picture is more clear and sharp, and I feel the machine has been optimized, so it must be doing great things while it is running. I wanted that same feeling of semi-yearly maintenance for my iPhone.

iPhone clean-up
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by ryeh20 View Post
    There are no specific issues. I find when I use OnyX on my iMac it runs faster, the background picture is more clear and sharp, and I feel the machine has been optimized, so it must be doing great things while it is running. I wanted that same feeling of semi-yearly maintenance for my iPhone.
    That's understandable, but you have to know that iOS is not the same as OS X. Slydude gave you one way with a tip from his video chats that he conducts weekly, but you can always elect to reset your iPhone from iTunes (after making a backup of course) and eliminating a lot of stuff you no longer need. Many of us collect notes, photos, and other things we no longer want on our phone. If you're into social media a lot, you be surprised how much can accumulate that you're not aware of.

iPhone clean-up
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I agree with all of the above, given the bad experiences some users have had with OSX "cleaners" I would stay well away from apps that claim to clean an iPhone. Note removing apps on the phone also removes all associated data. If you think something is hogging you storage you can always uninstall then reinstall.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

iPhone clean-up

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks everyone. As I stated earlier, I have no issues with space or anything else really. I just know how well OnyX works on the iMac and I wanted to know if they had an App for the iPhone as well.

Thread Information