Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connecting iPhone to iMac launches Photos app
    In El Capitan, the Photo/Preferences now only has 2 tabs, General and iCloud. I'm unable to locate the option to disable launching Photos when iPhone is connected to iMac.

Don't have El Cap yet, but see if Image Capture is still present, if so you can set it to Disable in there. That's how it was in the pervious versions of OS X (regardless of the fact that iPhoto or Photos was being launched)..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by WMarkJ View Post
    In El Capitan, the Photo/Preferences now only has 2 tabs, General and iCloud. I'm unable to locate the option to disable launching Photos when iPhone is connected to iMac.
    When the Phone is connected in Photos at the top you will see a check box next to your phone's description that says "Open Photos for this Device"..uncheck that and all should be good.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Open Photos > Preferences > General Tab. Should be "connecting camera opens" with three options: photos, image capture, none. You choose. If no success, try Pendlewitch's suggestion - #3

Ian
    Ian

Image Capture App... "Connecting this iPhone opens" - "No Application". This is what stops the Photos App from opening at the start of connecting an iPhone to iTunes.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    pendlewitch has it in one. You must connect iPhone first then uncheck the Open Photos for this Device box.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    pendlewitch has it in one...
    I posted having seen pendlewitch's reply. The link that pendlewitch references, is a conditional link (not always visible) in the Photos app. My reply was posted for the benefit of anyone else having the same issue. It's an alternate (maybe better) fix. If you were more familiar with how this issue presents itself, perhaps you wouldn't have been so quick to post. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Izen; 10-19-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izen View Post
    I posted having seen pendlewitch's reply. The link that pendlewitch references, is a conditional link (not always visible) in the Photos app. My reply was posted for the benefit of anyone else having the same issue. It's an alternate (maybe better) fix. If you were more familiar with how this issue presents itself, perhaps you wouldn't have been so quick to post. Thanks anyway.
    Chill out Izen! I don't think Rod Sprague meant any harm ,the OP wanted to stop Photos opening and most users don't use Image Capture.

Your Mac's Specs
    Izen, I guess I kinda like the simple answers first but as usual there is more that one way to skin a cat however for someone who has only posted twice in this forum you could be a little less touchy. My post was not meant to be a criticism of yours and I'm a kitty cat compared to some of the members on this forum. If the easiest option doesn't work we can move on to your suggestion. That's what it's all about.

Folks, if you note the original post the option to disable in photos isn't always visible. That was also my own experience. A search led me to find another (alternate) fix, which I'd posted for the benefit of anyone else encountering the same issue. Personally, I didn't even know of the image capture app, but the solution worked for me.

I posted quoting Rod Sprague, because I had wanted to point out that there wasn't only one easy fix as he'd alluded to. That he wasn't completely familiar with the issue should be obvious and wasn't posted (on my part) confrontationally. This is precisely why I ended with a smiley emoticon.

pendlewitch, I am far more relaxed than you would ever imagine. Maybe you're projecting something by offering me that advice.

Rod, I like simple answers too. I like any answer that works. I was just trying to be helpful.

...yeah, I can understand the mass reaction - only two posts from a newb - sorry I posted at all... and btw, my first post was purely objective and informational... and if you can try and see it from my perspective, you jumped in (on me), by posting "pendlewitch has it in one". As if, he had all the bases covered. In actuality, he'd posted a good answer, and I'd posted another, different one. From an objective and neutral POV Rod, your post to me was unnecessary. I explained myself and posted a smiley to end.

You guys... I really don't have the attitude that you may think. I'll just say; Sorry if I came off badly. Didn't mean to. Won't happen again, and sorry to have intruded in your space. You can have it back now.

Your Mac's Specs
    If you're going to take your bat an ball an go home I think that just proves my point, however this all amounts to a minor misunderstanding in my opinion. What I said about me being a relative ***** compared to some was well intentioned advice. I personally have been corrected and frankly insulted on some forums (not this one) but it does not stop me from posting again. There are some vicious self opinionated people out there so it doesn't pay to be too thin skinned when you obviously have valuable information to offer.
    I apologise for this entire affair and hope that you will continue to offer your advice and suggestions on this forum.
    You certainly should not judge the entire Mac Forums community by one or two members, collectively we are a pretty nice bunch.

Your Mac's Specs
    WMarkJ, did we actually manage to solve your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Izen View Post

I am far more relaxed than you would ever imagine. Maybe you're projecting something by offering me that advice.
    Nope..no projection whatever that means...just an opportunity for you to laugh it off and move on.

Yup. We can all move on.
    All's well that ends...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I just plugged in my HP camera into my iMac with latest El Capitan and Photos came up and had that check box in the top left corner. I unchecked it and plugged in the camera again and it did not launch photos. Works for me here anyway! grin

Thread Information