Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iPad Safari - Pop Ups/Under Ads on MacForums?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Not an important issue but just curious - on my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.3), when I'm on the MacForums (using Safari), I occasionally will get a pop up ad or will see the the screen page curled at the bottom right and lifting will reveal a 'pop under ad' - an example of the latter occurred this afternoon and is shown below - all of these have the name [a-mo-bee] at the top right.

Safari is set to block pop-ups in Settings on the iPad and I rarely have an issue w/ any other websites on that device - now, when I'm on the forum using Safari on my MBPro, I cannot remember getting any pop ups. Any clues or comments? Thanks - Dave

P.S. the content of these ads varies and the one attached is the first seen w/ Jennifer Lopez.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RadDave; 06-05-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: P.S. added!
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    I am not an iPad user Dave, however my sons both speak of AdBlockPlus:-

Ipad Adblock Plus | Adblock for iOS 8 - Block LayerAds, Pop ups, Banner for iPhone & iPad
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    I am not an iPad user Dave, however my sons both speak of AdBlockPlus:-

Ipad Adblock Plus | Adblock for iOS 8 - Block LayerAds, Pop ups, Banner for iPhone & iPad
    Thanks Harry - I have AdBlock & Ghostery on my MBPro and should have looked for 'something similar' for iOS 8 - will take a look right now! Dave

chas_m
    Be aware that AdBlock Plus has been the center of some controversy over its own business practices.

Also be aware that using an adblocker on sites like Mac-Forums will kill them. Either become a premium member (cheap!) or whitelist Mac-Forums if you want it to survive.

(the above should be a standard disclaimer added to certain members' frequent admonitions for users to acquire and use adblockers.)

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I use a VPN for certain practices, and with this one, it is also a AdBlocker. I can use the VPM/Smart DNS on my Router or any individual device.
    It works great, even in say a Twitter client, on my iPad Air 2, I open the in-app browser and there is a Ad. I select VPN in iPad settings, and its gone . . .

Something else to consider, if its a BIG issue.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Glad you posted this Dave. I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks now. It makes surfing the forums on the iPad annoying. In my case I need to spend some time checking Safari't preferences on the iPad. It does not seem to remember me when I tell it to do so. I can log in and ask it to remember me but each page presents itself as if I have never logged in. Complete with the suggestion to join the site.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Glad you posted this Dave. I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks now. It makes surfing the forums on the iPad annoying. In my case I need to spend some time checking Safari't preferences on the iPad. It does not seem to remember me when I tell it to do so. I can log in and ask it to remember me but each page presents itself as if I have never logged in. Complete with the suggestion to join the site.
    And whats wrong with using the Mac Forums iPad App ?? I think it works really well, albeit, far from what the Browser version looks like.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Be aware that AdBlock Plus has been the center of some controversy over its own business practices.

Also be aware that using an adblocker on sites like Mac-Forums will kill them. Either become a premium member (cheap!) or whitelist Mac-Forums if you want it to survive.

(the above should be a standard disclaimer added to certain members' frequent admonitions for users to acquire and use adblockers.)
    Hi Chas_m - thanks for your response - I'm already a premium member so not sure it that is the answer - it's really a minor annoyance but just curious why it is happening basically only on the MacForums website? Is it part of their advertising and have any others really observed this behavior of their iPads? Thanks - Dave

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    . . . .and have any others really observed this behavior of their iPads? Thanks - Dave
    I have just spent the last hour in Safari probing around the Forum, and not once did this popup come up for me.

How often are you seeing it Dave ?? Do you have Chrome, Puffin, Atomic, Opera or Dolphin installed to see if it happens in any of them ?? Most of these have there own Popup Stopper too. Atomic, has a built-in AdBlocker of its own . . .
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I have just spent the last hour in Safari probing around the Forum, and not once did this popup come up for me.

How often are you seeing it Dave ?? Do you have Chrome, Puffin, Atomic, Opera or Dolphin installed to see if it happens in any of them ?? Most of these have there own Popup Stopper too. Atomic, has a built-in AdBlocker of its own . . .
    Hi TM - well that particular pop-up only comes up when I'm on the MacForums website on Safari - not each time I'm on but maybe every 3-4 visits (kind of a guess). I do have about 3 other browsers (Puffin, Atomic, etc.) installed on the iPad but have not really done any comparisons - not really a big issue for me but just was curious if the forum sponsors might be involved since I have not seen this on other sites visited? Thanks for your interest - Dave

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    And whats wrong with using the Mac Forums iPad App ?? I think it works really well, albeit, far from what the Browser version looks like.
    I used it a bit when it first came out. Had to wipe my iPad recently and haven't reinstalled it yet.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information