Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thumbs up Router reboots every-time I open Macbook Pro
    I have been having this issue for a few months now and am trying to figure out what is causing the issue. Every time I boot my Macbook up, my router reboots. I have no idea where to start to try and figure this issue out, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Router reboots every-time I open Macbook Pro
    What router is it? Are you connecting over WiFi or Ethernet? Are there other devices connected to the router and does the same thing happen with them?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

The router is a NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band AC1900 Router that we are using from Spectrum. There are multiple other devices connected but none of the other devices cause this to happen. The router only reboots when we open the computer, and reboots 2-3 times before working properly (consistently).

I'm going to assume the Mac is connecting over WiFi since you didn't say. So once the machine boots up and the router restarts. Go ahead and turn off WiFi. Power down the Mac and then bring it back up. Once up, the router shouldn't be rebooting or anything. Then enable WiFi on the Mac and see if the connection causes the reboot.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    This is a long shot, but you might look at what is in your login startup list (System Preferences/Users & Groups/youraccount Login Items). Is there any router-related software there?

If not, you can also see if Etrecheck lists anything at startup router related.

My thinking is that something you did to control the router at some point in the past is still there and still affecting the router.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I'm going to assume the Mac is connecting over WiFi since you didn't say. So once the machine boots up and the router restarts. Go ahead and turn off WiFi. Power down the Mac and then bring it back up. Once up, the router shouldn't be rebooting or anything. Then enable WiFi on the Mac and see if the connection causes the reboot.
    It is connected over WiFi. I did what you mentioned above and the router rebooted when I turned on my WiFi again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You may have something running in the background that's booting your router up as soon as you turn on WiFi.

Here's what we want you to try:

Turn off WiFi and shut your Mac down. Now start up in Safe Mode: (hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot chime and keep holding it down until you see the Apple appear). After your Mac starts up in safe mode, turn on WiFi to see if the router restarts.

Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You may have something running in the background that's booting your router up as soon as you turn on WiFi.

Here's what we want you to try:

Turn off WiFi and shut your Mac down. Now start up in Safe Mode: (hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot chime and keep holding it down until you see the Apple appear). After your Mac starts up in safe mode, turn on WiFi to see if the router restarts.

Let us know.
    Running in safe mode didn't shut off the router at all. How can I figure out what program is causing it now?

Quote Originally Posted by milcf View Post
    Running in safe mode didn't shut off the router at all. How can I figure out what program is causing it now?
    It's a manual process of ensuring that no apps start automatically and then starting them one at a time until you (hopefully) find the culprit.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by milcf View Post
    Check to see what applications are loading on startup by going to System Preferences Users & Groups. Select your user account, then the Login Items tab. This may not be a complete list of everything loading on startup, but it's the first place to check.

Also consider upgrading the firmware on the router if it's not up to date. Below is a download link for the R7000 version of the AC1900 if that's what you have.
    Nighthawk R7000 | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information