Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Self-Assigned IP Address
    I went back to this place today for the first time in a while. Once again, I got a self-assigned IP address on both my iPhone and iPad. After placing my order I walked around a bit to find a place to sit. There were almost a dozen other customers, all busy working on their phones and/or laptops. I sat down across from a woman with an iPhone and laptop. She was connected to WiFi with both; watching videos on her laptop while doing Line Chat on her phone. A guy who came in just after me and sat down next to me immediately connected to WiFi with his iPhone.

My daughter happened to be working there. When she delivered my cappuccino I told her I couldn't connect to the WiFi and asked her if any other customer was having trouble. She said, "No.". I said, "So, it's only me?". She said, "Yes, only you."

Keep in mind that this has been going on for several years. In the interim I have tried:

• Forgetting the network
    • Resetting network settings
    • Restarting the devices

I have also done a factory reset on my iPhone (for other reasons).

I sent the company an email requesting them to shorten the DHCP lease time. Their response?

"Thank you for your suggestion."

Nothing has worked.

How do I fix this?

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Are you using a VPN, and they're not? Or any other extra security apps?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Are you using a VPN, and they're not? Or any other extra security apps?
    No, nothing.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    I assume you've tried the various "fixes" such as this?:

YouTube

And have you tried the "Wireless Diagnosis?
    Hold down the option button and it should be available at the bottom of the Airport menu dropdown list.
    (Unless Apple moved it or removed it from the latest OSs. I don't know as I mainly just use Mavericks 10.9.5 and it's certainly there.)

EDIT:
    And how about this???
    HOW-TO
    Internet not Working Due to Self-Assigned IP Address on Mac: How to Fix the Issue

Internet not Working Due to Self-Assigned IP Address on Mac: How to Fix the Issue

It looks like it's a bit more drastic and deleting some files that may be corrupt.

Worth a try I'd say.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 09-06-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    And an old apple-discussions method that seems to have worked for many. * *(yes a 7 year old post)

The second time I found a better solution from someone on this forum:

Go to Network Settings

Turn Airport Off

Click Advanced tab

Select my wifi network and hit minus sign to delete

Click Okay

Click apply

Go to Keychain access in Applications/Utilities

Find your network name in the list and delete that password login

Then go back to Network settings and turn airport back on

Click Advanced

Click plus sign then Show Networks

Choose your network and re-enter your password

Click Okay

Click Apply

Then airport should work again, this is what fixed it for me.
    Ya never know... ;-)

- Patrick
    ======

Self-Assigned IP Address
    I have spent several years researching this and trying everything I have found.

The only thing that ever worked for me is setting the IP address manually.

Keep in mind that when I visit this place I only have an iPad and an iPhone. I don't have a laptop. So, the solutions that involve stuff like Network Diagnostics and deleting configuration and/or preferences files doesn't apply.

However, I may have a clue:

All the SSIDs of the places I visit (and my own SSIDs) are in my iCloud Keychain, except for this one place (classkorat) which is not in the iCloud Keychain but is in both the Login and System keychains. No idea how this happened or why it happened.

Screenshot 2019-09-07 06.27.21.jpg

Screenshot 2019-09-07 06.28.11.jpg

I will delete these SSIDs from. Next time I visit they should be added to the iCloud Keychain. That might work.

We'll see. Unfortunately, I probably won't visit this place soon as I will be away from home for the next few weeks.

Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ratsima; 09-06-2019 at 07:34 PM.

I occasionally have this problem at hotels where I can't connect to their WiFi

Have you tried this:

From the menu bar, select
     ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Network ▹ Advanced... ▹ DNS
    Under DNS Servers you should have one or more numerical addresses, such as “192.168.1.1” or “10.0.0.1”.
    Delete those addresses, then, in the TCP/IP tab, click Renew DHCP Lease.
    Close the preference pane and save the changes.
    Try the sign-in procedure again.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Thanks for the suggestion @krs. I'm on a iPhone/iPad. But, yeah, I have tried with no DNS, Google DNS, Open DNS, etc. No joy in this particular situation. It is worth remembering, though.

Here's the only thing that has worked for me:

• Configure IP: Manual
    • Enter an IP address that I think will work
    • Enter a Subnet Mask appropriate for the above IP address
    • Enter the router IP
    • Configure DNS: Automatic

After doing that it connects immediately and I'm good to go.

The way I get the IP address I think will work is by asking other customers what their IP address is. From that make up a useable IP and I can deduce the Subnet Mask and router IP.

So, it's pretty clear that this is a DHCP problem. For some reason, their router won't give either of my devices an IP address, but it will give an IP address to everybody else.

Another thing to note: This particular chain of coffee shops uses the same SSID and password at every location. I have no trouble connecting to the WiFi at other branches, it's just the one closest to my house that doesn't work.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    There has to be something in your settings that is not working with the router set up. Your workaround will work until the router issues a number to someone that is the same as the manual number you have entered. At that point both you and the other user will start getting errors about networking issues. Does DHCP work for you everywhere else but this one shop? And only on the iPhone and not the iPad? Just want to make sure about what is happening before making any suggestions.
    Jake

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    There has to be something in your settings that is not working with the router set up. Your workaround will work until the router issues a number to someone that is the same as the manual number you have entered. At that point both you and the other user will start getting errors about networking issues. Does DHCP work for you everywhere else but this one shop? And only on the iPhone and not the iPad? Just want to make sure about what is happening before making any suggestions.
    So far I’ve never had the problem of picking an IP address that’s already in use or that gets assigned after I start using it.

DHCP works everywhere else. It only fails at this one shop.

The problem affects both my iPhone and iPad. It continued to affect my iPhone even after I did a complete reset of the device in order to leave the iOS beta program.

I have tried forgetting the network and resetting network settings on both devices.

The big problem with the workaround is that this chain uses the same SSID and password at all branches, but different subnets. If I go to a different branch I assign myself an IP address in the wrong subnet. So, I switch to automatic DHCP which works fine until I return to the problematic router. (ZTE brand, BTW.)

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Did you try switching to the wrong subnet at this location? Try to connect, then switch back to DHCP?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Did you try switching to the wrong subnet at this location? Try to connect, then switch back to DHCP?
    No. I haven’t tried that. Next time I’m there I will.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just thinking out loud, but given that all of the shops use the same SSID and password, do they all use the same network addresses? That is, do they all use 192.168.x.y? If not, and if your system has the SSID/login information stored for a different shop, maybe when you enter this one it tries to use that data and cannot find the router. That's a stretch, but could explain why others can get in and use the network and you cannot.

I know you said you tried "forgetting" the network, but it may be that some artifact is still hanging around. Also, I noted that classkorat apparently has two separate networks, one not showing the band and one for 5Ghz. Do all of the shops separate their bands by name like that?

You might also look at a network analyzer application, something like "Fing," or "Network Analyzer," to try out in the shop to see what is actually being broadcast by the router. Just go to the App Store and search for "Network Analyzer" and there are lots of options.
    Jake

Self-Assigned IP Address
    I’ve used both Fing and Net Analyzer to look at this network. Nothing stands out.

Both of my devices are able to find the router and log in with saved passwords. But, DHCP fails for both. As soon as I enter an IP manually, I’m good to go.

All the branches use separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Same password for all of them.

The branches use different subnets. So, my saved manual IP only works at the one shop.

I can’t help but think that this is something simple that we’re overlooking.

Self-Assigned IP Address
    Your Mac's Specs
    The branches use different subnets.
    That is very, very strange. Subnets are denoted with a subnet mask of the form 255.255.255.0 where the 255s are there to match the first set of numbers in the IP and the 0 is there to allow the DHCP server to assign a number there. Assuming all of the shops use the range of 192.168.1.x, the subnet mask for all of them should be 255.255.255.0.

Now if you are saying that the various shops differ in the way the DHCP is setup, for example, one shop uses 192.168.1.x and another uses 10.0.0.x, then the subnet mask for both of them still would be 255.255.255.0.

So what, exactly, are you doing with this subnet setting?
    Jake

Thread Information