Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Strange happenings on the BBC News web site?
    Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire England
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD
    I had no idea where to put this thread, so I'm sorry if this isn't the right place, but?

Yesterday, using Firefox, SWMBO told me that on the BBC News web site she had tried to go to the business pages. The link is amongst the links across the top of the main page. All she got was

"Not found. Please check your DNS. Internal reference TA-1437.".

The same occurs with any of the links across the top of the page, but if you then try any of the headlines on the page they are perfectly OK and link straight away. I have tried the same page using Safari and it is perfectly OK and works properly. It is also OK using Firefox on our MBP 13.

I have tried shutting and restarting Firefox and also have done a reboot. Still the same. Nothing has been changed on the system and this has just suddenly appeared.

I am also asking the same question on the Firefox forum and so far I have been directed to do bits in 'Terminal'. I don't like fiddeling with THAT and as it is so specific I can't really see how that would help? Me being thick again I suppose?

Any ideas please folks?
    John.
    Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
    http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
    MBP and iMac on High Sierra.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    John,

Haven't an answer; but what Mac does your wife have?

You've told us that AOK on your MBP 13, Safari or Firefox.

I'm wondering if her version of FF is not the latest and also would like to know if Safari works for her?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    It seems like there is a different setting (Preferences) on both Macs? You should compare then side by side, if possible.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD
    SWMBO /we have a late 2009 iMac 21 1/2 running 10.13.6. The MBP 13 is mid 2010. Both are running the same OS and both are on the latest Firefox. The MBP is fine on both Firefox and Safari and the iMac is fine just on Safari. It is only that one part of the BBC News web site that's giving the problem, only on the iMac and only on Firefox.

If you look at the BBC web page the red bar across the top reads 'Home' 'UK' 'World' 'Business' etc. By clicking on any of them bar the 'Home' link I get the message in my original post showing the failure. The 'Home' link takes me back to the 'Home' page every time. Also, if I click on any of the selections beneath the 'Home' link it will connect straight away.

It's only certain buttons/links that are not operating. And only on our iMac. I will see if I can put the 2 side by side and do a comparason this afternoon, but with the builders just the other side of the room I am in it could be interesting
    John.

I'm using a 2012 Mac Mini with El Capitan and FF 67.0.4, not the latest which is 68.0

I look at the BBC news every day and all those links from the red bar you mentioned work perfectly for me.

But I'm always a bit leery updating FF right away - I have had my surprises in the past where a later issue of FF breaks things that worked fine before.
    I would try Waterfox to see if that works - if it does, then I assume it's another FF screw-up.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have just done the up to 68 and it's still the same as when on 67.

It is very specific and now just seems to fail on the 'Business' and 'Sport' links. But if I click on a headline on the 'Home' page that is in the business section it is OK and goes directly to it.

I have just had a look at Waterfox and it looks very interesting. will it run on a late 2009 iMac and a mid 2010 MBP13 though? The iMac model identifier is Mac10,1 and processor name Intel Core 2 Due 3.08 GHz
    John.

The software, ie macOS will be the main determining factor if Waterfox will run on your Mac, not the hardware, although the Mac must have an Intel CPU - any Intel CPU will do.
    As to software, Waterfox needs Lion, ie 10.7 and up.

Your Mac's Specs
    I wasn't sure if it was to do with a 64 bit processor?

We are running 10.13.6 so that will doooo. I'll have a gander at that, thank you.

Edit : - Waterfox now downloaded and running AND working fully on The BBC News site. So a very BIG thank you to all who helped and especially to Krs for mentioning Waterfox. I had never heard of it before..
    Last edited by Jonzjob; 07-11-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    John.

Your Mac's Specs
    Right, now that I am playing with Waterfox (it looks the same as Firefox) I have been searching to find out how I direct the links in Mail to it instead of going onto Firefox?

Could anyone let me know how I can do this please? I'll be 3/4 of the way to my telegramme from the Queen tomorrow and it's all getting a bit too much these daze
    John.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I can only say “happy 75th” when it comes. And I sure as anything understand just how frustrating and exhausting modern digital systems are to we senior citizens!!

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you Ian. Off to Old Sarum tomorrow as a b/day treat to have a look at some of the stuff I used to work on as a ellyky. Should be fun?

Something else that I find frustraring is having to sign in to this forum every time I come back to it even although I click on the remember me bit. Perhapse the forum is getting as forgetful as me
    John.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post
    Right, now that I am playing with Waterfox (it looks the same as Firefox) I have been searching to find out how I direct the links in Mail to it instead of going onto Firefox?

Could anyone let me know how I can do this please? I'll be 3/4 of the way to my telegramme from the Queen tomorrow and it's all getting a bit too much these daze
    What is selected in System Preferences > General for "Default Web Browser"?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post
    Something else that I find frustraring is having to sign in to this forum every time I come back to it even although I click on the remember me bit. Perhapse the forum is getting as forgetful as me
    A few of us had that problem a while back with Firefox.

Maybe using Waterfox as your default browser will solve that if you launch the forum in Waterfox and click "Remember Me"

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't think "remember me" includes the password, just the login name. Safari has capability to store passwords, so it logs me in automatically, but I don't know about the **fox variants.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I don't think "remember me" includes the password, just the login name. Safari has capability to store passwords, so it logs me in automatically, but I don't know about the **fox variants.
    Works the same way as FireFox - after one signs in with user name and password, Waterfox will ask you if you wish to save both for future login.

Also, when you launch Waterfox, it will also come up with a message saying Waterfox is not your default browser, would you like to make it that or not.
    Pretty much exactly like FireFox or anyother browser that is not your default.

I use Waterfox to get features back that I use and that FireFox broke when going to Quantum.
    Maybe I should just switch to Waterfox permanently

Thread Information