Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Home Internet is Really Slow - New Developement
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You can not use an AE effectively with the router provided by Frontier. Their routers are specially designed to accommodate the FIOS system.
    Charlie, can I ask why that would be? The reason I ask is that normally the AE would be on the "inside" of the FIOS modem/router, using the Ethernet connection from the FIOS router to the AE, then the AE becomes the DHCP server, assuming that the FIOS router is, in fact, in bridge mode. Once the connection is converted from the FIOS multiplex signal, what difference does it make what WiFi router is attached to the Ethernet port of the modem? I can't think of a technical reason for that at all. Ethernet is Ethernet and DHCP is DHCP.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Placing the FIOS router in bridge mode causes it to stop sending the controlling signal to the cable box which in turn kills the TV menu signal. You wind up with no TV menu and internet slowdowns.

The older FIOS type routers supplied by Verizon had 4 ethernet connections. It was possible to connect as you state, however, these new routers have one input ethernet connection and one master cable connection. Both are being used by the network. I'm not sure I could connect my iMac by ethernet. I would have to ask Frontier how to do it.

This newer router is an Arris, the older ones were made by ActionTech and had two antennas. The Arris has no antenna.
    Last edited by chscag; 07-21-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Wow, that's a real bad design defect! Whoever engineered that should be fired. Glad I don't have FIOS in my area, I might have been suckered in.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Yeah, it really is a bad design. The Frontier tech who came out and installed this latest equipment was not thrilled with it either. (He used to work for Verizon) He was also a Mac guy and understood about using macOS and security in general. We both agreed not to install all the extra Frontier security junk and their "delux cable box".

My up and down speeds are 150/150 which is more than enough for me. Spectrum is offering 400/400 for less than what I'm paying and they provide around the same amount of viewing/music channels that Frontier does.

Your Mac's Specs
    I'd like better upload speed than I get from Xfinity. I get 300 down, but only 12 up. Xfinity has not gone the full duplex route as Verizon and others have done. Here there is no competition, so there is no pressure on them to change. The city council is considering allowing a competitor to install fiber optic, but that is not going to be in place until 2022, at the earliest. Oh, well.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks Jake...just reread post #23...and OP did mention it. I lost it in the middle of all that text.

Thanks,
    - Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    My apologies Drewber...I missed this but of info in your last post. Thanks for looking it up & posting.

- Nick

Ditto.

I also didn't see the forrest due to all the trees I guess.

- Patrick
    ======

The city council is considering allowing a competitor to install fiber optic,

Hmmm... I think i'd be smelling politics and possible graft at that point and I thought all the US prided themselves on their great Capitalism.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, it is considered to be a utility, so it's regulated by the government, just like our electricity and natural gas. Right now, Xfinity (Comcast) has a monopoly on that utility in the city, but so many people are unhappy with them, the city is entertaining having a competitor put in the fiber that Xfinity is not inclined to do. If it happens, competition is good. If Xfinity moves to put in fiber to pre-empt losing the monopoly, that's ok, too. The idea is to get better infrastructure one way or the other. The potential competitor provides fiber optic to the entire county that surrounds the city, so they are a natural candidate to move into the city.

The whole conversation is taking place in the open, through city council meetings and in the local newspaper. I live beside one city councilor and one planning commission member, so I know what is being talked about. It's all good. Trust me, capitalism is at work. No need for smirk emojis.
    Jake

Patrick, it is considered to be a utility, so it's regulated by the government, just like our electricity and natural gas

OK, and thanks for the info Jake. It seems rather interesting the way some things are done down there and it's hard to know sometimes just from reading or listening to some of the news.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Not really hard, Patrick. Some things it makes sense to have a monopoly for provision. You don't need two or more sets of gas pipes, or power lines, etc., to provide the service in a city. In fact, you probably want to avoid just that. So the government allows a monopoly, but regulates that monopoly to control prices and service standards. So a while back, before we moved to the city, it was decided to allow Comcast a monopoly for cable and internet service, in return for which they installed the infrastructure throughout the city to serve all citizens equally. That monopoly was guaranteed for a minimum time so that Comcast could recover the expenses of the buildout and not have to have exorbitant rates for the users to do so. Now that period has expired and the folks who provide fiber in the surrounding county want to have access to put in fiber throughout the entire city to compete with Xfinity (Comcast). They need permission to go under city streets and use easements to the property in the city for the fiber. And that is what is under discussion: Do we end the monopoly and allow competition, or will Xfinity step up to improving the infrastructure in return for an extension of the monopoly?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewber View Post
    At home, I use the modem from the company and an Airport. Lately, it is really slow or won't connect, at all on devices. I often need several tries to get my iPhone and iPad to work on wifi. I will often turn off wifi and start over or turn the device off and start over.
    Referencing back to OP's first post...OP's setup seems very similar to a setup I used to have (ISP modem + AE):

At one point a few years ago when I was using my Time Machine as my WiFi router...I had Time Warner (now Spectrum I believe) for internet/cable TV. I was using Time Warners Cable modem...and was using the Time Machine as my WiFi router (wasn't using any Time Warner WiFi router).

If OP has an ISP modem & Apple AE...the first thing to do would be to reboot both. If the WiFi speed is still slow after rebooting both...then very possible the ISP modem is bad or the Apple AE is bad.

ISP shouldn't have to much of a problem replacing the modem...thus I would suggest getting a replacement ISP modem. Then test the new ISP modem + Apple AE. If WiFi speed is still slow...then I would say the Apple AE is bad...and time to purchase a replacement WiFi router...OR...get a WiFi router from the ISP (I'm sure they have them).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. For anyone that doesn't know...Apple's Time Machine is a wireless hard drive & WiFi router in one unit.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Yeah, it really is a bad design. The Frontier tech who came out and installed this latest equipment was not thrilled with it either. (He used to work for Verizon) He was also a Mac guy and understood about using macOS and security in general. We both agreed not to install all the extra Frontier security junk and their "delux cable box".

My up and down speeds are 150/150 which is more than enough for me. Spectrum is offering 400/400 for less than what I'm paying and they provide around the same amount of viewing/music channels that Frontier does.
    Charlie, I wonder if it would work if you leave the FIOS modem/router in normal mode so that you get the communication it needs, but then set DHCP to not issue ANY numbers at all. Then set the AE to have DHCP, give it a second name and then connect everything to that device. It's a kludge, but hey, if it works, it works.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    OK, and thanks for the info Jake. It seems rather interesting the way some things are done down there and it's hard to know sometimes just from reading or listening to some of the news.

- Patrick
    ======
    This is true. Most news organiations are decidedly biased in their coverage. If you listen carefully some things that should get reported as fcts have other snide comments added which add the reporter's oinion.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Not really hard, Patrick. Some things it makes sense to have a monopoly for provision. You don't need two or more sets of gas pipes, or power lines, etc., to provide the service in a city. In fact, you probably want to avoid just that. So the government allows a monopoly, but regulates that monopoly to control prices and service standards.
    FWIW, we live in a pretty rural country area, so we are not on The Cutting Edge of communication technology, but basically the two main internet and landline telephone suppliers in our specific area both have their copper and fiber optic cables hung on the same shared poles (or underground in some places) and they both support some other third-party companies that piggy back on their services, any of which can supply ASDL or Cable Internet connection services, digital and/or analog telephone and various TV and other services.

The customer then decides which services or bundles they want and at what speeds Etc... It works pretty well and there's something for everybody and the companies compete among themselves to improve their services and pricing which is a good thing for the customer. Not much government involvement is needed at all now that the Canadian federal government's CRTC Communications Department changed a lot of their rules some years ago.

It works pretty well for us except the prices still seem to be way too high, but it's still quite in line or much better compared to a lot of rural/country places in the US.

Both companies added fiber optics to their bundled lines within the year or so that are suspended from their poles right in front of our house as the roadway there acts as a main thoroughfare for communication and power lines.

We have a bundle package with the main Cable company for Internet, digital Telephone and TV but I don't know if any of it is connected to their fiber optic or not. Anyway it's all fast enough for us.

- Patrick
    ======

If you listen carefully some things that should get reported as fcts have other snide comments added which add the reporter's oinion.

We have almost given up on listening to the main media news networks mainly due to lousy and inaccurate reporting and especially as you say due to the "reporter's oinion". There's just way too much of that, and it seems it's highly contagious as well!!

Say there's an idea, let's just call it reporters onion. Isn't there some spoofing news site called the onion or something. If not there should be!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information