Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Using iPhone to run iPad

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
    Using iPhone to run iPad
    Is there a way to use my iPhone 8+ to connect my iPad Air 2 to the internet via my iPhone. Going on a trip and am leery of public Wi-Fi.

Pete

Using iPhone to run iPad
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I know it used to work with iOS 10 or 11, but I'm not sure about newer versions of iOS. You could also use your providers Personal Hotspot service as a local Wi-Fi network? It is an additional fee.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Using iPhone to run iPad
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates Jr. View Post
    Is there a way to use my iPhone 8+ to connect my iPad Air 2 to the internet via my iPhone. Going on a trip and am leery of public Wi-Fi.

Pete
    You can use your iPhone as a hot spot as Bob indicated, however, all you really need to do is use a VPN and go on public WiFi. The VPN will protect you. (There are free VPNs.)

Using iPhone to run iPad

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
    Okay...just looked up VPN. Virtual Private Network. Learn something new every day.
    So basically, will the VPN allow me to use my tablet, via another Wi-Fi source, as if I was using my home WI-Fi source?
    Will I have to know my home network name to set up the VPN? Do I have to know the name of the other WI-Fi source to set this up?
    Can I set up the VPN prior to travel even if I don't know the name of the WI-FI source?
    Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.

Pete

Using iPhone to run iPad
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Pete

A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is essential if connecting to the Internet from a cafe, train, bus, airport, hotel or similar, because these are unprotected networks and naughty people can eavesdrop on your communications, steal your passwords and generally create havoc.

Of course this doesn't happen every day in every situation; but certainly often enough to demand the extra security of a VPN.

My advice would be to avoid "free" VPNs and go for one of the top ten VPNs for which you have to pay.

This may help you: Popular VPNs Compared | Other World Computing Blog

In answer to your questions: You can use a VPN on any device that communicates with the Internet - Macs, iPhones, iPads.

Once you purchase a VPN, an app bearing that name will be on all your devices. You don't need to worry about your home Wi-Fi, your travel arrangements. Once activated, you can select where in the world you want to be from the list of sites provided by the VPN app.

All you really need to know - certainly at the beginning - is that it disguises your ISP address and identity.

And please don't feel embarrassed at asking these questions. Not only are we here for that purpose; but most of us started out in a similar situation to you.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information