Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

My Airport Extreme and Airport Express
    I have an Airport Extreme I bought in 2015 and an Airport Express I bought in 2016. I checked firmware on both and they are: 7.7.9 and 7.8 respectively. Everything is working fine but I’m wondering if there’s a point at which a router should be replaced with a more up-to-date product with advanced/higher security; perhaps a mesh network. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mike

Apple got out of the router business a couple years back, so I wouldn't expect any updates to the firmware or hardware anytime soon. I also have the same combo of routers and have been using them since about 2012. With the various devices I have in my house (all wireless), I haven't had any issues with performance or anything. So I haven't felt a need to upgrade to a newer router as of yet.

I imagine that I'm getting pretty close to the device limit and might upgrade just to get better coverage in the house at some point.

Generally, if things are working well for you right now, there is no need to upgrade. From a security perspective, ensure you have a password that isn't easy to guess and you are going to be generally OK.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Hi Mike - I've had an Airpot Extreme since 2013 (the older flat one) which seems to still be working fine - using WPA2, so agree w/ Ashwin, i.e. 'if it aint' broken' - I do stream HD video from mainly Amazon & Netflix and have not had a problem - now, if the router stops working or a security issue arises, then I'd obtain a new one and have been reading about the 'mesh' technology (and prices are dropping). Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thank you for replying. I knew that Apple got out of the router business a couple years back and I do have a password that isn't easy to guess. My questions came about because a friends Airport Extreme stopped working and he got the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System, here'e the link: AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

– Amplifi Wi-Fi

I guess it's one of those things that: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannheim62 View Post
    Thank you for replying. I knew that Apple got out of the router business a couple years back and I do have a password that isn't easy to guess. My questions came about because a friends Airport Extreme stopped working and he got the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System, here'e the link: AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System– Amplifi Wi-Fi
    I guess it's one of those things that: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Thanks again,
    Hi again Mike - over the last year or so, I've been looking the the 'mesh' routing offerings - many brands now available at varying (and expensive) cost - below a chart from Amazon - the AmpliFi seems highly recommended (and @ a steep price) - I've been mainly reading about the Netgear and eero systems - again, when I do need a replacement, will definitely go w/ the 'mesh' option. Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.00.25 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for replying. I do have WPA2 Personal set on my router. Like I said earlier, a friend got the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System and he hasn't shut up about it since. I had been considering either the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System or the TP-Link Deco. I've read a lot of folks are having trouble setting up the Netgear Orbi and I haven't done to much research on the eero. But for now I guess less is more. Mike

Thread Information