Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Overactive broadband

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
    And by the way, on my router the Internet light seems to be flickering most of the time, and so does the WiFi light but slightly less often.

Overactive broadband
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by fielker View Post
    I've downloaded SurplusMeter but when I try to open it it says it can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer!

Help!

David
    Give these directions a try.

BTW for those who may be interested: The fact that an app is form an unidentified developer does not mean something nefarious is going on. There are a number of well-respected, long-time, Mac developers that have software flagged as being from an unidentifed developer.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Overactive broadband
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    Right click the SurplusMeter and open that way. What you are confronting is Apple's security measure Gatekeeper.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Overactive broadband

Your Mac's Specs
    Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage
    I'm having trouble again, as since the start of my month (on the 12th) I've been using around 800 Mb a day.

Now I cannot find how to get to System Preferences>App Store.

I've downloaded SurplusMeter but when I try to open it it says it can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer!

Help!

David
    \\Glad you found the issue though I have yet to come across any of those tools that are truly accurate and reflective of whats going on. A little unrelated but worth mentioning I switched internet service providers recently with the same speed line...I get much better bandwidth with a much lower usage for some reason... maybe somebody could shed light on that.

Overactive broadband
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thank goodness the majority of internet providers here in the US offer unlimited data at a reasonable price. We still have somewhat of a problem with rural residents here in the US in that the service they receive may be more expensive and slower than that of major urban areas.

Overactive broadband

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't know if it's relevant, but:

1. After downloading SurplusMeter yesterday I restarted, and then wake-up from sleep went back to taking about 10 seconds instead of coming on almost immediately;

2. Loading recently has been very slow, both loading websites, and opening files such as Pages and Numbers if I haven't just used them.

David

Overactive broadband

Your Mac's Specs
    Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Thank goodness the majority of internet providers here in the US offer unlimited data at a reasonable price. We still have somewhat of a problem with rural residents here in the US in that the service they receive may be more expensive and slower than that of major urban areas.
    You guys are lucky. If im not mistaken you have multiple service providers right? Here in SA even we have one service provider that controls everything. This means there is a massive monopoly and its a state owned entity meaning they literally do whatever they like. Bad service , internet cut, prices way too high for your internet? too bad where else are you going to go.

Being state owned there is mass amount of corruption within it too and any competition is simply wiped away by tax payers money.

Rocky97
    What web browser do you use? Assuming you use Safari, you can disale automatic downloads into the Downloads folder by going into:
    Preferences -> General-> dropdown in File download location, click ask for each download.

Also do not underestimate the hunger of the data whatsapp , facebook and the likes using. When i was abroad in the EU years go, i paid for 1MB, got used up within 5 minutes of simple whatsapp texts (and facebook status updates received etc). Considering this, 100MB is not a lot of data. Especially if youre in a lot of group chats. Have you been getting a lot of notifications/messages lately? It all adds up, surprisingly, i learnt the hard way...

Overactive broadband

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks, Rocky97. I've done that; we'll see what happens.

David

Overactive broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky97 View Post
    What web browser do you use? Assuming you use Safari, you can disale automatic downloads into the Downloads folder by going into:
    Preferences -> General-> dropdown in File download location, click ask for each download.

Also do not underestimate the hunger of the data whatsapp , facebook and the likes using. When i was abroad in the EU years go, i paid for 1MB, got used up within 5 minutes of simple whatsapp texts (and facebook status updates received etc). Considering this, 100MB is not a lot of data. Especially if youre in a lot of group chats. Have you been getting a lot of notifications/messages lately? It all adds up, surprisingly, i learnt the hard way...
    This has nothing to do with anything. This setting purely controls where the files you manually download will go to. By default, most of us want it to be the Downloads folder. Changing this to Ask basically gives you a folder prompt for every download and that's going to get old quick.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Overactive broadband
    I don't know if it's relevant, but:

1. After downloading SurplusMeter yesterday I restarted, and then wake-up from sleep went back to taking about 10 seconds instead of coming on almost immediately;

2. Loading recently has been very slow, both loading websites, and opening files such as Pages and Numbers if I haven't just used them.

David
    The installation of SurplusMeter shouldn't adversely affect the wake time. As far as slow down of your Internet connection goes, depending on how the app is monitoring your connection, that might have a small impact but I can't imagine it's big enough for you to notice a perceptible slow down.

At the end of the day, if you are really into your available capacity, your ONLY recourse might be to unplug Ethernet (turn off WiFi) when you don't specifically intend to use the Internet. Once you do connect, realize that a lot of apps will try to catch up (depending on what's running) and you will have similar issues.

As others have mentioned, all the systems/apps are moving toward a world of unlimited fast Internet with little to no constraints and working within that world is going to get harder and harder.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information