Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This article refers to something that Lisa alluded to - logging into the mac from the pc.

The article is for Win10 and I am using Win7, but it states "Click Start > File Explorer > Network. Double-click the Mac icon, and then log in."

I don't understand this because I have never performed a login to the mac from the pc - nor have I been prompted to. I also have never logged into the older mac (the one I can connect to) either. So I'm not sure what this means.

PC Does Not Recognize Mac on Network
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I think this is the difference between the two Mac OS versions. The older version, Snow Leopard (10.6) did not need to be logged in from the Windows PC, but, and I believe this is new with El Capitan (10.11), requires the Mac user and password for login. I haven’t used it since Snow Leopard/Lion, so I can’t confirm this.

You have two Macs, do you have the same users and passwords on both Macs?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    I don't log into the mac from the PC by clicking on the mac icon in the network screen. My mac does not even show up on the network because it is not part of active directory. I will say my username and password on both my mac and pc are the same. The login from the PC to the mac occurs when mapping the drive. When the window opens for mapping there is a section that says to input "connect using different credentials". That is were you would input the username and password for the mac IF it is different from the ones used on the PC.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

The admin user and pw is the same on both macs, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    I don't log into the mac from the PC by clicking on the mac icon in the network screen. My mac does not even show up on the network because it is not part of active directory. I will say my username and password on both my mac and pc are the same. The login from the PC to the mac occurs when mapping the drive. When the window opens for mapping there is a section that says to input "connect using different credentials". That is were you would input the username and password for the mac IF it is different from the ones used on the PC.

Lisa
    The admin name on the pc is different than on the macs.

Hey a bit of success here!!

I never get the prompt to log into the mac, so I did some more reading. I found an article that said there are 2 ways to connect. One is via explorer, which is what I had been doing. The other way is to type \\ip-address from the windows run prompt. So I tried this and the dialog box popped up asking for the userid and password.

I entered them and I'm in!!

However when I run my app I still get the "Windows cannot access..." error. Baby steps..

Well I am able to function by accessing the mac from the pc's "start" button command line. But I still cannot access it from windows explorer. This causes me to do things differently, but fortunately I can drag files into my app until I can figure out the rest. Obviously this is some kind of windows issue.

I just wanted to jump back in and thank u guys for helping me in sorting this out. As usual (in my experience) the mac just "works", while the windows machine is being a bit of a struggle.

Thanks again.

Your Mac's Specs
    The only difference between your situation and mine, besides being on a Windows server network, is I run Windows 10 and High Sierra and you are using W7 and El Capitan. I did share when I had W7 and Sierra too. Maybe something is different.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Lisa when u were using Win7, do you recall being able to access the mac from windows explorer?

Your Mac's Specs
    I was trying to remember. I do have a computer I am working on now for work. I will do an experiment and try seeing if I can share from the W7 machine to my Mac Pro. I have my logon being used on both - I am the SysAdmin so I have it available on all the work computers for when (not if) they mess up their computer. I will post back with what I find out.

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    Okay - did map a network drive from my Mac Pro to a W7. One difference I found was I could not do it using the recommended name on the share page that appears under Computer Name which worked fine on W10. On the W7 Map a Network drive page I did not put in the name manually but clicked browse and selected my Mac Pro and the drive I wanted. That worked and I had access.

I am running High Sierra on my Mac Pro and I don't have any idea if that makes a difference.

Lisa

I had not done it before, but from explorer I used Tools > Map network drive - and I was able to assign the mac a drive letter from the pc. Neither of these ways is like it was linking to the old mac, but they work.

Thanks again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Glad you finally found a way that worked.

Lisa

Thread Information