Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Is My Built-In Ethernet Dead?
    I'm running a 2GHz PPC G5, OS X.4.11

Suddenly, I have no Internet connectivity. I called my ISP and they confirmed that the issue is not with their service or the modem. I have also confirmed that the connections and ethernet cable are okay.

The built-in ethernet is self-assigning an IP address (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) and no amount of disconnecting/rebooting (modem, computer) has solved the problem.

If I use a wireless router, I'm able to connect to the Internet. If I connect my iMac directly to the router, I cannot contact the router.

Can I officially perform last rites on my built-in ethernet, or should I continue troubleshooting? If so, how?

Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    A couple things to try.

It's possible it could be just a corrupt preference file. Look for the systemconfigurations/networkinterfaces.plist in your home folder~ library/preferences/ and delete it. You may need to restart afterwards. (and recheck your settings too.)

Try the Apple Hardware test. If it's gone south, it should tell you.
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

@Soulwar - Thanks for the input. I deleted the networkinterfaces.plist file as you suggested, but it didn't resolve the problem.

As far as the Apple Hardware Test, my computer freezes when I try to run the test.

Argh. I think it's fried.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I have found it very rare when a Network chip dies but it does happen. I am shocked the hardware test will not run. That would for sure tell you if the NIC was dead or not. I agree with all the advice Soulwar gave.

When you plug in a cable from the Mac to your Router, does a status light light up for that port on the router?

@dtravis7 - When I plug the cable from the Mac into the router, the port light does come on. However, if I connect the Mac to the router directly and attempt to connect to the router, I get nothing.

It's frustrating that the Hardware Test will not complete, but I've tried several times and it continues to freeze after verifying that Airport is working properly.

Help! Is My Entire Mac Melting Down?
    Regardless of how many times I run the Apple Hardware Test (quick or extended), it freezes at approximately 2 min 13 sec every time.

Now, in addition to having a non-working NIC, my system seems sluggish and my mouse is sticking and skipping around the screen when I use it.

Should I be concerned that there is something seriously wrong? Are there any additional ways to troubleshoot this?

Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    are you booting off the restore CD and running the test?
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Mike,

Yeah, booting from the iMac G5 Mac OS X Install Disc 1 (that came with the computer).

Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    IIRC you can also run pings from that boot. If the if is grabbing a valid IP and can ping out, that would confirm the device is good.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thanks. Not sure how to do that, though.

Are there any other diagnostics I should perform considering that my system continues to be sluggish and flaky? My problems began with the ethernet connection but it really seems like the overall performance of the computer is compromised. I'm not sure how to proceed.

I can barely navigate with the mouse because it continues to jump around the screen

Did you ever figured out what the problem was and did you fix it? I'd truly appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    One option if the Ethernet port has died is to install a PCI card.

Sonnet Online Store

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    Have you checked the system log just to see if there are any entries that could shed some light on the ethernet port, as well as your other system problems?

Also, have you tried other ports on the router? Also check the pins in the ethernet socket on your Mac, make sure none are bent/touching or something in there bridging a connection between the pins.

Your Mac's Specs
    Dual 2.5GHZ Power PC G5, 4.5 GB SDRAM big drives on RAID array
    Reset Ethernet via CYD switch (PMU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshalo View Post
    I'm running a 2GHz PPC G5, OS X.4.11

Suddenly, I have no Internet connectivity. I called my ISP and they confirmed that the issue is not with their service or the modem. I have also confirmed that the connections and ethernet cable are okay.

The built-in ethernet is self-assigning an IP address (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) and no amount of disconnecting/rebooting (modem, computer) has solved the problem.

If I use a wireless router, I'm able to connect to the Internet. If I connect my iMac directly to the router, I cannot contact the router.

Can I officially perform last rites on my built-in ethernet, or should I continue troubleshooting? If so, how?

Thanks!
    This is what worked for me when I had the same issue almost consistent with major system updates.

I opened the machine and pressed the PMU button for about 6 seconds. That did the trick for me.

Another suggestion is to swap the ethernet card to rule out any other possibility than yours being broken. Even then you could install the non working card into the swapped machine and start up and check if the malfunction is consistent on both machines.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information