How do I find old Aperture files to extract to new Macbook Pro?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    I updated to a new MacBook Pro 16 inch MacOS Catalina. I still have files from my old Adobe Aperture app that ran on my iMac 2011 Mac Sierra computer.
    What steps should I take to

1: Find the old Apple Aperture files?
    2: Extract those old Aperture files?

Thanks

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    May I just clarify something, please.

If you're talking about the Aperture app, it has nothing to do with Adobe. It was, and is on older Operating Systems, an Apple product. If you are truly talking about an Adobe product, it must be under another name. So, we need to be clear on that point.

On the assumption that you meant Apple's Aperture app, it is 32 bit and will not work with macOS Catalina. This was announced well over a year ago when users were advised about all 32 bit apps. In the case of Aperture, users were advised to import it into Photos app as a separate library - which I did. It was relatively easy to do. The trickiest part was preserving all the metadata. Apple support guided me through the process.

As you appear to have Aperture running on an iMac, you can upgrade as far as Mojave (if the iMac will take it) without any loss of function. Or you can stick with macOS Sierra.

Whatever you do, you can't "Extract" the "old" files and get them to work on macOS Catalina.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    There is an APP on the APP Store (it used a Flour Sifter for an icon, Silent Sifter as I recall).

Way simple to use, you drag and drop the Aperture library package into the APP and it spits out your photos. I used it several years ago when I transitioned to Lightroom. That was several years ago, so I have no idea how it works today.

Vector 15 – Moving from Aperture to a Simple Folder Structure
    Last edited by RavingMac; 01-17-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A very nice find, RavingMac. And it may well serve the needs of the OP. It is 64 bit so should work with macOS Catalina.

It certainly wouldn't help me, but then I used Aperture in a very different way from most folks, I guess.

My entire library is of medical imaging, based on disease, category, presentation, key findings etc. One single case might have 3, 4 or more subcategories as the imaging proceeded.

Silent Sifter would arrange all the images by date which would be useless for me as the date of my cases is irrelevant - and I'd lose most/all of the carefully added metadata for each case and its subcategories.

It is possible to retain the entire library structure as it currently is when importing into a new library in Photos app. I did have help from Apple Support who guided me through the process.

Nonetheless, your find is likely to be beneficial to most people and thank you for your diligent research.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    There is an APP on the APP Store (it used a Flour Sifter for an icon, Silent Sifter as I recall).

Way simple to use, you drag and drop the Aperture library package into the APP and it spits out your photos. I used it several years ago when I transitioned to Lightroom. That was several years ago, so I have no idea how it works today.

Vector 15 – Moving from Aperture to a Simple Folder Structure
    Thank you for this suggestion. I appreciate it.

Thread Information