Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Syncing iPhone photos to Windows
    Hi all, for a while I was using iCloud sync between my iPhone XS and a MBP. Recently switched to Windows, however importing photos is a pain - when I use the file browser or Windows Photos (i.e. MTP), it works for a while and then throws errors about the device being unavailable. (I don't know if this is because the phone's saving as HEIC, and then converting to JPG as it imports?) I've tried different cables to no avail. iCloud photo sync is a lot clunkier than on the Mac, plus it's a huge download. Getting photos off my $1150 phone, in 2019, has proven FAR more difficult than pulling the SD card out of my camera in 2005.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Hi there!

Yes, I've tried that, and the Photos app kept failing as well. Seems like the phone itself is disconnecting randomly, particularly when I try to transfer a lot at once. Both the Photos app and Windows Explorer are running an MTP connection, if I'm not mistaken. (I also recently reset the entire phone to solve another issue, for what it's worth.)

I've also tried different USB ports on my computer, and different cables. Only explanation I can see is that either the software is buggy, or my lightning port may be loose? (Charges fine and ran an iTunes backup fine though?)

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Download the iMazing 2 app for Windows and use it to do the transfer. Much easier than what you're trying to do. Let us know if that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Download the iMazing 2 app for Windows and use it to do the transfer. Much easier than what you're trying to do. Let us know if that works for you.
    I grabbed the trial and so far I love it! Clearly intended for power users, I can control things like HEIC/JPG importing, and it works with regular 'ol folders instead of a proprietary library. And it'll tell me a bunch of technical stats including my battery cycle count. Consider me sold.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Great. Glad to hear it's working for you. iMazing has been on sale here lately so maybe you can get it at a good discount. Shop around.

Thread Information