Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Better Photos App for organizing
    All,
    Looking for a better Photo app other than IPhoto:

Features that Iphoto has that I'd like to get rid of:
    Storing and original photo after the photo has been put in an album. Want the ONLY copy of the photo in the album. That way it's much easier to organize new photos as they are added. THIS IS MY BIGGEST PET PEVEE.... so every photo is still my camera roll, and horribly hard to manage.
    A really easy way to down load all photos to my Mac (perhaps automatically), where I'd store the original. So, any photo deleted accidentley on the Iphone wouldn't be lost.
    A way to mass delete photos, like 1000 or more, without clicking each one.

Thoughts?
    Searay
    Iphone 6, Mac OS El Capitan

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I have a few thoughts. Whether they help you or not is another matter.

I don't recall exactly when Photos replaced iPhoto, but Photos is a much enhanced version of its predecessor.

That said, you have the same problem - if a problem it really is. Albums contain "links" to photos and are NOT copies. The Album therefore cannot "store" the only version of a photo - the original is always in the main body of iPhoto/Photos app.

But the fact that the Album is NOT a copy means that are not duplicating the image and not taking up any more space on your Mac.

You can delete an image from an Album without detriment, but if you delete an image from the iPhoto/Photos main database, it is gone from there and the link to the Album is gone to.

There is at least one way of dealing with your issue. Use Image Capture to move images from your camera or iDevice to any place on your Mac that you wish.

Then create Albums ( actually a Folder) and move the original image into that Album/Folder. That way, you can organise your image library in any way you want - keeping all your images in dedicated Albums/Folders.
    You can even move these Album/Folders into more Folders.

Think of it this way - it's just like a document. You can move a document into a Folder and move that Folder into another Folder, and so on.

For example: you could put your holiday images into Folders marked 2015, 2016, 2017, etc and move all these Folders into one Folder simply called Holidays.

How would that suit you? You would backup your photo Folders like anything else via Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), or SuperDuper! (SD!) for example.

As for the pictures on your iPhone, you could back them up separately to iCloud (or to a third party like iMazing 2).

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Second Ian's suggestions.

I feel you haven't got the hang of how Photos works, or how Photos and other Apple devices work together. I started from scratch in 2011 with a MBP, sorting images into albums and folders in iPhotos straight away and these transferred seemlessly to Photos and a new MBP. There is NO duplication, however many folders you copy images into.

Buying my first iPad, then iPhone, I set up PhotoStream which automatically syncs to all Apple devices via wifi, with the master storage being on the MBP. I can delete photos on the phone or ipad without losing them on the Mac. Go to icloud, disable cloud storage and enable PhotoStream on all devices. The word from the Apple tree: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

Deleting images - how would the system know what you didn't want unless you selected them? You could select individually, but if there is a group you "highlight one, hold down the Cmd key and drag the curser through all the photos you want to delete". Release key and delete, OR scroll down to find others and repeat from " to ". It's the same process on iphone and ipad. In case you have second thoughts, Apple retains the deletions in 'Recently Deleted' for 30 days, after which they are permanently gone.

If you are concerned about true duplicates, there are free and cheap apps (Photosweeper £9.99) which will search and identify duplicates.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I have a few thoughts. Whether they help you or not is another matter.

I don't recall exactly when Photos replaced iPhoto, but Photos is a much enhanced version of its predecessor.

That said, you have the same problem - if a problem it really is. Albums contain "links" to photos and are NOT copies. The Album therefore cannot "store" the only version of a photo - the original is always in the main body of iPhoto/Photos app.

But the fact that the Album is NOT a copy means that are not duplicating the image and not taking up any more space on your Mac.

You can delete an image from an Album without detriment, but if you delete an image from the iPhoto/Photos main database, it is gone from there and the link to the Album is gone to.

There is at least one way of dealing with your issue. Use Image Capture to move images from your camera or iDevice to any place on your Mac that you wish.

Then create Albums ( actually a Folder) and move the original image into that Album/Folder. That way, you can organise your image library in any way you want - keeping all your images in dedicated Albums/Folders.
    You can even move these Album/Folders into more Folders.

Think of it this way - it's just like a document. You can move a document into a Folder and move that Folder into another Folder, and so on.

For example: you could put your holiday images into Folders marked 2015, 2016, 2017, etc and move all these Folders into one Folder simply called Holidays.

How would that suit you? You would backup your photo Folders like anything else via Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), or SuperDuper! (SD!) for example.

As for the pictures on your iPhone, you could back them up separately to iCloud (or to a third party like iMazing 2).

Ian
    Thanks Ian,

What I really don't want: An image in my Camera Roll that is the same as an image in an Album. The issue is that I've got several thousand images in my Camera Roll and there's just no way to keep that straight. There are many of them that I just don't want to put into an Album and will refer back to them occasionally and eventually delete them. But trying to sort thru over a thousand just doesn't work.

Sure, I download all of them to my computer for sorting. But I wish to keep some albums on the phone to show folks and there are a few albums that I really don't want everyone thumbing through, so I don't want those photos on my Camera Roll.

That's why I'm looking for another app.

Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Second Ian's suggestions.

I feel you haven't got the hang of how Photos works, or how Photos and other Apple devices work together. I started from scratch in 2011 with a MBP, sorting images into albums and folders in iPhotos straight away and these transferred seemlessly to Photos and a new MBP. There is NO duplication, however many folders you copy images into.

Buying my first iPad, then iPhone, I set up PhotoStream which automatically syncs to all Apple devices via wifi, with the master storage being on the MBP. I can delete photos on the phone or ipad without losing them on the Mac. Go to icloud, disable cloud storage and enable PhotoStream on all devices. The word from the Apple tree: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

Deleting images - how would the system know what you didn't want unless you selected them? You could select individually, but if there is a group you "highlight one, hold down the Cmd key and drag the curser through all the photos you want to delete". Release key and delete, OR scroll down to find others and repeat from " to ". It's the same process on iphone and ipad. In case you have second thoughts, Apple retains the deletions in 'Recently Deleted' for 30 days, after which they are permanently gone.

If you are concerned about true duplicates, there are free and cheap apps (Photosweeper £9.99) which will search and identify duplicates.
    Susan,

Perhaps I don't understand it. However, I just dont want the same image in an Album as shows up on the Camera Roll (see response above).

BTW, what's a MBP??

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    @SeaRay, MBP = MacBook Pro.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    As of 8am GMT this morning, 14 June 2019, I cannot post to the Forums at all - neither in reply to a post nor as a Personal Message.

I have tried on Safari, FF and Chrome.

Email links open the appropriate page, but anything I type causes the site to revert back to the Home Page.

Kind regards

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    All,
    Looking for a better Photo app other than IPhoto:

Features that Iphoto has that I'd like to get rid of:
    Storing and original photo after the photo has been put in an album. Want the ONLY copy of the photo in the album. That way it's much easier to organize new photos as they are added. THIS IS MY BIGGEST PET PEVEE.... so every photo is still my camera roll, and horribly hard to manage.
    A really easy way to down load all photos to my Mac (perhaps automatically), where I'd store the original. So, any photo deleted accidentley on the Iphone wouldn't be lost.
    A way to mass delete photos, like 1000 or more, without clicking each one.

Thoughts?
    Searay
    Iphone 6, Mac OS El Capitan
    Use Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    What I really don't want: An image in my Camera Roll that is the same as an image in an Album.
    Sorry you've no choice there.

As with your Mac (iPhoto or Photos app), on an iPhone, Cameral Roll is where all your pictures are kept. Any pictures you put in an Album are linked to Camera Roll. You can delete an image from an Album without detriment, but delete an image from Cameral Roll and it is gone completely.

One option is to "Hide" all your Cameral Roll images that you don't want others to see. That's very easy to do.

The other method is to use Image Capture as I described in post #2 and create the exact Folder Structure you desire.

BTW you can delete any images in My Photo Stream provided you don't want them to sync automatically to any other Device - they will remain in Camera Roll.

That's the way it works.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    Use Lightroom.
    Need a photo organizer, not an editor.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Sorry you've no choice there.

As with your Mac (iPhoto or Photos app), on an iPhone, Cameral Roll is where all your pictures are kept. Any pictures you put in an Album are linked to Camera Roll. You can delete an image from an Album without detriment, but delete an image from Cameral Roll and it is gone completely.

One option is to "Hide" all your Cameral Roll images that you don't want others to see. That's very easy to do.

The other method is to use Image Capture as I described in post #2 and create the exact Folder Structure you desire.

BTW you can delete any images in My Photo Stream provided you don't want them to sync automatically to any other Device - they will remain in Camera Roll.

That's the way it works.

Ian
    Thx for the help, but not what I wanted to hear... so a question: How do you hide the camera roll?

And then how do you find a pix you've taken awhile back that you haven't put in an album?

And third, why couldn't I create an album for all my photos that i want to keep and delete what I don't want, and the camera roll would operate in the background.

Now, the vast majority of photos on my camera roll I'd like to dump as they are not needed and not in an album. Is there a way to search the camera roll and find photos that are not in an album?

Thx again for the help, it's appreciated!

Your Mac's Specs
    Can you confirm if you are using iPhoto, or Photos?
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    I didnít think iPhoto worked any more?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    How do you hide the camera roll?

To hide a photo or video, select it, then use the share icon to bring up the share sheet. Scroll through the bottom row of activities until you see "Hide." Tap that, then "Hide Photo" or "Hide Video" to get the job done. To view your hidden media, just open the new "Hidden" folder in the "Albums" tab.

And then how do you find a pix you've taken awhile back that you haven't put in an album?

Naming pix as you go helps but the app will search on relevant words in the search box - put in a key word (like cat, car, box), a location (London, Athens, New York...) or a month and the app will retrieve those which match. You could search in Years or create a smart album with your specific criteria. How to organize photos on Mac: Smart Albums and other tricks

Now, the vast majority of photos on my camera roll I'd like to dump as they are not needed and not in an album. Is there a way to search the camera roll and find photos that are not in an album?

Not on the phone. But you can on your Mac.
    Choose File > New Smart Album.
    Select from criteria > Album, Is Not, Any.
    Name and click OK.

Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 14.20.45.png

Then sort what you don't want.

Loads of useful Photos info here:

Organize and find your photos - Apple Support
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Thread Information