Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Replacement for Print Shop ?

    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    56
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
    Rep Power
    7
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    My wife, a graphic artist, is going to try the switch to Mac. She uses Photo Shop and Print Shop on her windows computer. Photo Shop works on Mac, Print Shop doesn't.
    Please recommend a program that will work as well or better than Print Shop that she can use for her projects. Low cost would be a plus. Computer is a mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks with ten gigs of ram. Please let me know what you would recommend to replace Print Shop with. Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,364
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    I recommend and use iStudio Publisher which you can find in the Mac App Store. I believe it is still only $17.99 and is a great bargain for that price. The program is very similar to Microsoft Publisher which unfortunately is only for Windows. I use iStudio Publisher in our work to publish bulletins.

  3. #3
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,595
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanner50 View Post
    My wife, a graphic artist, is going to try the switch to Mac. She uses Photo Shop and Print Shop on her windows computer. Photo Shop works on Mac, Print Shop doesn't.
    Please recommend a program that will work as well or better than Print Shop that she can use for her projects. Low cost would be a plus. Computer is a mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks with ten gigs of ram. Please let me know what you would recommend to replace Print Shop with. Thank you very much.
    Hello - I would suggest taking a look @ iStudio Publisher - just one thought - good luck! Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  4. #4
    Replacement for Print Shop ?

    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    56
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
    Rep Power
    7
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a program that has clip art that can be used in projects?
    Any replacement for Broderbund (sp) type image/clip art programs that work on the Mac? Thanks.

  5. #5
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,595
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanner50 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a program that has clip art that can be used in projects?
    Any replacement for Broderbund (sp) type image/clip art programs that work on the Mac? Thanks.
    Well, if you are asking whether there is a desktop publishing program for Mac OS that comes w/ its own clip art, I cannot provide an answer - but simply google something similar to 'mac os X clip art' and you will have a number of hits to review.

    Also, visit the iStudio Publisher website and look @ the tabs that I have added arrows in the attachment below - the tutorials are quite good and I'm sure under 'Support' & 'Blog' you can ask questions concerning using 'clip art' in the app. Good luck - Dave
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  6. #6
    Replacement for Print Shop ?

    Member Since
    Jul 11, 2014
    Posts
    296
    Your Mac's Specs
    A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
    Rep Power
    6
    If I remember that program correctly, all the clipart was in either .pcx or .bmp format. You could probably just copy it over to the mac via a thumb drive or?

  7. #7
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,595
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by ankhseeker View Post
    If I remember that program correctly, all the clipart was in either .pcx or .bmp format. You could probably just copy it over to the mac via a thumb drive or?
    @ Fanner.. - I just opened iStudio Publisher and in their Help section, the image file extensions supported is shown in the attachment (quite a few) - proprietary extensions from other specific programs would be a copyright issue and typically will not open - we switched to Macs last spring and our First Publisher from our PCs would not migrate - again, if you have specific questions about this Apple app, check their online support - I've had excellent success via emails. Dave
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  8. #8
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    12,528
    Rep Power
    20
    I just thought I'd mention in case The Print Shop 3 for Mac would be an option as it's now available and runs on OS X 10.6.8 or later, including 10.10 Yosemite according to their site:
    Software MacKiev - International Store

    I haven't used it, but used to use the old Broderbund PPC version way back when.

  9. #9
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,364
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I just thought I'd mention in case The Print Shop 3 for Mac would be an option as it's now available and runs on OS X 10.6.8 or later, including 10.10 Yosemite according to their site:
    Software MacKiev - International Store

    I haven't used it, but used to use the old Broderbund PPC version way back when.
    Ouch! $79.95..... iStudio Publisher is still only $17.99 in the MAS. You can find all sorts of free clip art for download if you browse around. I've downloaded everything from free religious clip art to everyday pix and art.

  10. #10
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    12,528
    Rep Power
    20
    Yeah, a wee bit pricey IMHO, but I understood they had an upgrade or maybe a cross grade pricing available but I couldn't find it when I went looking. Maybe a phone call or email for such a possible offer??? But it would have to be a BIG money reducing offer.

  11. #11
    Replacement for Print Shop ?

    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    56
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
    Rep Power
    7
    I wanted to post an update incase anyone else is interested in a replacement for Print Shop. My wife bought Print Master and is very happy with it. In most cases it does even more than Print Shop does. She bought it and downloaded it from Amazon.com. It was $29.95. Hope this helps someone out who is looking for a replacement to Print Shop. This community has helped me so much, and I'm trying to give back what I can.
    Thanks all.

  12. #12
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,595
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanner50 View Post
    I wanted to post an update incase anyone else is interested in a replacement for Print Shop. My wife bought Print Master and is very happy with it. In most cases it does even more than Print Shop does. She bought it and downloaded it from Amazon.com. It was $29.95. Hope this helps someone out who is looking for a replacement to Print Shop. This community has helped me so much, and I'm trying to give back what I can.
    Well, so much for our 'sage advice' - Used Print Master on a PC years ago - seem to be OK, so hope your wife is happy w/ the program; if not, then please keep in mind the multiple recommendations for a specific app already made in the tread. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  13. #13
    Replacement for Print Shop ?

    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    56
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
    Rep Power
    7
    Dave, LOL If you have one of those creatures called a wife I'm sure you will understand. :-) All of the recommendations were good, even great, but they did not do what she was looking for :-) So, that brought her to Print Master. So, we shall see. Thanks Everyone for your recommendations and advice. PS: I have Smiles turned on, why are they not showing up?
    Last edited by Fanner50; 11-15-2014 at 10:39 AM.

  14. #14
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,595
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanner50 View Post
    Dave, LOL If you have one of those creatures called a wife I'm sure you will understand. :-) All of the recommendations were good, even great, but they did not do what she was looking for :-) So, that brought her to Print Master. So, we shall see. Thanks Everyone for your recommendations and advice. PS: I have Smiles turned on, why are they not showing up?
    Hi again - my wife used the program mainly on our old PC - believe she was happy but let us know since this is a question that does arise periodically - in fact, we faced the situation after switching back to Apple (spring of 2013) - she was using First Publisher and there was no OS X equivalent nor a way to port the files over to her iMac, so we went w/ iStudio Publisher - I've used the app to make about a half dozen 4-fold greeting cards w/o a problem.

    Concerning the 'smileys', I see you used :-) - just eliminate the hyphen, i.e. use the colon or semicolon (wink) for the eyes & just the up or down parentheses for the smile or frown - like this - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  15. #15
    Replacement for Print Shop ?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,364
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    I agree with Dave. When I switched over from Windows back in 2007 - 2008, I seriously thought about using my copy of MS Publisher that I loved and employed for our bulletins and flyers over the years. But that meant I had to load it in a version of Windows running from a Boot Camp dual boot. Instead I tried various Mac programs which never seemed to satisfy what I needed (at a decent price). It wasn't until I came upon iStudio Publisher that I was finally able to do the things with our bulletins and flyers that previously I could only do with MS Publisher.

    And by the way, I have used Print Shop from Windows years ago. I believe at the time it was being developed by Broderbund. It always seemed clunky to me which is why I quickly abandoned it for MS Publisher. MS Publisher is a great app but in my opinion, way overpriced if you buy it separately. My copy was included with the business version of Office for Windows.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Print Shop Network
    By Martlet in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
  2. print shop 2
    By tjsphoto in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 05:05 PM
  3. The Print Shop 2.0.10
    By hschaars in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 06:22 PM
  4. Looking for a good program like Print Master/Print Shop
    By markw10 in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
  5. Print shop software
    By klee in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •