Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

New to Mac for Concert Photo Work
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Book Pro
    In December of I began a new website that features Concert Photos, along with reviews and promotion. I am a Windows person @ heart, but this week, after seeing a 17" Mac Book Pro (My web designer's) I pulled the trigger and will do all my editing and storage on my Mac Pro..

I will be using it as a laptop and it will replace an XP tower, next to my Velocity Micro Windows 7 PC.

Questions:

1) Recommended software?
    2) Use Mac Pro Monitor or an external 26" Samsung Monitor?
    3)Recommended tutorials?

Here is some work I did using Lightroom 3 Beta Windows 7:

jorge

Website is currently being revamped using Word Press to better display pictures and attract viewers.
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
    Recommended Software:
    Photoshop if you can afford it. If not, Pixelmator will do the trick just fine for a lot less. You can try Gimp (free), but I find it to be quite cumbersome and not very intuitive (and it's butt-ugly). Those apps are for editing, but if you simply need to do color adjustments, etc., then you can use Adobe's Lightroom since you're familiar with it, or Apple's Aperture (which is a very similar app). Of course, you probably also have iPhoto already installed, and you could try it to see if you like it.

As far as the monitor, I would never waste the money on an Apple monitor. They're way overpriced for what you get. I got a 30" Dell Ultrasharp for $999 and it's fantastic for photo and design work. Samsung makes a nice LCD as well. Go with what you have.

For tutorials of software, there is no better place than lynda.com - they have video tutorials for tons of software - but it does cost a bit of cash (not too bad).
    The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    If you are use to Lightroom I would stick with that. If you want to try something new then there is Aperture...
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    I agree with sticking to Lightroom. If all your work is based on concert footage and portraits etc, then Photoshop is a waste of money. Sure, it's nice to have on the odd occasion that you'll ever use it, but Lightroom uses the same exact RAW processor, and in the upcoming version 3, its noise reduction capabilities are going to be something you'll likely need if you're shooting at higher ISO's and not using something like a Nikon D3s/D700 etc..

You can also try Aperture, but I can not personally recommend it. IMO Lightroom offers a better deal on the whole. Aperture has always been sluggish to non responsive for me with both my MacBook Pro's and other's whom I've spoken with that were ardent Aperture users admitted that they've become fed up in that same respect.

But try it, perhaps it will be fine for you. As for the monitor, I wholeheartedly agree with Creative Guy. Apple monitors are an absolute rip off. I also agree (as well do professional monitor reviewers and professional graphic artists/photographers) about the Dell Ultrasharp line. You can do better than the Dell with NEC, but those will reaaaally cost you.

While you're at it, if you're doing any printing, (or even if you're not) you should invest in an monitor calibration tool if you don't already have one. I'd recommend the Spyder 3 elite. And remember.. calibrating (creating a profile, rather) is not just a one time thing. It's normal to have to calibrate a monitor at least once a month if not more.

Doug

chas_m
    If you were an ACDSee person in Windows, you might also consider the (currently in beta) Mac version.

rock photographer
    hey its good to see your entering my world. if you have a bunch of questions on whatever shooting music stuff let me know. www.rockstarimages.net love to help.

Thread Information